Introverts and Work

Bittersweetie

I'm an introvert. I realized it in my mid-20s and it helped explained some things I'd been dealing with at the time. I'm fine with it, though currently I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what to do.

I recently started working full time for the first time in over ten years. I finished my master's degree and found a job, and I actually like where I work, what I do, and most of the people I work with. However, being in the office all day interacting with people is taxing on my introvert self. I come home and want to be alone in silence, and that's cutting in on time with my H. We both understood that there would be a transitional period for us while we got used to me working again, but I don't want to create a pattern where we aren't connecting in the evenings. I know from past experience that if I push myself too far and don't get enough alone time I will crack, and I'm trying to be proactive to prevent that from happening.

So my question is, are there other introverts out there? How do you deal with being in cubes working all day, and dealing with your family at night? What are some suggestions on finding that recharge time?

I really applaud you for posting this here. It takes a lot of courage to face something so personal.

I have interviewed hundreds of people and found that "introverts" are really dealing with a much bigger issue inside of them. WHY is it that you are introverted? I can hardly imagine a life where you have no contact with other people.

I would love to help you, but I need more information

Feelin Frisky

Could it be that you really just have "social anxiety"--meaning that you're self conscious and blush if you find yourself the center of attention and the like? I was like that for much of my life--I just wasn't comfortable addressing people unless I was up close with them. I worked for many years in a large office on Wall Street and even had to supervise 29 women (and 1 nut of a man) with these basically introverted feelings in my guts. Though I never thought there was help for that or sought such help and figured it was just the way I was I was prescribed a medication for a depression I was suffering when a hopeful relationship turned disastrous and this medication totally eliminated that over-sensitivity and blushing. It's called Prozac.

There are now other medications like Prozac that do the same thing--give you the split second you need to decide "HOW" to feel before you feel it. And after a while of knowing that you can choose your feelings rather than just react to them, confidence comes that there;s absolutely nothing to be timid about. I take my medicine every day and have for 15 years. I consider it a vitamin that nudges something that didn't quite come out right in my chemistry into a position of normality so that I can be on a level playing filed with others who aren't afflicted with social anxieties. Please don't take this as me trying to diagnose anyone or prescribe remedy--I'm just sharing my experience fwiw. Good luck.

• Author
Bittersweetie
I really applaud you for posting this here. It takes a lot of courage to face something so personal.

I have interviewed hundreds of people and found that "introverts" are really dealing with a much bigger issue inside of them. WHY is it that you are introverted? I can hardly imagine a life where you have no contact with other people.

I would love to help you, but I need more information

I think you misunderstand what an introvert is. There have been many studies and books regarding introverts, and it's one of the four measurements in the Myers-Briggs test. It isn't a question of "WHY" I am introverted, it's part of my makeup. I have been since I was a child, it's how I am, and to be honest I appreciate that aspect of myself. For me there is no "bigger issue," I was just asking how other people with the same aspect in their personality deal with this particular issue.

I agree, if someone has no contact with any people, there may be a problem. But that is not what an introvert is. I have friends and family. I am not isolated, nor do I shun people. I just happen to "recharge" by being alone rather than in a group.

Anyone other real world suggestions?