New Job but do I take it?

Some of you may know that I have a new job lined up. I am 20 years old and don't enjoy my current job in retail, it's the most monotonous job somebody can do. I applied for a few jobs last month and 2 weeks ago I had an interview and they offered me the job which is working checking in customers at the airport and other duties. It will be a much more interesting job than my current one. But there are issue's.

1. It's a lot further than my current work place

2. The pay is only slightly better than my current rate and I bet with the price of travelling I may take home less

3. It's only a 6 months contract, I have asked if people get kept on at the end of the contract and they said they would have to see but usually don't.

4. The hours are terrible I mean like 3am start and such, there all over the place

5. The contract finishes one and a half months after University, that's if I decide to go.

Benefits of my current job are:

1. It's rather flexible

2. It's close

3. Options stay open

4. It doesn't effect on my social life too much

My mother thinks I am crazy for considering it, but I want a change... something fresh to give me a lift. I have been unhappy career wise for a while and this may be a job I would really enjoy. I need to make the decision very soon as forms need to be signed and sent off.

Would you leave a job which makes you feel unhappy as you are unchallenged even though you know there are many draw backs to your new job?

desertIslandCactus

I like everything about your current job especially the options. Is there any room to move up for advancement in the current job.. If answer is: no advanement you'd be interested in ..

Perhaps the new job would be alright .. But the hours (and all over the place) are horrid. And then the commute to accomodate the bad hours.

I've got caught in the trap before of thinking a few industries were glamorous or interesting - then they didn't turn out to be.

I would think the only reason for taking the new job would be for experience - or advancement/transfer into other areas of airport or travel - at another time, and with better hours, salary.