Potential Promotion & Feelings of Inferiority

OK this is kind of an awkward time for me at work right now. There's a spot that's opened up for promotion that I've recently put in for. Many of my co-workers have suggested that I would be best for it, and therefore to apply for it. I really think it's a good idea, so I can gain a pay raise (and use the money to further my education in the hopes of eventually finding a much better job or better yet, starting my own business, which we've discussed here before). However, there's this other guy applying. It kinda bothers me that he is. You see, a while back, we both had a thing for the same girl, and he got her. No big deal, I'm happy that he got her (but not really happy for him, I'm just plain happy that I didn't end up with her, who I discovered is NOT the type of girl I'd like to date...), but I've always felt awkward around the guy since then. Perhaps even still envious nonetheless. It's been bugging me ever since I heard that he's put in for it too. I don't know how I'll feel if he beats me out on it. How can I let go of these feelings of inferiority if he does manage to beat me to it? Keep in mind, if he does do it, I'll be working directly beneath him now. I just don't know how I'd handle it. Tommorow's the interview and I'm just going to give it my best shot and prove how valuable I can be. But worst case scenario, I'll be taking orders from this guy, who will have beaten me not once but twice in two different fields. How would you handle it, and how should I? I feel like I've got some kinda complex going on here.

There are plenty of reasons he might get the job over you - none of which would add up to you being inferior to him. That you don't both have identical qualties is just a fact, and it may happen that the qualities he has better suit the position than do yours. Same goes for women - as you've already found out. You would not have wanted her anyway. You need to cast all this in a different light. You aren't better or worse than him, you're just different from him and the things which would suit you won't suit him and vice versa. If he ends up as your boss, learn to work with him. Could be you end up working well together, even!

• Author

I didn't get the job.... but neither did he. Someone else that either one of us can work circles around got it. Now we're BOTH pissed. Looks like we can get along just fine! Kinda funny how that works out, isn't it?

• 1 month later...

You should take solace in the fact that you're more [insert adjective here]. For the love of God, find something you're better than him at! If he would have taken that job from you, does that mean he's a better person than you, and that you should be jealous of him for some reason? YES!

If the results were that he was better at everything in life than you, then the solution would be obvious...you would have to terminate yourself. You wouldn't want to hurt America's future by putting your sub-par genes into the gene-pool would you? It would be socially irresponsible to condemn the children of tomorrow to a life of "sucking at everything."

:)

JK. That was just a satire for my amusement and yours (mostly mine). Seriously though, you can't be number one at everything. So find something your good at and challenge him to it.

• Author
Seriously though, you can't be number one at everything. So find something your good at and challenge him to it

Nah, that's long gone, over and done now. He never really beat me at anything, and we get along just fine these days. No reason to challenge somebody just for the sake of a win. But thanks anyways.