Six month temp...are they going to hire me?

Bittersweetie

Hi all,

I was hired as a temp six months ago to assist an employee in a department I had interned at while pursuing my graduate degree. She had too many responsibilities and I came in to help her out. Less than a week after I started, she gave notice to leave and the company hired another temp to work with us. After the original employee left, I took on the more senior responsibilities, while the second temp took on the more administrative tasks.

When I started, I was told it was a 1-2 month assignment with the possibility of being brought on full-time. When the official position opened, I interviewed with HR, my managers, and it seemed I was a shoe-in for the position. Then, in April, the senior executive of my dept was let go by the higher-ups which began a period where no one knew what was going on. Then in June, my department restructured, but only at the higher level, as they said they were still working on figuring out the lower (my) level. That was two months ago and it's still up in the air.

My managers tell me what a great job I'm doing, which I appreciate. I've lightly asked about the hiring and been told they're working on it...but I'm beginning to wonder, are they really? I'm grateful to have a job in my industry right after finishing my master's degree, don't get me wrong. And I do the job as best I can every day. But obviously it would be nice to have something more stable and with benefits.

I think I'm going to speak with my manager in a couple of weeks as she's going on maternity leave and I feel like that will be another opportunity for them to push things back. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions for that conversation? If they're looking at me as just a long-term temp, that's fine, I just wish they'd say so. And yes, I am continuing to look for another position.

Thanks,

B

ilikesunita

It depends. Them hiring you would cost less in learning and development for new staff member. as you say you're doing a good job, then it would be another point in your favour.

Did you ever see my messages about being laid off?

1.4 years as a temp, never hired, ignored by all the hiring managers and bosses and finally fired.

that's how they treat temps, especially if you don't fit in. They just suck you up and don't care if you get injured( like i did)

Did you ever see my messages about being laid off?

1.4 years as a temp, never hired, ignored by all the hiring managers and bosses and finally fired.

that's how they treat temps, especially if you don't fit in. They just suck you up and don't care if you get injured( like i did)

Quiet guy, if you got injured on the job, then you should have filed for Workman's Comp with your employer.

Bittersweet - who knows what they will do? But I can tell you this; my H recently was in charge of a friendly take-over, and it took a number of months to get everything settled in terms of hiring/firing/replacing. And it started from the top, and trickled its way down.

I think your plan to talk with your manager before her mat leave is a good one; don't put it off to the second or last day before she leaves, though. She will be swamped with details and people, and she may not have the mental time to devote to your situation.

I hope it works out!

• Author
Bittersweetie

Hi, thanks for the responses.

What's funny is that my company had another executive reorg this week...we're on our third CEO this year. Fun times! And the new guy said he has no plans to change the current structure, but who knows if that's true. So I imagine it will be more time as all these things settle and trickle down yet again. The good thing is that this new guy is an obvious better fit for the company than the old one, so hopefully that will lead to some more positive changes.

I still plan on talking to my manager, my goal is by the end of the month, as her maternity leave starts the end of Sept.