Is there discrimination in the work place???

I am sooo upset. I don't have an outlet. I need this job and we are in a recession. Soo...I just shut my mouth. However, I am burning up on the inside. The same opportunities were not afforded me. I don't even like calling this discrimination. I just don't know what else to do. Yes, I am a minority. Yes, I am a very hard worker. However, the same rules do not go for everyone. Some days are easier than others. Its a law firm.

Aw, I'm sorry. Hugs. I don't know exactly what's going on with you but I hope things work out. True, the recession is making people put up with lots of crap these days.

Can you look for a new job? You can still stay on there until you find something else. And when you do get a new and better job, and they ask why you are leaving, then you can point out this incident. Good luck and hang in there.

• Author

Thanks for your response. I am considering schooling. But, I was curious those this type of behavior exists other places of mixed cultures.??? Am I being naive to think it does not??? Help???

I'm a minority as well (Indian) and haven't really experienced discrimination at work due to that, but I do experience a little bit due to being female in a male dominated field. Nothing major but it has happened.

I have definitely experienced racism outside of work in day to day life, so I'm certain it happens in the workplace as well. Unfortunately there are still a lot of ignorant people out there, and it will keep happening for a long time yet.

Don't let it get to you. Take pride in the fact that you are great at what you do, and this will enable you to find something better eventually, as other companies will value you for your skills.

I am sooo upset. I don't have an outlet. I need this job and we are in a recession. Soo...I just shut my mouth. However, I am burning up on the inside. The same opportunities were not afforded me. I don't even like calling this discrimination. I just don't know what else to do. Yes, I am a minority. Yes, I am a very hard worker. However, the same rules do not go for everyone. Some days are easier than others. Its a law firm.

Somehow either things were deleted or others can see beyond the screen into your every day work life. I do not see where you specify what the action was to create this perspective of discrimination? Can you clarify please?

Somehow either things were deleted or others can see beyond the screen into your every day work life. I do not see where you specify what the action was to create this perspective of discrimination? Can you clarify please?

I was just commenting generally as you'll see from my posts, not about any specific incident.

quietGuy13

I feel for you cause i now how you feel. As for being a minority(ethinicity), sometimes it depends. If you can act like all the other typicals of whatever country you are in, then they love you.

But i think, as far as its been for me, that there is more PERSONALITY discrimination. If you don't fit in the company culture , they don't want you.

At my work, as it's been in all the work places i've been so far, they're all loud mouths that don't stop talking. I'm not that, and i'm quiet and never talk and everybody thinks i'm a piece of c**p.

Now that feels baaaad. I do my work and all and stll i get hated, bullied, and just weird looks. PLUS because i'm like i am, they haven't even hired me. Meanwhile they hire everyone else.

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS. If they discrimate you , you may want to quit and find smething better. Only do this if you can afford it.

If not, then you have no choice but stay and PUT up with it.

Like i am. If i quit i know i wn't find anything for a long time so i'm just gonna take the abuse and try to chang it.

Claiming discrimination based on your race is pretty serious and shouldn't be thrown around lightly. What is actually happening in order for you to make such an accusation?

I was just commenting generally as you'll see from my posts, not about any specific incident.

I see, so your generalizing is different from discrimination how? Discrimination to an extent is "generalizing" about a culture, a type of personality, a being, etc. So it would appear to me that the concept of generalizing runs both ways.

Take a moment and consider the sources of these discriminant acts and ask yourself how you can influence a change, we do have that empowerment to prove peoples preconceived ideas erroneous.

eerie_reverie

I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it discrimination, but where I work, I notice a definite tendency for management to being white, male, and outgoing, with leadership skills.

I see, so your generalizing is different from discrimination how? Discrimination to an extent is "generalizing" about a culture, a type of personality, a being, etc. So it would appear to me that the concept of generalizing runs both ways.

Take a moment and consider the sources of these discriminant acts and ask yourself how you can influence a change, we do have that empowerment to prove peoples preconceived ideas erroneous.

I don't see how I generalised about anything. I got the impression the OP didn't want to discuss details. He/she was obviously feeling low about the situation and I tried to help, which is generally the point of these forums.

Unfortunately I have to agree with the OP. My supervisor only promotes and gives her friends and family full time positions. Nobody else even gets considered, no matter how well you work. She only looks out for herself, if you're anyone else she doesn't care at all.

quietGuy13

As you saw in my thread I got layed off and I was a hardworker and never took days off. I'm 100 percent sure it was discrimination.

I feel for you cause i now how you feel. As for being a minority(ethinicity), sometimes it depends. If you can act like all the other typicals of whatever country you are in, then they love you.

this might turn this into a huge thread, but the above is true.

i know there are cultural differences especially with people who are first generation immigrants. but the quicker you learn to adapt to the social tendencies of the people you work with, the less discrimination you'll see.

is it technically discrimination if i were to hire someone but refuse to let that person near a phone because their accent made it impossible to comprehend what they were saying? it might be, but that doesn't change the fact that they won't be getting near a phone.

just one example, if it doesn't apply, disregard.

• Author

My parents raised me to work hard and your work will be rewarded. I did not learn how to brown nose or sleep with the boss !!!

eerie_reverie
My parents raised me to work hard and your work will be rewarded. I did not learn how to brown nose or sleep with the boss !!!

I don't think that's something that you really need to be taught.

umm...

get used to it.

or do something about it.

either way, nothing ever changes.

we are the very thing we hate.

• Author

1. I am not the thing I hate. I am the complete opposite. I welcome variety of people. 2. I think, my opinion, if a person is not the majority culture in the office environment, the minority, will be scrutinized. For example if you work in an office of purple people, and you are green, the purple people will talk about you and scrutinize you because you are different. Your difference could be: skin color, race, physical difference, etc. One culture (purple people) thinks they are better than the rest. So all the smart purple people, help the dumb purple people, so they appear to be superior. Help the purple with the work, cover up for the purple, etc. When someone of another race comes in, they write them, scrutinize, etc. The other race is not given as many tutorials, chances, assistance, etc. I live this everyday.

As you saw in my thread I got layed off and I was a hardworker and never took days off. I'm 100 percent sure it was discrimination.

I know how you feel, in a world of discrimination and recession that really sucks. i feel your pain. i bet theres more to you than they know but they have never actually really tried to find out. Stay cool and it will be alright.

Naughty?. Wanna have fun?

sb.php?a_aid=6103d398&a_bid=2cd24d83

TaraMaiden

If it's a Law firm, birds of a feather stick together. fancy suing a Law firm for discrimination! They might do it because they believe they are untouchable and can get away with it...

But you know, you need to be more specific.....

Thanks for your response. I am considering schooling. But, I was curious those this type of behavior exists other places of mixed cultures.??? Am I being naive to think it does not??? Help???

I have no idea what your culture is, nor the circumstances or details of what you believe the fault or action is.

And if you need 'schooling' (I take it you mean you perhaps need to study Law as a subject to gain a qualification) then you have to take your unqualified state into consideration, how long you have been at the firm, and what your duties are, there....

In order for us to be precise - you need to be more precise.

TM (Married to a 1st Class honours Law Graduate).

• 2 weeks later...