Friend being targeted at work

I am working seasonal for a huge company. This company employs thousands of students for this seasonal work yearly. I have learned to keep my personal life and work life separate. That is just how I am. However I have made two fairly close friend over my duration of the program thus far. One of whom is my roommate and another is a great friend and support system. Anyway the one who isn't my roommate, lets call him Jake.

Jake is always getting in trouble, not intentionally. Jake started the program before me but later than most. When Jake arrived everyone was already paired up in friends and he just didn't make the cut and is now being targeted since he isn't the favorite of many. Jake hangs out with Corey. Jake and Corey are good friends, they went though training together. Jake and Corey are always telling me how the managers are always extra hard on them and how the other guys are always telling on them for every little thing.

Anyway lets get to the point. My roommate worked a show with several of the original workers and bared witness to them talking about their dislike of Jake and Corey and how they are going to keep reporting them and letting the managers know if they mess up until they get Jake and Corey fired. Since they don't like Jake and Corey. I don't communicate with many since I try to keep my distance. However I know the original guys are close with the managers and with enough persistence I know this can cause Jake and Corey their jobs. I don't know if I can stand to see that. I know how much Jake bust his behind to get into the program.

However I want to keep my name as clean as possible. I don't want to interfere. Would it be a good idea to write a letter to the head about what has been witnessed? I don't plan to tell Jake and Corey about what I heard since I don't want to escalate the problem and I didn't hear it myself. It just hurts me to see a friend trying to make a betterment for his self to only keep getting the bad end of things.

• Author

I have been thinking this over. I think it will be best for Jake to write a letter to the head manager about feeling as if he is getting bullied. Then try to make good with two of our managers by pleading his case. Just so that he can have some people on his side. I am pretty sure what these guys are doing is considered harassment and bullying. I am going to try and convince Jake to ask to be relocated.

Then I am going to ask my coworker to write a letter reporting that she was noticed bullying of other coworkers; with a direct quote from the original workers conversation that was had.

Any input on this will be great. This is really bothering me and I just want to help. If I witness anything myself I will report it to the managers but everyone knows me and Jake are friends and they don't really talk to me and I don't try to either.

Unfortunately, when someone doesn't fit, or when others decide they don't, there is a process in which they do, usually successfully, get that person fired or to resign. It is all done in a way that is not outwardly illegal, and the business, especially corporations, will pay lip service to addressing complaints but will essentially let it happen.

If compelled, bear witness to what you see, anonymous or not (your choice)-the risk to the witness is usually small although if there is a bully personality involved, they may find out and retaliate. But if you are well liked enough, most won't make waves for you.

But it likely won't help. But the thing you can do that may be more helpful is to let him know that you see it and you know it's unfair, and to empathize. Don't go deep into who said what and how you know, just let him know. Many, if not most of us, end up in this very same spot as him in our work lives at some point; the trick is to not carry a chip once you move out of the unfair situation. Other's empathy can help with this. If you know he is a good worker, and you are willing to be a reference, tell him that directly.

Edited by LurkerXX