Catch 22 -- this is a rant!

HokeyReligions

I did not work this past week. I've sent out resumes and made phone calls, etc., and I resigned myself to the fact that I may have all of December off. Then late Friday I got a call for a two-week project in downtown Houston. Okay, great - I can sure use the money.

Now I get an email from a couple of places that I applied to and they want me to set up interviews next week. Super! Working on special projects sometimes is helpful, but I need a permanent job. The problem: The agency that is sending me downtown wants me to commit to full-time for two weeks and has said that if I don't work the full weeks they won't even bother to send out my resume's anymore. They have given me most of my work so far and they are a great resource, but the demand a commitment. I either have to commit to them and not interview, or drop them as a resource. Pretty crappy of them to do that, but in today's employment climate here in the Houston area I can understand it. When I work on a project for one of their clients I am representing them and they don't want someone who in the first week of work is asking for a morning or afternoon off - their clients need a full-time commitment.

The interviews may not come to anything - I've interviewed for lots of jobs and haven't had an offer yet. But if I don't get the interviews I might miss out on a permanent position.

Its so frustrating! I'll go downtown tomorrow and use my lunch hour to set up an interview and talk to the downtown client about allowing me to come in late and work late to get the project completed. Because of the distances between the project downtown and the location of the interviewes it is impossible to do it on a lunch hour. If the agency doesn't like it I'll just have to risk it. I hate this part of looking for a job!

• Author
HokeyReligions

I know - I'm very lucky. Frustrated, but lucky! I know people who are experiencing far worse problems, I've been in worse situations too. I've been very fortunate to have found the short-term projects I have worked on since last May when I lost my permanent job.

Hokey -

Is there no chance you could interview either before or after hours? When I was a management type, I frequently honored interviewee's requests to meet early in the morning or later in the evening. Perhaps if you explain to the hiring managers that you are on a critical assignment that will last for the next 2 weeks but that you are very interested in being considered for the position and would like to make alternative arrangements, they will accommodate you.

Good luck!

I agree with cdn - plus, you might assess the situation Monday (assuming the 2 week job starts tomorrow) to see

if it really will last the entire two weeks or if the client can be flexible with your start/stop times. You may be worrying for nothing. Deep breaths....

Thinking positive thoughts for more permanent employment for you!

• Author
HokeyReligions

Thank you all,

Yes, I do arrange my interviewes for first thing in the morning or late afternoon and everyone has been very flexible -- they understand that I'm working. I'm sure that this week will be no different, I'll talk to the client I start working for tomorrow and we will arrange something.

There is a new person at the agency I went through and this is her policy about people interviewing for other jobs while on an assignment. If their client is happy with me they won't want to break in another person after only a couple of days.

I am hoping against hope that I hear from a management company this week. They need an administrative manager to oversee a staff of 28 (the largest staff I have supervised is 15, but I can be responsible for more) and the work sounds interesting. They need someone who can negotiate contracts and handle multiple clients -- everything that we talked about on the phone is what I do! I hope, I hope, I hope to get an in-person interview with them.

Hokey.....I wish you ALL the luck in getting the perfect job in the end. It may take some juggling.....but you can handle it. PROUD OF YOU! :)

Arabess