Why companies hire you more For Your Talking then for your abilities?

All the companies i worked have always been the same.

So i've been temp to hire but they never did the hiring part in any of my jobs because they didn't like me because I'm not a talker.

That's the only reason. The actual job i did well and even better than many.

But that doesn't seem to matter.

They only care about how you talk.

People say some fields you don't have to talk. Oh yeah? All of the companies i've been to everyone was a talker including IT, Engineers, drafters.

Everyone!

In fact, one of my coworkers

was a former gangster and didn't even go to college, and she kept talking bad behind the company's back, and she got hired and promoted just cause she's an outgoing talker.

So is schooling really helpful or is it more about SCHOOLING + Being an outgoing talker.

I think the second one is the truth.

Quiet_guy, I think you need to seriously look at speech therapy. You seem to have an idea that all of your issues stem from not being able to speak well or properly.

You have said in past posts that you have a learning disability, thumbs that don't work, an injured shoulder and spine that prevent you from lifting things, a hearing deficit, and an inability to walk well. These things probably also have a bearing on whether or not you are hired.

I suggested earlier that you try to enroll at a community college and learn some skills that don't rely on oral communication with the public or with mobility or strength. You could do computer repair, you could be a grant writer, you could do research, you could be a PI.

So - how are your efforts to make yourself more hireable in an appropriate field working out? Have you looked into the fall semester for local schools? Have you looked into speech therapy?

• Author

"I suggested earlier that you try to enroll at a community college and learn some skills that don't rely on oral communication with the public or with mobility or strength. You could do computer repair, you could be a grant writer, you could do research, you could be a PI.

So - how are your efforts to make yourself more hireable in an appropriate field working out? Have you looked into the fall semester for local schools? Have you looked into speech therapy?"

Well you wanna know my efforts?

Here they are:

-I'm looking and calling places everyday

-I called the hospital manager and i left a message about setting up an intereview( i messed up so he probably didn't take me serously and will not answer). I called other job places last week too.

-I went to try to volunteer in some places

-I started speech therapy last week and so far had 2 sessions.

-I'm doing my tongue and reading exercises that the therapist told me to do.

-I also sign up for the other kind of therapy to talk about other stuff.

-I'm going to the doctor this week

-I called for the college but they said i need documentation for my condition so that they can see what i have so they can advise me better on what to take

This is EXCELLENT news!!

Keep on with the speech therapy (and yay for you for doing the exercises that you are assigned!), and keep on with the individual therapy. I am seriously proud of you for taking the initiative on these things!! When you get your paperwork together from your doctor, then you can work on a education path for an actual career, rather than just finding some random jobs that aren't using your talents or natural enthusiasm!

Don't let the momentum slip!!

• Author
This is EXCELLENT news!!

Keep on with the speech therapy (and yay for you for doing the exercises that you are assigned!), and keep on with the individual therapy. I am seriously proud of you for taking the initiative on these things!! When you get your paperwork together from your doctor, then you can work on a education path for an actual career, rather than just finding some random jobs that aren't using your talents or natural enthusiasm!

Don't let the momentum slip!!

Thanks.

Well but there's one problem. how do i go to school and then pay for my food , school loans from 2003, save money, help my parents cause they retire soon and they're immigrants with no retirement benefits or nothing. (they just get a little amount very little)

and then i'm slow so doing work and school at the same time it's really tough. I'm slow at learning.

and i heard toget benefits or to get help from the california employment center to pay for the college, you have to only work part time.

any tips?

my parents are expecting for me to work full time and help out. Not to be going to school.

Feelin Frisky

The issue is not "talking", it's being able to "sell" yourself. In other words, it's how you speak when it really counts. Do you have problems with speech? Or do you have problems with fear and anxiety about speaking with others? Or both?

A speech therapist will not help you if your real issue is self-consciousness. A psychiatrist can help with that and there's absolutely nothing to lose by seeing one and trying medicine to help the fear factor go away.

• Author

i have both . i told you guys(in variou sthreads)

but the "fear and anxiety about speaking with others" is because of the speech problem.people just think i'm stupid.

and i can't speak fluent so they think i'm weird. it happens all the time.

even the dumb company director teased me and didn't like me because she thought i was making it up.

And they had a sign "Patients first" cause it was a medical type company. and guess what they weren't even considerate of people with disablities(me). Patients first, give me a break. they're just about the money and the gossiping culture

Feelin Frisky
i have both . i told you guys(in variou sthreads)

but the "fear and anxiety about speaking with others" is because of the speech problem.people just think i'm stupid.

and i can't speak fluent so they think i'm weird. it happens all the time.

even the dumb company director teased me and didn't like me because she thought i was making it up.

And they had a sign "Patients first" cause it was a medical type company. and guess what they weren't even considerate of people with disablities(me). Patients first, give me a break. they're just about the money and the gossiping culture

So have you seen a psychiatrist or not? You keep being dismissive and not saying whether you've gone that route with the vigor necssary to sustain positive change to yourself.

any tips?

Use all the facilities at your disposal. Look up your city's website and find the one that helps you get connected to the resources you need. America is FULL of ways to get help to get all this accomplished. You just have to look for them. Or you could start with www.unitedway.org. That's what they're there for.