Clearly a sign of the times? I been laid off 5 times in 6 years

Just got laid of yesterday and It's clearly a sign that we are in a bad economy. I was employed for 6 straight years, 1999-2005 and after that it was all down hill. I'm just kicking myself that I didn't have the SAVING mindset during the years so I could have that money in the bank.

This layoff is a little different because it was everyone including the Top performers who been with the company for 7 years, Our company has not gotten a contact yet for this fiscal year so it just wasnt enough money to continue paying everyone. So I expect everyone to be called back after a month or less. I just want to have another 6 year run is that so much to ask?-lol

It's certainly tough out there. I'm sat here watching by business go down the pan. Had to lay off my boys a while back and lost my right hand man last week. He'd been with me for 14 years. Can't even compete when there's no work to bid for, and now I have no boys I can't bid when work does show it's face.

Good luck with yours, fella.

• Author
It's certainly tough out there. I'm sat here watching by business go down the pan. Had to lay off my boys a while back and lost my right hand man last week. He'd been with me for 14 years. Can't even compete when there's no work to bid for, and now I have no boys I can't bid when work does show it's face.

Good luck with yours, fella.

And i been in this field for 11 years and if I was t look fior a new job it would be a dfferent field. And I would have to figure out what that field would be since 95% of my work history is in one field

And i been in this field for 11 years and if I was t look fior a new job it would be a dfferent field. And I would have to figure out what that field would be since 95% of my work history is in one field

My main man faced a similar situation. He could have stayed with me and toughed it out for a while, instead he opted to jump ship and train up in a new field with another company.

I think the times are going get much worse. I'm already looking to learn a new skill, maybe start another business. Never hurts to think ahead and have a back up plan.

• Author
My main man faced a similar situation. He could have stayed with me and toughed it out for a while, instead he opted to jump ship and train up in a new field with another company.

I think the times are going get much worse. I'm already looking to learn a new skill, maybe start another business. Never hurts to think ahead and have a back up plan.

My boss wanted to make sure my number was saved in her phone so she can contact me to return whenever a new contract is finalized. But of course I will still put myself in position to get a new opportunity and not wait on a phone call.

I was employed for 6 straight years, 1999-2005 and after that it was all down hill.

I hear ya Philly. 2005 was the year my career started becoming turbulent as well. It's been a rollercoaster for the last 6 years and shows no signs of letting up. It's almost like the nature of employment is changing. I am most certainly feeling more... disposable. Companies are still singing the tune of "We CARE about our employees" - but nobody's buying it anymore, because it is simply not true. Company loyalty is fast disappearing as a result. You might as well look out strictly for yourself, because your employer certainly isn't.

I can relate when I started at my current company, there was lots of employees. Now there's only a handful of people and we lost our biggest client, as they want to go into business themselves. Now I'm looking elsewhere.

• Author

Well I liked hearing this from the HR lady when she gave me letter just before I left on friday

"Hope to see you soon"