Admin Assistant Vs. Executive Assistant

I was offered a position I really want. My offer is pending based on passing a background check etc and also references. She mentioned when I say its ok, she wants to call me supervisor. So basically I would have to give in my notice and ask for a reference etc

What I am very worried about is on my resume I placed executive assistant as my title b/c I support one director and 3 vp's etc. The title I officially had was ----- assistant. It was related to the department. Alot of people weren't sure what this role was when I used to place it down and would ask me more questions. It just didn't seem direct. I figured since I did support those in senior positions, i can say executive assistant. I placed duties down on my resume from those I may have done once to those I have done numerous times..such as updating certain things, confirming appointments, car rentals(only did this once or twice but it isn't hard), basic data entry of course and basic admin duties like filing, faxing, copying etc.

I am just worried my boss is not going to agree with this if asked over the phone about my title. Is this there such a big difference here?

I was thinking of talking to my boss and just sort of rehashing the duties I had so they remember and won't be suprised or out of memory if these things comes up. I am thinking of explaining that I placed EA on my resume b/c in the past people didnt understand what type of assistant that was and ask if that is ok. If she isn't ok with that though I really screwed myself :(

I am really nervous..i don't want this job offer taken away from me over something silly i did and then I would have to quit my old job as well..but i honestly figured it shouldn't be the worst thing to do since I was an admin to those in senior positions. In the description explaining what i do on my resume, it says providing administrative support to:

Another thing is..i lowered my salary to get this position..i didn't want to be passed up bc maybe it was too much for them..money wasn't my priority..it was the job.

Please help

I'm pretty sure everyone knows what the the duties of a typical admin assistant entail so if you did in fact perform a lot of those duties then you should be fine.

As long as you are on good terms with your current boss I don't think it would hurt to discuss the matter with him/her. If not then perhaps you can explain the situation to the new employer.

What I am very worried about is on my resume I placed executive assistant as my title b/c I support one director and 3 vp's etc. The title I officially had was ----- assistant. It was related to the department. Alot of people weren't sure what this role was when I used to place it down and would ask me more questions. It just didn't seem direct. I figured since I did support those in senior positions, i can say executive assistant. I placed duties down on my resume from those I may have done once to those I have done numerous times..such as updating certain things, confirming appointments, car rentals(only did this once or twice but it isn't hard), basic data entry of course and basic admin duties like filing, faxing, copying etc.

I'm sorry - I think you are just an Administrative Assistant.

I am an Executive Assistant and have been to three different Presidents. Usually it means doing a lot of things above and beyond departmental jobs within a company.

As an EA, I do a lot of personal work for my executives; personal travel, managing their private lives, doing considerably amount of confidential work. I have access to private bank accounts, book travel for family, have keys to the home, walk the dog, and fill prescriptions.

I started off as an Administrative Assistant to Vice Presidents but when I started working for C-Level (google that) executives, the EA title and salary was bestowed. As an EA, I easily make 30% more than most AAs and receive bonuses and special perks.

To me, there is a remarkable distinction between being an EA and an AA and it is that level of private support which makes the difference.

• Author

is it something the new employer would have questioned already then? and doesn't an ea's role vary? Under EA i have a job description saying Providing administrative support for:

I am really nervous about all of this actually "(

First off, I do think it's fair, if you have an unusual or idiosyncratic title that most people don't understand, to replace it on your resume with the equivalent title that most people understand. Just be prepared to discuss this comfortably in the interview (and if you can't discuss it comfortably, then probably you shouldn't do it).

Different companies and different people will have varied expectations of an EA vs. an AA. Here is what Wikipedia says: "The work of an executive assistant differs slightly from that of an administrative assistant. Executive assistants work for a company officer (at both private and public institutions), and possess the authority to make crucial decisions affecting the direction of such organizations, and is therefore a resource in decision-making and policy setting. The executive assistant performs the usual roles of managing correspondence, preparing research, and communication while also acting as the "gatekeeper," understanding in varying degree the requirements of the executive, and with an ability through this understanding to decide which scheduled events or meetings are most appropriate for allocation of the executive's time.

"An executive assistant may from time to time act as proxy for the executives, representing him/her/them in meetings or communications.

"An executive assistant differs from an administrative assistant in that they are expected to possess a higher degree of business acumen, be able to manage projects, as well as have the ability to influence others on behalf of the executive."

Also, I have typically seen the EA title applied to those supporting C-level execs, not directors (sometimes VPs though - more often in larger orgs).

So it does seem that providing purely administrative and clerical support would not qualify you as an EA. In your shoes, given the high stakes, I would find a way to call the hiring manager at the new job and frankly explain that your exact title was different. You'll find out quickly whether he/she is bothered by this or not. In fact, I would go so far as to say, "Please let me know if there are any concerns at all, before I give the go-ahead to call my current employer." True, this may be a challenging conversation, but guess what....that is a big part of being an EA. Being calm enough in challenging situations to think on your feet and come up with a good answer and a good direction.

Good luck!