Hi guys this is just a random question about rent....not any complicated relationship issue...

I am in my first apartment by myself. I have been here about a year and a half and I have never paid the rent late. It's due on the first, we have 5 days to pay until late fee.

Now,

For the first time since I've been here, I simply don't have all my rent. Hard times, just is what it is. I have about 25$ more than half of it, and I can pay the remaining balance (about 400 [including late fee] in about ten days. Will this ruin my relationship with my landlord who has adored me up until this point because I never have any issues and I always pay on time? I could loan the money but I frankly just don't want to. I would rather pay when I can. I have written a letter to provide with my money order for the portion I can pay. Is this okay? I'm new at this so I am completely freaked out!

Unless your landlord's wet behind the ears, you won't be the first tenant he/she's ever had that's not able to pay all their rent on time. That's why they have a late fee structure/deadline pre-set - things happen, and sometimes, rent becomes a lower priority as a result. Your landlord should understand that, and be willing to work with you if you have the stable history of paying on time that you state you have.

As long as you give your landlord advance notice, it really shouldn't be a problem.

I've been at this stage a couple of times. Most of my money is paid by grants so I get two big checks twice a year. One in August and one in January. And for about two months before my August check comes in, I'm completely broke but I know I'll have money coming in.

So I get a cash advance from my credit card and use that for living expenses and rent. Then when my check gets in I right away pay off the cash advance and have a zero balance on my card. Of course there is a fee but it's not too bad.

Don't sweat it OP, and don't try to niggle your way out of the late fees. I cap my fees at 150.00 no matter how late in the month the rent is paid. They get the three day notice to quit if it isn't paid, including late fees, by the time the *next* month's rent is due. It's business. I don't hate them but I won't be pleasant with them either. My bills for the properties go on and have to be paid too. Make promises you can keep, communicate them clearly and then keep them. It'll work out.

Oh, also, I offer Paypal to folks who may need/want to use a credit card. I pay the fee.

I don't think it'll ruin anything with your landlord. It's your first time, and unfortunately, there's a first time for everything. But I think he/she could understand given what's going on. Don't worry.

Oh, also, I offer Paypal to folks who may need/want to use a credit card. I pay the fee.

That's awesome. Wish my landlords would adopt this practice - it sure would help once in a while lol.

LOVE it! Great idea. I'm going to do this.

Its contractual. The Landlord is under no obligation to accept a letter of notice as a waiver or used as leighway. ALl fees will apply and further action can curtail. Know this when signing a lease. Any personal opinions are irrelevant , the fact of non payment on due date will prevail. Landlords do not have to be understanding unless a check in full amount is presented. Then they understand that payment has been made. Ive had private landlords and Corporate landlords the laws of the contract prevail. Once I learned this I knew two things, I abide by the contracted agreement and they are also to do so. I sincerely wish Landlords would be somewhat human in compassion yet its not a requirement. This is solely based on USA provisions.