New job but want to do training course!!

I went for an interview today and was offered the position. I'm chuffed as I worked very hard for this job! It is a step up the ladder in the career I want (teaching) however, I intend to apply for the teaching training course later this year and, if I'm successful, I will be joining it next year (2012). My problem is, I mentioned my aspirations in my interview and was asked if I had any intentions of doing the course in the near future. I was honest and said yes but not for a few years. I knew if I said next year it would impact the job and if I was to change my mind about the course I would have missed out on a fabulous job. I am worried how my new boss will react if I am offered a place. She will have to give me a day off to attend applications. Do I have the right to do this?

• 2 weeks later...

Once I was in a similar situation and decided not to tell my supervisor I was taking the night classes - mainly because I did not want her to feel threatened that I was trying to move up into her spot. I took a vacation day and sat for my exams... and it was ok.

My mom always taught me to give any job I was given a full year before moving on for other things. That way, you honor their faith in you, you give them a full year of your hard work so they get what they paid for. Toward the end of that year, let them know you will be looking into the other options. By then, they should be able to respect your choices. And you can look at yourself in the mirror.