Everybody says "just do anything"

When I ask friends/ family for career advice. But thats how I ended up in a job I hate in the first place. I want career planning not "just do anything". Worst advice ever.

Eddie Edirol

Why would you need advise? You look online for jobs that you think you would like and apply for them only. You dont need your family to tell you to do that.

I know in London there are places like "Connexions" for up to 19 year olds where they will talk to you, give you a test to do & advise you on what type of career you'd be suited to.

They also help you with your CV & help you to apply for jobs from their listed vacancies.

I don't know how old you are but if there are no places like that in Oz, I've found normal recruitment agencies (the smaller ones, not ones like Reed etc) to be very helpful.

I went to one & spoke to the woman honestly...she looked at my CV & based on my previous experience (& "transferable skills") she recommended I try a few different temp jobs in different fields, made a few different copies of my CV (to suit the different fields she suggested) & sent them off to suitable vacancies they had listed.

She said to come back after some months (& after the temp jobs were completed) & we would discuss the next step but after the investment company I worked for (a job she got me) folded, I f**ked off to Thailand to visit some family members & have ended up settling here LOL

So give recruitment agencies a try. I know most of them are extremely unhelpful but there are some out there that do go the extra mile.

Good Luck!

At the end of the day, only YOU can figure out what you want to do. Have a think about how you will find that out - do online research, try different kinds of work, see a career's advisor, do voluntary work, etc. When you do ask for advice, don't ask people what you should do, but ask about their experiences with doing different kinds of work and see if any of it sounds interesting to you. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Author

I know that its up to me and not anyone else, but I'm still feeling lost. I tried talking to a careers advisor but they weren't helpful at all.