Dating subordinates

Someone recently came to me and asked me for advice on the subject and I thought I'd see what you all think. A friend of mine is thinking of fooling around with his secretary who has a little crush on him. Nothing serious. I think he's mainly after the sex. I think this is an absolute recipe for disaster, but I thought I'd get some other opinions before I tell him that he's lost his mind and he should take his penus elswhere. =) I'm generally opposed to office relationships (though not ALWAYS) and I really don't think it's a good idea for the top dog to sleep with his subordinates. Any other opinions? He's asked for my opinion, but I thought I'd see if there were some reasonable arguments in favor of first just to think things over......

I think this is an absolute recipe for disaster

You are right on the money. He could leave himself open to a lawsuit for harrassment. It would be a real dumb thing to do to get laid. Tell him if he really needs a bit on the side to go cruising bars. Then, at least, his career won't be in jeopardy.

It could work as long as he is very careful and as long as they explain and get an understanding of the terms of the relationship before anything happens. I mean, if they are both just looking for a booty call, then I guess it could work...but that's hard to do without getting attached...esp. if you have to look at each other every day.

I dunno..I mean, it can work - it has worked for a lot of people, but I think over all it isn't a good idea. But the thing is, if he wants to do it, he probably will no matter what you tell him. He probably just asked you about it because he wanted to tell someone his little secret. Deep down, if he wants to, he will. The best advice you could give him would be to just take time to think about it and be careful.

The Rule of Thumb ( no pun intended) is to keep your dick out of the payroll!!!!! There are too many 'raises' to be considered!!!!!

It's just a straight up bad idea and it often leads to the dismissal of both people if things get screwy. The first time the secretary doesn't get the payraise she thinks she deserves, she could use that as leverage, break up with him and file a sexual harassment claim. Now, the truth is that doesn't always happen. What's more likely is that other people around the office might pick up on it and grow bitter. The company will start losing good employees if they feel like someone's getting special treatment in exchange for sex. That, in turn, will eventually affect the company's bottom line and sooner or later, assuming the boss also has a boss, that will affect his employment prospects.

Not a good idea. Unfortunately, he's already in too deep. If I were in his position, I'd just slowly wind it down with her and see if he can't talk his way into becoming "friends" and see how she reacts to that.

• Author

Keep your dick out of the payroll. lol. I love that one. I think that's exactly what I should say. :D

• 4 weeks later...

and done that, only I was the subordinate. It worked out okay for us since my boss eventually left the company to pursue another line of work, and no one ever found out, but I lived in fear of being discovered, and never felt real good about myself while the relationship was going on. I think work relationships are a bad idea. If things go sour and you have to keep working together, it could be pure hell, and if you get caught you could jeopardize your jobs. In a lot of companies too, if you end up marrying a coworker they make one of you resign.

>>>In a lot of companies too, if you end up marrying a coworker they make one of you resign.<<<

Depends on the circumstances. If the affair was known to the company prior to the marriage, then in all likelihood the company can't do s*** once they get married (at least not without the threat of a wrongful termination lawsuit hanging over their head). Companies also have to have a policy prohibiting the dating of co-workers in order to be in safe territory.