I have a student I'm a bit worried about

Harassed_teacher

Hi all

I'm a professional teacher and I have a problem with one of my students. To give you a brief background, he has made passes at me by email. Now I do get passes made at me by students from time to time, and as a teacher, I am fine with dealing with this sort of thing normally.

The thing is, this student won't back off. I've been polite and professional with him, making it pretty clear that I am not interested in breaching the trust that my position carries. To be honest with you, even if I had met him outside of the learning environment, I would not be interested. He's much younger than me (in his mid twenties, I am in my late thirties).

I have raised it with other members of staff (including my line manager) as is best practice when dealing with persistent inappropriate attention from a student.

I just wanted to get some outside points of view on this, as well as vent a little outside of the work environment. Whilst this is not a big issue, and I don't feel a real sense of danger, I'm a bit annoyed that he won't respect my feelings (or lack thereof). I have considered making my complaint formal, but, naturally, I don't wish to harm him by affecting his official record. I just want him to stop obsessing over me.

Am I being unreasonable?

Professor X

Of course you are being reasonable! You have every right to feel the way you do.

I cannot tell you what exactly to do as I haven't came across this neither by personal experience or by observing someone in person doing it.

On top of that comes the issue of his age.

You said he's in his mid 20's, and this type of behavior is typical to the more younger in age, 15-18. Perhaps he's a late bloomer, who knows.

But in any case, the best thing in my opinion that you can do is keep rejecting him, keep your co-workers in the loop, so that they will know you're doing your best and if it comes to a point where its to much for you, than perhaps asking his family to help might be a good alternative to the law.

Good luck Harassed_teacher!

I would quickly go to the higher up and let them know. This could get ugly quick. I'm also a teacher and I've had advances as well and I do not play with that mess. Good luck.

"OneGoal" What are you trying?

We all know it is you....

Mistakes you made that gave it away:

1) Your name "harassed teacher"

2) All the detail in the message (including my line manager)

3) What a coincidence? She is on LS too

But good job on getting my response...

Edited by fun2bewith
Too mean....

What is this OneGoal talk?

I did a search and OneGoal hasn't been active since 2006 and has 16 posts.

What is this OneGoal talk?

I did a search and OneGoal hasn't been active since 2006 and has 16 posts.

Try One Goal with a space. And sit down for a long and painful read.

Try One Goal with a space. And sit down for a long and painful read.

Ah that makes more sense.

It's the guy who keeps making posts about his professor.

And now he's roleplaying that he is her

LOL, what a loon.

:laugh:

Wow! Speaks volume as to the quality of education in neoliberal times when professors now have line managers! I just had an image of professors leaning over conveyer belts, trying to edit papers in 2 minute lapses.

SincereOnlineGuy
Hi all

I'm a professional teacher and I have a problem with one of my students. To give you a brief background, he has made passes at me by email. Now I do get passes made at me by students from time to time, and as a teacher, I am fine with dealing with this sort of thing normally.

I did something similar... in 3rd grade... my teacher was 23, and I was 8...

I learned her middle name while eavesdropping one day... and would write notes to her during our 'free writing' periods.

(sigh)

"Dear X.Y.Z., ... "

(I remember the way she gasped in response upon my first using her middle name)

(If only I'd had e-mail technology back then)