I'm in trouble at work! Yesterday I had just got into work (I'm a nurse), had handover and went straight to assist a doctor with getting bloods from a patient. Went to the clinical room to get the bits and pieces (I hold the key to this room) the doctor came in with me, as she was gathering the bits and pieces. I walked out of the room leaving her in there (which is normal, she can close the door behind her).

When she comes out, I take her to the patient. During the time we are with this patient a nonclinical member of staff comes to find me and tells me, handing me a bottle of mouthwash that he found a patient in the clinical room drinking it. I take it off him saying 'Oh my god' then ask him if the door is now closed and he says yes. I say thank you, finish with the patient and go to find the mouthwash drinking patient. I check him over, have a look at the bottle to find he has drunk about a quarter of it. Check the ingredients and find that he would have to drink an enormous amount to do him any harm. I give him some milk and carry on with my day, checking him regularly. Later I ring a pharmacist to double check that I did the right thing, they say yes.

When my manager gets in I completely forget to tell her about this until just before I leave.

My manager rings me in the evening and starts shouting at me down the phone that she has had phone calls from the boss of the whole region, health and safety of the whole hospital and various other people. The guy who found the patient drinking has told them that I took the bottle off him shrugged and said 'oh he always does that', which is completely untrue. My manager was shouting at me and saying 'Why would you say something like that?'

I am so upset, most of all because she would think that I just wouldn't care about a patient's wellbeing. Second, why the hell has this guy gone over the heads of people he would normally lodge a complaint with, i.e. my manager, her manager etc. straight to the top?

Has this guy got it in for me or am I being paranoid?