How many hours a week do you work?

And what country are you from? I'm curious how much people work depending on their country...

And don't count lunch either.... If you are at work 8-5 but take a hour lunch that's 8 hours...

I usually work about 10-12 hours a day on average.

I'm an area manager- and I work from home in the morning, then shower and go out on the road until my day is done. I'm up by 7-7:30am, on the road by noon, and usually back home between 8:30-9:30pm.

On my "days off"- I still deal with work constantly- fielding calls, dropping things off, whatever needs getting done.

I'd say I work between 55-60 hours a week on average.

I'm in Canada.

Star Gazer

I am a government employee and thus only "required" to work 40 hours a week. :laugh: However, I work closer to 45 in order to get the job done... I don't get any credit or comp time for those extra hours, and they'll soon been unnecessary as soon as additional attorneys are hired - pending budget approval.

Prior to public service, I was working about 60 hours a week.

The change in my quality of life and work-life balance has been amazing. Who knew 15-20 hours a week would make such a HUGE difference in my overall life satisfaction?!

I would prefer to work about 40-45 hours per week, but I probably work more like 55-60 in order to keep up with my workload. I find it incredibly stressful and wish I could find a less demanding job; work-life balance is important! But apparently we are not entitled to a life outside of work these days...

Nowadays it seems like all salaried professional jobs demand significantly more than the standard 40-ish hours; sometimes up to 60 hours or more. I wish I could find a professional job with reasonable hours; I'd be willing to accept a lower salary if I could work a standard 40 hour week :(

Humf, well I work anywhere from 30-60 hours a week. I'm supposed to get overtime, however, due to the nature of my job and our lack of funds (I am a caregiver) I think they sometimes chump me on my checks. I think it's time to start putting my foot down...I enjoy what I do, but in the U.S. overtime is supposed to be a must if you work for it...Right?

Art_Critic

The US

Between 55-65 hrs on an average with the occasional 70-80 work week when needed.

At least it's down from what it took to get to where I am today.. 110-120+ hrs per week used to be the norm many years ago.. back in my 20's and early 30's but those hours aren't needed any more and to be honest I don't think I could crank hours out like that today at my age.

110-120+ hrs per week used to be the norm many years ago

Omg, no way! That's like 16 hours a day, seven days a week - which hardly even leaves you enough time to sleep and eat! When are you supposed to enjoy your life, have a relationship, see your family, have hobbies, do chores, etc?!

Art_Critic
Omg, no way! That's like 16 hours a day, seven days a week - which hardly even leaves you enough time to sleep and eat! When are you supposed to enjoy your life, have a relationship, see your family, have hobbies, do chores, etc?!

Yeah.. alot of times it was 20+ hrs a day...

No time for anything.. ever.. but it was what I did..

When I got married to my first wife back in my 30's I changed things and said I would never work like that again and I haven't.

denise_xo

I work 9-12 hours a day. I'm in Europe. I'm a researcher so I don't get over time.

eerie_reverie

37.5 hours per week, officially. :o I'm in the USA.

I put in a little overtime to make sure I do a better job than everyone else - on average maybe 10 hours per month.

I struggle to count my hours because a part of my job involves "creative thinking", and that's what I usually end up doing while working out or doing errands.

But discounting those moments, I probably log in 45-55 hours a week. I know that I hit two weeks where I pulled 72 hours in the last four months - but then those are usually followed by a few days off. I'm in Canada.

I'm at salary - so I don't get overtime either.

37.5 hrs pw, currently living in Spain. I also have flexi-time so can start work between 8-10am and finish between 4-7pm as well as build up 1.5 days off per month. I'm very happy with these hours and work in a government related job.

cerridwen

Once I return to work, I will put in 40-50 hours over five days.

I am in the U.S..

Two Steps Forward

US here, exempt and probably 45 in the office at 10 at home over 7 days. That being said, I have a lot of flexibility in my schedule (come in late, leave early, some flex time) so it can vary. Had a month doing 70-80 hour weeks and have had weeks I probably didn't work more than 30. I have noticed that the more 'work from home' ability the job has, the more hours I put in.

I'm only required to go to work for 30 hours per week because it's assumed I work at home as well--which I do if I need to, but I've gotten good at getting everything done in those 30 hours. When I first started, I worked at home a lot more and my colleagues would make fun of me because hardly no one who's worked there any amount of time brings work home.

I am sometimes given extra duties outside my normal job at times which require me to go over the 30 hours.

I'm super lucky to have a job I love and that I don't have to put in an immense amount of hours.

I'm on salary and I'm in the US.

I work 37.5 hours a week, if you don't count breaks.

I will occasionally work extra hours, but not enough to count for overtime.

I am in Canada.

Some of you guys scare me. I cannot imagine working like that and still having a reason to live, honestly. The bf works 60-70 hour weeks sometimes and is like a dead man on those weeks. If I had to work 100 hours.. I'd just quit and eat stale bread til I get another job, I think.

What jobs are you working as, those who do 60hrs+?

In the U.S. I work anywhere from 40-50 hrs. A few months ago it was 60+. I get nice breaks, but I need them.

I'm in the US and work 37.5 hours per week, I worth either 4 or 5 days a week.

laRubiaBonita

i live in the US, and i work 40 hrs. a week at my full time job and i work 6-14 hrs a week at ,y parttime job. i get no lunch unless i use my time to take it.

i was hired at the this job when a work week was 35 hrs. part of the benefit was that we did get a lunch hour. then we got a new manager that did away with the lux 35hrs. and instilled a 40 hr. work week.

it blows..... i am not in a position to accrue OT- and even if i was it like pulling teeth to get the proper approval for such OT.

Edited by laRubiaBonita

Monday- thru Friday- CLock in 7:30 clock out 5pm /6pm with no lunch break.

(work is 45mins in congested traffic each way...so its a long day every day)

Weekends- another 12 hours given to reports due for Monday meetings...

Salaried- so no OT for anything done....

Cerpin_Taxt

USA. 6-8 hours a day for my boss. More for myself on the side afterwards. Weekends too. I work construction. With my company I get no overtime, raises, benefits, vacation time, etc. For myself, on the side, I make cash. :D