Going Into Teaching, What Should I Expect?

LearningLove

I've worked for the vast majority of my adult life in Finance. As many of you may be aware, Finance is not really the best field to be in at the moment. Consequently, this upcoming year I will be returning back to school to get certified as a teacher.

In terms of my experience with teachers growing up. Essentially, my elementary and junior high school teachers were pretty worthless. Luckily, I have intelligent parents who were able to supplement material to challenge me in ways my teachers were not. I eventually skipped one grade in the process.

Now, in high school I had three teachers I very much respected. I had a history teacher who was a former Marine, very brilliant and very challenging. I had a math teacher who was also very bright and very challenging. The most influential of all was my English teacher who was unique in that he did not push on us liberal values nor taught anything other than rhetoric, comprehension, textual analysis

All three of these teachers had problems with other teachers. My history teacher would leave off campus for lunch and if any time he was bothered by one of the other teachers during our class time, he was stern in that the teacher should either speak with the principal or speak to him after work. My math teacher argued a lot with other teachers, she really had a lot of run ins with them. I learned later on she left teaching to get a PhD in Math. My English teacher was open about his contempt for other teachers, but was really no nonsense in dealing with them with the, "that is not my problem take it to someone else."

I'm intending to teach high school. I've dealt with politics in the Financial world and it very much makes sense to me. Generally, in Finance you are dealing with the best of the best. And really, if you suck at what you do you will get shown the door.

Here are my questions:

1. As a high school teacher will I have to deal with other teachers or can I just ignore them?

2. I'm happy to teach but I know because of the professional environment I've been in as well as the experience with my teachers growing up, I will have run ins with other teachers. What has your experience been like?

Thank to anyone who replies