Frustrated - how should I handle this scheduling issue?

I'm really frustrated. About 2 weeks ago, I accepted a part time job (I'm a therapist) under the contingency that I get 15 hours per week and a set schedule. The day I started, they had me work 4 hours. The day consisted of training. I let that lack of agreed upon hours slide because I just figured it was because I was in training. The manager left while I was in a meeting...When I came out, the receptionist gave me a printout with my schedule for the next week. I thought that was kind of odd considering the fact that when I took the job, the hours were M/W/F 12:30-5:30. The paper said:

--

M 12-2

W 12-2

TH 3:30-6:30 (no worries if you can't work this day)

--

Hmmm. Okay, again, I just thought well surely she wouldn't be that much of a flaky person; so this must be due to training still.

I worked that week. I didn't even see the manager at all on Thursday. As a matter of fact, I sent her an email on Wednesday and never heard back from her. As I was leaving, I asked the receptionist if there's a mailbox for me there or some place a memo to me would be (with my schedule!). She said no. Then the next day (friday) I called up to the center and asked if a schedule was left for me. I told the receptionist that I hadn't gotten anything yet. I kindly asked I be informed of my schedule. It makes the most sense for me to be told my schedule when it comes out rather than me continue to call up there to ask. She said she would leave a message for the manager. And she knows the schedule did just come out that day.

Now here it's Monday, and I haven't heard anything. This is extremely disrespectful towards me. I need to know in advance the days/hours that they would like me to come in so that I make sure I am available. Heck even when I was 15 years old with a little $6 job, I was given simple respect of being given a schedule two weeks in advance.

This is completely inappropriate. I just have this feeling that the manager is arrogant and I really am on the schedule for today.

I refuse to set a precedence that they think they can tell me the-day-of and think that is normal. If I hear from them today about coming in today, I would like to keep it simple and say, "I'll need to know the days/hours I'm needed in advance so that I make sure I'm available." And then just sit there and wait for a response. Shouldn't these people already be kind and respectful enough to treat a new employee the right way? This is so off putting. Does anyone have advice on how I should handle this? I definitely don't want to have any odd words with these people, but at the same time, they should to respect my time out of basic courtesy. I'm no one "powerful" there, but I do deserve respect.

The stark difference in the way I was nicely treated in the interview and on the first day compared to this negligence is really pitiful.

• Author

Welp, I've still heard nothing from them. I'm officially looking for a new job. I can't believe these manipulative, flaky, jokers offered me a job under totally false pretenses. I didn't accept a job on a PRN basis.

When she does finally contact me, I'll take my time to respond, and tell her that I can't work Mondays. Let her figure something out. Then I'll give my notice the following week.

Ridiculous. What happened to just being considerate, nice and direct with people!?

I thought it was basic to any job offer that they include in the letter offering you the job the days/hours of work and also additional information on terms and conditions. Have you got any offer letter or list of terms and conditions? If not, I would contact your HR department and ask for them and see what they produce. Technically, you'd have to agree any offer in writing and if you haven't already done this, you could get back to HR and ask them to clarify the hours/days. I wouldn't bother with your immediate boss on this matter if she's not being forthcoming. Also, I have to say that her information on your hours/days might not be the same as HR are expecting. You need this in writing from HR or the Director's office, whoever is responsible in the company for hiring.

I may be wrong here, but it seems to me that until you've accepted something in writing you haven't accepted it and they can't assume it.

• Author

I heard nothing from them until Thursday late afternoon, a full week after the last time I was there/6 days after I left a message asking what my schedule would be the following week and 8 days after an email. It's appalling, really.

The manager tried to manipulate me - she actually thanked me for being patient. She said they were going to start a new system where they email schedules on Fridays. She attached a word doc with my schedule. I COULDN'T BELIEVE the massive insult within... She 'put me on the schedule' for the following wednesday, 2 hours. Then said, "hopefully we'll have more appointments soon." LOL - What!?

Simply replying to my message and telling me last Friday that I wouldn't be on the schedule the next week nor communicating with me until the end of the following week is NOT OKAY. She actually thanked me in the email. How disrespectful.

I waited until Monday night to reply to her. I thanked her for her email and told her however there'd been a misunderstanding. When I didn't hear from them, I had to make other arrangements in my schedule and I wouldn't be available Wednesday. I told her that I hoped business picks up soon for them and best wishes.

If she isn't going to be direct with me, why should I? I blocked her after that. She shouldn't be conducting her business this way...shouldn't be treating employees this way. yes, I signed paperwork - policies agreement and a w2. There was no official offer. So it's like I'm on their payroll at their will. Nooooooooooot what was verbally offered throughout the interview process. If they are going to be that passive about things, I can, too. I'm not PRN for them. I hope she doesn't even reply to my email. I think things are pretty obvious from both sides. I don't owe her a "formal" resignation letter considering the fact that I was never really put on the schedule to begin with... a few measly hours and broken promises isn't what I would consider employment.

I'm embarrassed this happened to me!

Personally, I would have submitted a letter of resignation because you filled out paperwork, so you did officially accept the job. Just because they behave that way doesn't mean you have to stoop to their level.

It is unacceptable how they treated you, but you can rise above that and keep your dignity and integrity intact. :) Good luck with job hunting!