A new job with more risk, or stay put?

Looking for some opinions here....

I am in a stable job with a good company in a profession I enjoy. The problem is, it has lost its challenge and I am very flat and bored at work. I still enjoy the work and the people, but there is no challenge, and my drive for work has diminished as a result.

Now, there is the option of other work with another company, which would be a great change and offer more variety and challenge.

The problem- it is only a fill-in position to cover some maternity leave, and then into a job-share for a limited time, and then ...nothing. The company says other work could flow on from it. But then again- it might not. It is a great company and would also be good experience and mean good contacts for me in the future in my industry.

Throw into the equation that my partner and I are saving hard at the moment, as we hope to take a year off work to go travelling, in about 15 months time. Therefore, I am worried about delaying our plans, by potentially reducing our income down the track. My bf is v. supportive, and says it's my call, but he knows it's a risk.

My gut is telling me to take the leap and take a risk and go for the change, and that things will be ok.

My head is telling me it's a big risk, especially considering our travel plans (we've been working and saving towards this for quite a while).

I have also been feeling down in general lately...and have suffered insecurity and jealousy problems (as some of you may have read). I feel like I need to reenergise myself and my life...and stopping worrying about my bf's past relationships etc, and just get on with living. Part of me feels a change of job would help my state of mind and give me more enthusiasm....but it's a risk...and doesn't just impact me!

Thoughts?? What would you do?

I might change jobs if the trip weren't looming. It's not that long to bear for a great reward. Can you find another way to energize yourself rather than ditching the job? Can you take on new duties on the job, for instance?

• Author

Yes, I have actually embarked on some extra work recently, which did help for a while. Perhaps I should keep trying to find new ways to make my current position more interesting. Then I can maintain financial stability until we go. And I also realise I'm in a good position.

I've also been thinking of perhaps doing some extra courses or something. :)

My partner and I are both successful in our respective professions. Yet we are living in a regional area with an elderly population at the moment. Therefore, my friends aren't close by, and there isn't a lot happening for younger people in the area. I did make some friends here, but, as most younger folk do, they've moved elsewhere for their careers or to go back to the city. My partner loves his job, so he tends to focus on that and us, whereas I need other stuff to fill my life, as my job isn't quite enough. And the more time I have to think, the more time I worry about things I shouldn't (like his relationship with his ex)!

You should follow me around. Everything I get into seems to be populated with a much older crowd LOL. Mind you, they're a blast. Two of my favourite dance partners long ago left 60 behind!!! One is 73!!!!! So who knows - there may well be some real fun hobbies you can take up to make the next year flly by.

• Author

Yes, there are actually some good dance classes around here. My mum lives nearby and went for a while. She said the other dancers were mostly older than her, but she had fun. I should perhaps join in...then again, lawn bowls is VERY popular in this town :D .. Then I could wear a nice white uniform.

And hey, my bf and I sit home having scrabble tournaments some nights. We are truly hip.