Would you tell your boss if you got engaged?

I Luv the Chariot OH

I'm not so much the sort to go around talking about my non-work life at work, but my ring is so beautiful and sparkly :o) people have started to notice it. My new manager, however, was not one of those. In fact, she didn't realize until HER manager walked by and commented on it, and which point she jumped up and said "WHAT???"

I was very recently promoted, so I haven't been working under my new manager for long, so I didn't even think of telling her beforehand. But then I thought of things like taking off time for my honeymoon, etc., and further than that, the potential that if I am married, I am more likely to have kids in the future and need to take maternity leave.

So what do you say? Is that something personal, or is it only fair to share that sort of news with your immediate supervisor?

When I got hired last year I was engaged and getting married in 5 months. I told her because I needed to clear vacation time for the honeymoon.

Yeah, I think you should tell your boss, she will probably say congratulations. My suggestion would be to hold off on talking about maternity leave and babies unless you plan on having children right away. If it's years away then you can probably just discuss that when it happens.

I wouldn't see any harm in telling your boss. For me personally, I know he'd either just notice the ring or it'd come up in conversation. Then again, we've worked together for four years so it's a different dynamic as with your new manager.

I'd definitely hold off on discussing maternity leave now unless it's relevant.

Duckduckgoose

My last boss was a royal jerk, but I told him when I got engaged. They would take a collection and give you money for getting married. I didn't really show off my ring, as it was a tight deadline kind of place and most people slaved away in their offices.

A guy in my group named Josh got engaged a few months before I did and they took up a collection for him, so I figured it was my turn for some free handouts :p

Pretty much I just knocked, stepped into his office when acknowledged, then told him I was engaged and that in several months I would need a day off to get married. Then left. He was a prick I didn't want to say much more to him.

I got $136 out of it though, not bad. And a bunch of candy and stuff from my other co-workers the day after I got married.:D

Pretty much I just knocked, stepped into his office when acknowledged, then told him I was engaged and that in several months I would need a day off to get married. Then left. He was a prick I didn't want to say much more to him.

:lmao::lmao: