LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Boss has horrible breath.

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th July 2011, 11:01 PM   #16
Established Member

There is a difference between telling a friend they have bad breath and telling your boss....

I remember when i worked with a guy who used to go to the gym before work and either wouldn't shower or wore clothes that stunk of BO.... the WHOLE work knew before he did because everyone was too scared to bring it up.

If my husband had bad breath I would tell him in a heartbeat. A co-worker... maybe not in so many words, there are more boundaries there.
sb129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 12:17 AM   #17
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayla View Post
AN Island? Yeah I guess a continent is an island if its surrounded by water on various sides Atlantic/Pacific.
CBS cares, not sure the poster is in a position to use the inquiry technic...
noooooo. I meant an island of people that are brave enough. Not where you live. its figurative. ugh. Im losing my metaphor chops.

The OP is in a position to use the TEARS tactic. She has to deal with him invading her boundaries with his noxious mouth fumes. She has every right to tell him he is offensive, just like you did, but she could still use some help with the tactic.

Last edited by Eddie Edirol; 12th July 2011 at 12:20 AM..
Eddie Edirol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 11:32 PM   #18
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb129 View Post
There is a difference between telling a friend they have bad breath and telling your boss....

I remember when i worked with a guy who used to go to the gym before work and either wouldn't shower or wore clothes that stunk of BO.... the WHOLE work knew before he did because everyone was too scared to bring it up.

If my husband had bad breath I would tell him in a heartbeat. A co-worker... maybe not in so many words, there are more boundaries there.
Oh I have no qualms telling my H. First time was weird and felt like I was hurting his feelings, but now it's like "you stink, go brush your teeth or have a mint. Love ya!" A co worker, you pass out gum and make sure they take it. If they refuse, you then say, "this gum tastes so good, you need to try it, please" and smile.. they won't say no.. A boss? You could try the mint/candy/gum thing, but if they say no, don't come up with a smart ass line. Let it go and learn to breath through your ears when around them!
whichwayisup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 12:44 AM   #19
Established Member

Update!

Well he seems to know he's got some kicking breath, cause the mints thing worked!!

Just about every time he goes by my desk he gets one!

I think maybe he knew he had some horrid breath

But what if I want to get a different candy for my desktop jar next time?
Old 23rd July 2011, 1:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckduckgoose View Post
Well he seems to know he's got some kicking breath, cause the mints thing worked!!

Just about every time he goes by my desk he gets one!

I think maybe he knew he had some horrid breath

But what if I want to get a different candy for my desktop jar next time?
Stick with the mints & have your own separate stash of whatever candy you like
TeeStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 12:47 PM   #21
Established Member

Maybe throw in some tooth brushes and floss in the mint jar while you're at it..
daphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 5:16 PM   #22

OP, live with it. I am not being unsympathetic. But i can't see you having much rational options here:

- You cannot complain directly to your boss, a subordinate cannot order a boss around.

- You can go to HR, but your boss would deem that disrespectful, and s/he would hold that against you. HR may also think you're a crybaby and a whiner, and they may blackmark you.

Perhaps simply lessen the amount of time in your boss' presence. Say that you wish to work more autonomously, and will report to him/her when tasks are finished or if you want report updates.
ilikesunita is offline   Reply With Quote