LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Boss has horrible breath.

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th June 2011, 10:09 PM   #1
Established Member

Boss has horrible breath.

Yeah... my boss has some serious swamp breath... my eyes water when he comes to tell me something or check on something. I chew a lot of gum, and I offhandedly offered him a piece today... the last piece in the pack, while he was explaining something to me and I was getting a piece for myself. He declined it

How should I deal with his rancid breath? I know other people have to be smelling it too... its THAT BAD. I rather not get fired over this if I was to bring it up to him.
Old 28th June 2011, 12:13 AM   #2
Established Member

Ah, you can't bring it up, it's something that just is what it is.

I worked with a woman with the same condition. She could be 5 feet away from me and it would assault me. It's usually a chronic condition, and out of the person's control.
Old 28th June 2011, 12:22 AM   #3

Journal Entries: 1
My last boss when I worked on Wall Street a while back was a woman whose breath could knock a buzzard off a manure pile. She was an old Irish nun-looking frump with a hell hole under her nose. All I could do was avoid her and try not to breathe when she spoke in my direction. Good luck and god bless.
Feelin Frisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2011, 12:29 AM   #4
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelin Frisky View Post
My last boss when I worked on Wall Street a while back was a woman whose breath could knock a buzzard off a manure pile. She was an old Irish nun-looking frump with a hell hole under her nose. All I could do was avoid her and try not to breathe when she spoke in my direction. Good luck and god bless.
Oh wow.

Most people with bad breath don't know they have it as bad as they do.
D-Lish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2011, 6:46 AM   #5

Word

Be cruel to be kind:

- Buy the best mouthwash you can find
- Stick a note on it with the following url:
http://healing.about.com/od/ritaloui...dbreath_RL.htm
- and under that, "From a caring friend"

It's then his choice to act on the generous gift and no-one gets the evil eye
Excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 5:19 PM   #6
Established Member

Thanks for the responses. I keep candy on my desk normally, and lots of gum in my desk. I made sure to get mint candies for my desktop stash. That way if he gets the urge for candy there's mints right there.

Otherwise when I try to communicate with him (he's a pretty sociable guy) I do it while he's in his office at his desk and I stand in the doorway, or communicate from across my computer (let the monitor take the brunt for me).
Duckduckgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 6:34 PM   #7
Established Member

Could be that he is on one of those crazy weight-loss programs.

Yes bad breath is nasty.

Don't you remember the good old days when all you had to worry about was going through a divorce, unemployment, and the state you were in getting hit with a natural disaster. Boy those were the days....

Just teasing you.
Old 10th July 2011, 7:56 PM   #8
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckduckgoose View Post
Thanks for the responses. I keep candy on my desk normally, and lots of gum in my desk. I made sure to get mint candies for my desktop stash. That way if he gets the urge for candy there's mints right there.

Otherwise when I try to communicate with him (he's a pretty sociable guy) I do it while he's in his office at his desk and I stand in the doorway, or communicate from across my computer (let the monitor take the brunt for me).
DDG, I just now came up with an idea that will work and you dont even have to say anything.

You say your bosses breath literally brings you to tears when hes in your face?

You will have to suffer, but its for one last time, this will get the message across:

Next time he is in your face with his garbage breath, let the smell bring you to tears, let them flow, even if you gag. He will notice tears, and when he asks you whats wrong, you point to your mouth. if he doesnt get it, point to his mouth. He doesnt speak hint language, but he has to understand sign language!
Eddie Edirol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 9:12 PM   #9
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Lish View Post
Ah, you can't bring it up, it's something that just is what it is.
It's usually a chronic condition, and out of the person's control.
Not necessarily- seeing a dental hygienist regularly can help control bad breath. The most common reason for bad breath is poorly maintained oral hygiene or gum disease. Gum disease has been linked to heart disease recently so getting it under control has more benefits than just freshening your breath.

OP, you could mention in passing that you are going to see the hygienist, (or have been or something) and rave about how great they were and how your mouth now feels so clean and fresh. Either that or say "I am really due for a dental check up, my mouth feels so disgusting when i don't keep my checkups regular".
sb129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 2:54 AM   #10
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb129 View Post
Not necessarily- seeing a dental hygienist regularly can help control bad breath. The most common reason for bad breath is poorly maintained oral hygiene or gum disease. Gum disease has been linked to heart disease recently so getting it under control has more benefits than just freshening your breath.

OP, you could mention in passing that you are going to see the hygienist, (or have been or something) and rave about how great they were and how your mouth now feels so clean and fresh. Either that or say "I am really due for a dental check up, my mouth feels so disgusting when i don't keep my checkups regular".
That only works for women, men dont read hints like that.

Plus he could know his breath stinks, he could be one of those numbnuts that is too chicken and inconsiderate to go to the dentist.
Old 11th July 2011, 3:36 AM   #11

I doubt he realizes his breath is so bad. I think most people would try to do something about it if they knew their breath was bad. Keeping the hard candy on your desk and offering him some candy right away when he comes over is a good plan. Most people wouldn't refuse candy. I wouldn't want to hurt his feelings by suggesting mouthwash, even if it were anonymously communicated.
KathyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 4:54 AM   #12
Established Member

If you;re giving him candy your potentially going to make his dental problems worse....

YUCK. Poor you, how disgusting.
sb129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 8:26 PM   #13

yes gum disease can indeed be a factor, the MOST common though is the acid reflux or stomach ails, Yes they are more relevant in creating halitosis.

A good friend of mine actually takes garlic tablets ( he is into homeopathic cures) and his breath is horrendous, so luckily I bought him some natural mint tablets since he understands after gentle prodding that his mouth has a garlic-y fragrance during speech....He wasn't insulted so much as taken aback that it was that noticeable. His stomach ails have lessen'd and his breath is a wee bit more tolerable....
Tayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 9:42 PM   #14
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayla View Post
so luckily I bought him some natural mint tablets since he understands after gentle prodding that his mouth has a garlic-y fragrance during speech....He wasn't insulted so much as taken aback that it was that noticeable. His stomach ails have lessen'd and his breath is a wee bit more tolerable....
unlike most people here youre brave enough to tell him to his face whats going on, youre on an island there. You might want to share your prodding tactics. No one here will actually do it, but sharing is caring.
Old 11th July 2011, 9:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Edirol View Post
unlike most people here youre brave enough to tell him to his face whats going on, youre on an island there. You might want to share your prodding tactics. No one here will actually do it, but sharing is caring.
AN Island? Yeah I guess a continent is an island if its surrounded by water on various sides Atlantic/Pacific.
CBS cares, not sure the poster is in a position to use the inquiry technic...
Tayla is offline   Reply With Quote