Negative References for New Job

I'm in the interviewing process to get hired for a new job at the University where I am a student. The hiring person stated multiple times that he is interested in hiring me and today, he called asking for references.

I gave him one from my current job (part time, seasonal), and the one I worked before, which I recently quit. I called both of them to tell them first, the one I recently quit stated that she was unhappy with the fact I did not give 2 weeks notice, but rather quit immediately. She said that she was otherwise very pleased with my work during the time I worked for her. At the time, I thought I had good reasons for doing this.

So when I emailed the references to the hiring person, I mentioned that this had happened and that I had nothing to hide and I'd be happy to discuss it further with him. Now I'm waiting to hear back from him.

What do you guys think? I realize it looks like an unprofessional move on my part, but is it a deal-breaker? Could I do anything to soften it, beyond what I already did (i.e. owning up to it)?

Any advice would be appreciated...

Arabella

I think you handled it in the best way possible and I don't think there's more you can do at this point. Whether it's a deal breaker in this particular situation is really difficult to say. Just prepare yourself for that conversation with your potentially new boss in case it comes.

• Author

When I originally applied for this new job, I was doing so in advance for the new semester, which begins in September. I anticipated that I would need a new one after my seasonal work ended.

At the time, the hiring person went as far as to ask me if I would be willing to drop one of my two jobs on-campus in order to work for him over the Summer too, as he had need of someone right away.

I said that wouldn't be possible, as I had already committed to both jobs for the summer, but ultimately ended up leaving the one due to other reasons.

Due to this, it kind of makes me think that he might not care very much about my leaving without leaving proper notice.

I'm really anxious about this right now. I've spent months networking in that department to get that job and everything could crumble on me because of this :(

• Author

Well, apparently he didn't really care about it after all.

I got the job :)