I just started a sales job with a huge national company. The head of my office is an ex-Marine Drill seargent. Up until now, I just thought he was aggressive, goal oriented, and maybe a little rough around the edges. Until Today, that is.

I LOVE THIS JOB, until today, that is.

I do business to business sales, and I was in an auto repair shop getting my car fixed the other day. The owner of the shop inquired as to what I'm doing for work (I have known him for a long time). I told him, and he eventually told me that he would like to buy my product. The problem is that this man's business is not in my "Zone", or territory, so I shouldnt take the sale from the rep who belongs to it. But for the good of the office, I called the head of the office, we'll call him "mike," and told him about it. He said to take one for the team, and give it to the rep on the account. I agreed, and searched for the rightful rep's name on the computer. To my surprise, there was none...it appeared clear to me. So, I asked the middle level manager (we'll call him "Richard" if I could have the account, and he said no, just tell the guy that somebody will contact him. So...I called Mike, Richard and My boss, to let him know what was going on. I can see how this could be perceived as going over richard's head, but that was not my intention...I later apologized to richard for any miscommunication.

Mike called me up and said (no lie) "You listen to me, you big Mother-F#&%ER, I'll kick your @ss you dont even know. I'll KILL YOU, you son of a bitch...You think you're tough (I once mentioned that I had taken martial arts), I'll show you who's tough, you MF-er, I'll kick your @ss!!!!!! Dont you ever go over the head of one of my managers again, or I will personally throw you through a wall, do you understand me, SON!!!!!!

I felt this was extremely abusive, and I dont want to work for this poor excuse of a human being any longer. He also makes remarks like that I need to get laid more often, which hurts. He is an alcoholic, who just happens to be able to drive sales numbers. When I told Richard about what Mike had said, he said, dont mind him...he motivated through intimidation.

What can I do??? I love this job, and dont want to feel as though I'm walking on egshells for as long as I am working for him??

Does your company have a section that deals with harassment complaints? If not, is there an Employee Assistance section?

Hire a lawyer immediately. The threat he made to you was illegal in many ways and a strict violation of labor laws....that is, if you are being accurate in your account. I wouldn't take that for a second.

I also think you should immediately make a police report. He has threatened you with bodily harm and this needs to be on record. The police will ask if you want to prosecute him...and I would if I were you. Of course, since there were no witnesses, it's his word against yours...but make a police report anyway.

I would have said "go ahead old man, you want a piece of me?"

Don't let him push you around. Once you stand up to him , he'll leave you alone.

Tony's jumpin the gun a little bit, but you should immediately write down every detail that you can recall, including what each person has said. If the company is a large national one, then you should have an HR problem resolution policy as well has a sexual harrassment policy.

After you have documented the incident and the ensuing conversations, setup a meeting with Mike to express your displeasure with the way he treated you. Lay it out in as professional and unemotional manner as possible. Clearly tell him that you find his language and sexual innuendo offensive. If this is too uncomfortable for you, and you would like to attempt to obtain more "evidence" you could initiate the "conversation" thru voicemail. If he leaves you messages, with the tone of voice that you've described, my guess is that he has waived his right to have a conversation "taped" by virtue of using voicemail.

You're in a tough spot, but I don't think you have enough to go to the police. Your best course of action is to document each incident and contact an HR representative. Don't assume confidentiality, demand it.

Hang in there-

I think it depends on your circumstances and what you're willing to accept in terms of consequences. You can go the lawyer and police route, but if you do that, you're going to be blackballed for sure - even by those who might otherwise support you. Even though you might be in the right, companies don't like it when you bring lawyers into an office. I wouldn't handle it that way.

If it were a job that I started sometime in the past 60 days, I'd say "f*ck it" and feel at liberty to say or do whatever. If you get run off, you don't even have to put it on my resume. Just say you've been looking for a while...nobody has to know the truth.

My approach to this guy would probably be direct, though I'd try not to be hostile about it. The other guy's saying "Don't worry about it" but he's not in your shoes, so he couldn't give a hoot. It's your problem, and you have to deal with, and I'd deal with it directly. The one thing I've learned about bullies is that the more you tolerate them, the more they bully you, and it will get worse, and it will get harder to fight back without it ending in some kind of mess. Just make it plain to him that this was the first and the LAST TIME you're going to put up with that kind of cr@p. Cut this off at the pass, and be prepared to bail.

If you've been employed at this co. for more than 60 days, you might have to think more carefully about how to protect yourself. Get someone in a position of authority who you can trust and see if you can't get them to back you up if the sh*t hits the fan.

If you can't get any support, and if this guy continues to be a problem, then I guess your only choice is to stay until you can find another job. It doesn't always look so bad anymore to switch jobs within a few months of hire. Everyone knows now that some people have their reasons. Try to leave on the best terms possible.

Good luck.

I work on a military base and that sort of "verbage" is not unusual. As a matter of fact, it's normal conversation. He probably didn't mean it as personally as you took it. It's just the way he has been trained to deal with things....by using the F word as many times as possible in a sentence. You can ignore it, stand your ground, report it....or HEY....meet him face to face and maybe find out he's a better guy than you think.

I certainly think you have a viable complaint....but sometimes the art of politics in the workplace can be the best applicable tool. Manipulating a situation, rather than beating your head against a wall, usually works better. Give it some thought, make a plan...and follow thru with it....whatever it may be. If you want to keep the job though....again....use your politcal skills.

Bullsh*t.

Verbal abuse isn't acceptable - period. Maybe that's the way it is on the base, but outside, that bird won't fly.

Stand your ground or be bullied. That's your choice.