Not qualified for anything?

fortyninethousand322

I just received another "final screen-not selected" status updates on yet another job I applied for. :(

I've been trying for a while now to get into the foreign policy/intelligence analysis field. I have a bachelor's degree that focused on a critical needs region, some (very limited) language skills, and pretty much my own smarts, that's it. I have no work experience related to the field (despite my best efforts). My only work experience is in retail, a field that I don't want to spend the rest of my life in.

I've tried looking at private sector firms that might be related to what I'm looking for, but I can never find a job opening for which I am qualified. A good friend of mine advised me to look for employment and get some work experience before heading back to school to get my Masters (which I would like to do at some point). Since I was kind of burned out from undergrad it looked like a good idea. Now I'm not so sure.

So I guess, is my lack of work experience in my preferred field a great insurmountable hindrance to me? Is it merely a lack of networking? And, would it be worth it to just bite the bullet and get my Masters degree? Should I keep chugging away at this, or should I just go back into retail?

I don't know, I guess I'm just bummed out since this last one actually looked pretty promising. C'est la vie I suppose. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.