How bad it is to work 16 hrs a day?

pineapples

Hi,

In my company there is the opportunity to work 16 hrs a day. I want to do it badly at least once a week, but I am also afraid as my health is important to me and don't want to faint or anything. I was wondering if somebody has done it and would share their experiences?? I would be standing, in high heels (could sit probably for 5 mins per hour), and would have 2 long breaks.

Also, I drive around 60-90 mins to my work (one way, depending on traffic).

Thanks. :love:

I do it quite often.

The first few times you do it, you'll probably find it rough. After you get into a routine it will be ok.

Make sure you sleep until about 4 hours prior to your shift. Eat light healthy foods, keep yourself busy, and dont overdo the caffeine.

NB: I do get a few hours sleep halfway through so it may skew my opinion.

You do what you gotta do. I've done it quite a few times. I wouldnt do it unless I was getting something out of it though. Overtime is the biggest motivator. I commute 60-90 minutes as well and if I could shave off a days commute by combing 2 shifts.

If it's for overtime, I'd say go for it.

I don't think it's that big of a deal, especially in an office environment. Keep in mind that millions of people around the world work 16+ hour days in much more difficult and demanding positions.

Well, the time is normal, especially for doctors and such.

Why is it imperative that you must wear heels, though? Standing for 16 hours in high heels is a surefire way to back and foot problems.

Hi,

In my company there is the opportunity to work 16 hrs a day. I want to do it badly at least once a week, but I am also afraid as my health is important to me and don't want to faint or anything. I was wondering if somebody has done it and would share their experiences?? I would be standing, in high heels (could sit probably for 5 mins per hour), and would have 2 long breaks.

Sixteen hours per day? That sounds insane.

MichiganDutch

I worked 16 hour shifts six days per week for four months straight when I was supporting Desert Shield in Saudi Arabia when it was 100+ degrees. We were busy constantly all day long with occasional respites of an hour or two at shift end a day or two a week. Having said that, I was in my early 20's and very healthy at that time. It becomes normal after awhile.

I also work in IT, and I've worked some jobs that I quite often saw 2 or 3 AM multiple times per week in the office. My commute then was also 90 minutes one way. It does tend to wear on you when you're a bit older and you have to take extra special care of yourself to make it through without ruining your health. Eating well, exercising, and making sure you try to get 7 or 8 hours of sleep per night is a very good idea. I imagine always being on your feet covers a lot of the exercise part. I'd worry about the strain on your body due to sleep deprivation over time, though. Is it five days per week? If so, that might be a bit much for a long-term commitment.

Art_Critic

I'll answer it by quoting a post from another thread where they asked how many hours a week you work.

I never had any health consequences from working like this for 15 years but once I go older and my priorities changed I have found I can't do those hours today.

I routinely work 10-12 hour days now with the occasional 16 hour day and when I have to do the long shift it wipes me out for a few days afterward.

If I were you.. 16 hours a day in high heels..ouch.. I can;t see how that would be good for your feet.. change shoes if possible

The US

Between 55-65 hrs on an average with the occasional 70-80 work week when needed.

At least it's down from what it took to get to where I am today.. 110-120+ hrs per week used to be the norm many years ago.. back in my 20's and early 30's but those hours aren't needed any more and to be honest I don't think I could crank hours out like that today at my age.

OP, if you otherwise work 40-50 hours per week, one long day shouldn't be an issue. Find shoes which satisfy the 'heels' requirement but are comfortable. Negotiate extra pay for your long shift or equivalent comp pay. Nothing comes for free. If other employees are working a similar shift once a week, the employer can essentially cover another position, which saves them a ton of money, especially on training and benefits.

I'll occasionally put in a long day when a job needs to get out, or an emergency comes in and I have to work all night, but those are exceptions. I left that kind of stuff behind after my early 30's. Much more to life than work.

ascentoffinia

Isordil online cash on delivery Cheap Levaquin for sale with no prescription required buy Azulfidine mastercard online no membership Order Micardis Hct cod Famvir without prescription overnight shipping order Suprax mastercard drug online rx order Adalat usa cod Buy Lasix with saturday delivery Renova online no script order Omnicef cheap overnight overnight Caduet without a rx order online Amoxil without prescription purchase Benicar mastercard in Washington purchase Imdur no scams free Nolvadex Revia mastercard online purchase purchase Diprolene no visa online without prescription buy Starlix without rx needed Atacand on line cash on delivery Isordil Sublingual no doctors consult 1 mg Ventolin mastercard buy Urispas without a rx overnight delivery Zyvox without a prescription Sumycin cheap overnight fedex Risperdal buy fedex Adalat mastercard cod how to purchase Sinequan online without a prescription Propecia mastercard without persription how to order Plavix online without prescription buy Pepcid mastercard without prescription online Buy Stromectol overnight fedex purchase Urispas over the counter cod overnight Mestinon no prior script purchase online Atarax without prescription how to purchase Lamisil Cream online without rx Actonel without a prescription or doctor buy Detrol La mastercard without a prescription overnight delivery Glucophage Xr online next day no rx cod Myambutol Cheap order Risperdal Purchase discount Ceftin no rx buy Glucotrol mastercard cheap without prescription

Hi,

16 hours a day is only good if you're paid hourly and/or are only working 3 days a week.

16 hours a day for 5 days a week will wreak havoc on your health and social life.