LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

I've hate my job yet feel trapped


Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th August 2011, 11:25 PM   #46
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Lish View Post
The thing is- the owner is CHEAP- and when a Manager quits- she is never in a hurry to hire a new one, she just makes ME micro manage the daily operations of my stores without managers. I've been running from store to store in my district acting as AM and M- because 2 of my 4 stores (soon to be six - but no raise for taking on those extra 2 stores) do not have a manager.

My RM has 18 stores, and in total I'd say 40% of the stores are currently operating without a manager.
Except when enough people quit at the same time, then the company's organisational system/structure is bound to break. She can't keep shoving all the work of the people who quit onto the ones who don't. There's a limit to what an organisation at a company can take. Considering the pressure you're under and the fact that you and your colleague want to quit (after others already did), I'd say that limit has been passed a while ago already.

The only point that that break of structure would have though is for her to realize that her style of running the company, i.e. with an iron fist while at the same time being unreasonable, isn't working.

But from the description you've given regarding the way she treats people and the way she acts, I wonder if that realization will ever dawn on her.
Nexus One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 11:31 PM   #47
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 12,237
I wouldn't recommend screwing with a previous employer by quitting as a unit. You want to maintain good relations since in the future, you may need them for a reference. It's also possible they might end up to be the only option for employment sometime in the future.

Toe the line so all your past references are glowing and rehire is an option.
threebyfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 11:39 PM   #48
Established Member
 
D-Lish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by threebyfate View Post
D, you've got an opportunity here. What you're building is employee loyalty and when you find another job, make sure your ex-employees know where you've gone. This way, instead of having to head hunt, they will come to you and in no way will you have violated any non-comp/muzzle agreements.
You know what is funny? She just texted me asking me if I'd move to Vancouver. Apparantly she engaged a head hunter and has an opportunity and an interview. I just signed a year lease :-(

If I moved to a different company and stayed in retail- I can gurantee you 90% of the girls would come with me if I asked. The managers and staff that have stayed tell me that it's because they are loyal to me because I treat them with respect and give them a lot of support and compassion.

Obviously I am a buffer between myself and the stores I look after. If the managers knew what the owner screamed about everyday, they'd quit. They only get a quarter of the flack I get- and I know I only get 50% of the flack my RM gets.
__________________
Frosted Lucky Charms are magically delicious!
D-Lish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 11:43 PM   #49
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by threebyfate View Post
I wouldn't recommend screwing with a previous employer by quitting as a unit. You want to maintain good relations since in the future, you may need them for a reference. It's also possible they might end up to be the only option for employment sometime in the future.

Toe the line so all your past references are glowing and rehire is an option.
With a boss like D-Lish described, I doubt it's possible to get good references from her boss at all when you quit, let alone get rehired by her. Unless of course her iron fist and unreasonable way of treating employees is an act and she's bluffing when she makes threats.
Nexus One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 12:08 AM   #50
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 12,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Lish View Post
You know what is funny? She just texted me asking me if I'd move to Vancouver. Apparantly she engaged a head hunter and has an opportunity and an interview. I just signed a year lease :-(
Vancouver is wonderful (homer cheers!) but Toronto has far more retail opportunities.

Quote:
If I moved to a different company and stayed in retail- I can gurantee you 90% of the girls would come with me if I asked. The managers and staff that have stayed tell me that it's because they are loyal to me because I treat them with respect and give them a lot of support and compassion.
So now, not only are you an excellent people motivator as an area supe, you also come with a ready made staff. Time to sell yourself!!

Quote:
Obviously I am a buffer between myself and the stores I look after. If the managers knew what the owner screamed about everyday, they'd quit. They only get a quarter of the flack I get- and I know I only get 50% of the flack my RM gets.
When...not if, you leave, the removal of yourself as a barrier, will only help to illustrate to staff why they need to approach you for a job!
threebyfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 12:28 AM   #51
Established Member
 
D-Lish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus One View Post
With a boss like D-Lish described, I doubt it's possible to get good references from her boss at all when you quit, let alone get rehired by her. Unless of course her iron fist and unreasonable way of treating employees is an act and she's bluffing when she makes threats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by threebyfate View Post
Vancouver is wonderful (homer cheers!) but Toronto has far more retail opportunities.

So now, not only are you an excellent people motivator as an area supe, you also come with a ready made staff. Time to sell yourself!!

When...not if, you leave, the removal of yourself as a barrier, will only help to illustrate to staff why they need to approach you for a job!
You don't need refernces in high end management in retail because they know they are stealing you from another company, so it's just a given that you don't check references.

I could say my experience is 5 years and lie on my resume.
D-Lish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 12:36 AM   #52
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,433
Here's a little known trick lots of employers use when hiring. They put up a requirement for the job demanding many years of experience, then when someone comes at the job interview and they don't meet the required years of experience, then the employer negotiates down the interviewee's wage.

It's something to keep in mind when you see an employer ask for excessive years of experience or demand a long list of requirements. Usually it's not needed for the job, but it's used as leverage to negotiate down your wage.

Dirty tricks.
Nexus One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 12:40 AM   #53
Established Member
 
D-Lish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by threebyfate View Post
Vancouver is wonderful (homer cheers!) but Toronto has far more retail opportunities.

So now, not only are you an excellent people motivator as an area supe, you also come with a ready made staff. Time to sell yourself!!

When...not if, you leave, the removal of yourself as a barrier, will only help to illustrate to staff why they need to approach you for a job!
I have so many wonderful people working under me.
I actually would move for more money- most of the people working for me start at minimum wage.

Manager's start at a really crap wage.
D-Lish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 12:40 AM   #54
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 12,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Lish View Post
You don't need refernces in high end management in retail because they know they are stealing you from another company, so it's just a given that you don't check references.

I could say my experience is 5 years and lie on my resume.
As a big believer in not ever burning employment bridges, maybe I'm being too cautious. Even though in the past, I too was stolen from firm to firm, it helped for future thefts that I always left on good terms. Building a reputation is key within my industry and I'm guessing it helps in yours. But maybe I'm wrong.

As far as lying on your resume, I wouldn't advise it.
threebyfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 1:10 AM   #55
Established Member
 
D-Lish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by threebyfate View Post
As a big believer in not ever burning employment bridges, maybe I'm being too cautious. Even though in the past, I too was stolen from firm to firm, it helped for future thefts that I always left on good terms. Building a reputation is key within my industry and I'm guessing it helps in yours. But maybe I'm wrong.

As far as lying on your resume, I wouldn't advise it.
Oh, no worries, I wouldn't lie , I'd feel too guilty, and it's not my style.
In my industry you could though- people don't check references because they are always "stealing" someone from another company. Retail is cut-throat in upper management.

Me? I am honest- and creative- so I tailor my resume to every job I apply to.
D-Lish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 1:58 AM   #56
Established Member
 
betterdeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: This mortal coil
Posts: 4,857
Journal Entries: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by threebyfate View Post
As a big believer in not ever burning employment bridges, maybe I'm being too cautious.
In this case, I think you are. Maintaining a good relationship with an ex who drove you to medication is not only a waste of your resources, it's impossible.

D-Lish, as for your tenancy, it's just a deposit that you'll lose. Think positive. All the balls and chains that hold you back are in your head. You're telling us about all these brilliant things that are in your favour, and you made that happen. You made your good relations with your staff and your RM.

Whether you move to Vancouver or stay living where you are, you're going to be okay.
__________________
Guide to life after going NC
The trick is not minding that it hurts
betterdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011, 11:44 PM   #57
Established Member
 
D-Lish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus One View Post
Here's a little known trick lots of employers use when hiring. They put up a requirement for the job demanding many years of experience, then when someone comes at the job interview and they don't meet the required years of experience, then the employer negotiates down the interviewee's wage.

It's something to keep in mind when you see an employer ask for excessive years of experience or demand a long list of requirements. Usually it's not needed for the job, but it's used as leverage to negotiate down your wage.

Dirty tricks.
Oh I know that! They do it in my company!

I got offerred my original position at much lower than I asked for. I was straight up about my expectations and although it took a while for them to call me back- they did call me back and accept my terms. My punishment for that has been to make my monthly goals so unrealistic that I don't make commissions. I guess there is always a way of getting around paying your staff what they deserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by threebyfate View Post
As a big believer in not ever burning employment bridges, maybe I'm being too cautious. Even though in the past, I too was stolen from firm to firm, it helped for future thefts that I always left on good terms. Building a reputation is key within my industry and I'm guessing it helps in yours. But maybe I'm wrong.

As far as lying on your resume, I wouldn't advise it.
I know I already answered a bit- but retail is a different breed of employment. I'd be leaving with my boss to go somewhere else- so I'd have a built in reference with her taking me with her.

It's really more about the experience you have in your resume. Retail is more about resume and experience than reference.
My current boss didn't even check any of my references when she hired me. Nobody gives two weeks notice in my industry, you usually just walk and it's understood by others in the business that when you're "stealing" someone that you have to go with your gut in an interview because you can't call for a reference lest you jeapordize their job.

I am fortunate to be in a position where it is my boss that wants to take me with her.

I just can't move to Van as it stands. I don't want to leave Toronto, and I want to branch out of retail. If my RM leaves the company- she'll happily give me a reference if I decide to go somewhere else, because she'll be somewhere else and won't have any concerns over me leaving her hanging.

Last edited by D-Lish; 2nd September 2011 at 11:48 PM..
D-Lish is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I hate my abusive middle aged mother. I tried, now I feel completely trapped. Flutterbye Abuse 7 10th March 2009 7:54 PM
I feel trapped... SuperNedro Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being 3 19th December 2008 10:13 PM
Feel Trapped? Micke81 Marriage & Life Partnerships 13 27th January 2008 2:40 PM
I feel trapped artemis32 Dating 4 24th September 2007 7:41 AM
I feel trapped! jason7231 Dating 2 16th March 2004 6:51 PM

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:49 AM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2013 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.