Important interview that I must do well in

I found a part-time job less than a week ago, but was called the other day for an interview later this week for a full-time position. It's a big deal because it's a managerial position for a fairly well-known hotel chain, and I have no management experience. I have experience in the industry (hotel), but not in the specific area I'd be working in (front office). I do have some customer service experience under my belt, and advanced computer/phone skills. From the Craigslist ad I met all their qualifications, on paper anyway.

I really want this job. Scratch that. I don't just want it. I NEED it. This could be the start of a real career for me, so I need to ace this interview. I've been looking up average job descriptions for front office managers, average salaries, etc. Anyone here with any experience at all in this area, or someone you know, who can give me some pointers? What sort of questions should I ask? I feel like since I don't have experience I should ask questions so that I look eager to learn and grow, rather than trying to pass myself off as a pompous know-it-all. I hate when they ask you to tell them about yourself because I never know what to say. What do you say when you're asked that question? Is it okay to ask about salary/benefits? Should I research the chain? Heeeeelp!

My rule is never, ever ask about salary and benefits unless offered the job. If you ask, it just says you care about the money and not the job - wrong message.

Definitely research the chain - when I interview, if the candidate says something which again indicates that they are interested in YOUR job and not just any job, it is in their favour. It can also give you some information to use if given the chance to ask any questions e.g. so I understand you have started working in/doing ********, how is that working out?

Agree with Anne, never ask about salary unless offered a position. Definitely research all information you can find on the web site.

I don't have experience in that sector, but here's a thing I generally do when I apply for jobs and/or prepare for interviews: Go through the list of qualifications in the ad, and think of specific examples that link your previous experience with the points mentioned in the ad.

Example:

- communication skills

'In job X, I had the chance to develop my oral communication skills through the tasks of a, b, c. Additionally, job Y taught be to do e, f, g, because I regularly had to do X as part of my job.' and so on - contextualise for your own purposes, but the point is to present specific evidence that show that you are the best candidate in terms of the qualifications they are looking for.

You can also approach your lack of management experience in that way. I agree with what you're saying about not BS-ing it and rather showing that you're keen to learn, but there might be things you have done in your past that can contribute to doing management, e.g. 'while I don't have direct management experience, my job at Y taught me a lot about dealing with people/ solving conflicts/ managing shift lists/ insert whatever, which I think could be useful knowledge to carry over in a management position'. And so on.

I find that preparing in this way, makes it easier for me to respond to questions during interviews. It often also makes me see how I can twist previous experience in ways I hadn't thought of before - think explicating and making clear your transferrable skills.

The open ended 'tell us about yourself' question is a pain in the butt. I try to give a brief summary of the key aspects of my experience (along the lines of 'in short, my experience centres on the areas of a, b, and c, as you have already seen from my CV I have worked with blablalba), and then connecting that to the application (based on this experience, I am keen to work with x, y, z and to broadening my knowledge and experience in these areas, and the job you are offering seems to be exactly what I'm looking for) - in other words, a brief overview of your past career which makes the bridge into the position you are applying for appear natural, thus underscoring what you can bring to their company and the link between your motivations and the advertised position.

Good luck :) go impress them!

spacegirlspiff

Do a research on their chain of hotels. Let them see how well you know about them.

Since they intend to offer you a full-time position, it shows that they like your work ethics & competency while being in part-time employment.

AND never try to impress them with 'fake' work experiences or of things that you have never done before. They can tell.

• Author

Thank you! I will definitely work on all that, Denise. I have a good amount of time left as the interview is on Thursday. I work until Tuesday so I can have evenings and all of Wednesday to prepare.

• Author

So, the interview went really well. I did everything you said, Denise. ;):laugh: The general manager seemed pretty impressed with me. He said he has a few more interviews to conduct but he is going to come to a decision by the end of next week.

So, the interview went really well. I did everything you said, Denise. ;):laugh: The general manager seemed pretty impressed with me. He said he has a few more interviews to conduct but he is going to come to a decision by the end of next week.

:laugh: Excellent news - fingers crossed! :bunny::bunny:

• Author

Thanks, ladies. :bunny: I have a couple of strengths I didn't previously realize. I don't have experience in the front office section of a hotel, but I have extensive experience in the behind-the-scenes drudge work (housekeeping; I did it for a summer job). So because of that, I have a really good sense of how things are run in that department, and I can perhaps make everything run more smoothly. I could probably prevent guests waiting for rooms that haven't been cleaned yet, etc. And the hotel I worked at is of a brand that did a merge with this hotel's particular brand, so they're in the same family. I know the standard of service expected, the rewards points memberships, etc.

The general manager who interviewed me said the family who owns this particular hotel and others in the area likes to promote from within, but no one who currently works at the hotel is particularly interested in the managing position. But promoting from within would really help me if I got the job, as the GM said the front desk manager position may be a grooming of sorts for something higher up, so they're looking for someone with initiative, and all that.