Has anyone ever managed/supervised former peers?

This is a spinoff from my other thread. I am up for a promotion in my department right now. I interviewed on Friday for it. I would be going from a counselor/therapist to the clinical manager of my unit. I would be managing/supervising all my therapist coworkers..I would be their boss.

I seriously nailed the interview. Like every question my supervisor asked, I was spot on and she even commented that I gave great answers. I noticed that most of the questions revolved around how I would handle the transition from peer to supervisor. That obviously is a concern of her's.

So has anyone experienced this? Like either had a peer be promoted or been promoted yourself?

This is a spinoff from my other thread. I am up for a promotion in my department right now. I interviewed on Friday for it. I would be going from a counselor/therapist to the clinical manager of my unit. I would be managing/supervising all my therapist coworkers..I would be their boss.

I seriously nailed the interview. Like every question my supervisor asked, I was spot on and she even commented that I gave great answers. I noticed that most of the questions revolved around how I would handle the transition from peer to supervisor. That obviously is a concern of her's.

So has anyone experienced this? Like either had a peer be promoted or been promoted yourself?

I've not quite managed peers with whom I've worked, but I've managed people I knew before they worked for me, which is somewhat similar. Basically, it doesn't have to be a big deal, but it depends on how you respond to things. Let people know what your expectations are, and let people know that there will be consequences for not meeting those expectations. At the same time, how you communicate that, how you deal with that is hugely important. Try to be firm but not overbearing.

• Author
I've not quite managed peers with whom I've worked, but I've managed people I knew before they worked for me, which is somewhat similar. Basically, it doesn't have to be a big deal, but it depends on how you respond to things. Let people know what your expectations are, and let people know that there will be consequences for not meeting those expectations. At the same time, how you communicate that, how you deal with that is hugely important. Try to be firm but not overbearing.

Thank you for your response. I think my supervisor is mainly concerned about how THEY will respond to ME (i.e. not listen to me or take me seriously). She knows from working with me, that I am respectful and appropriate. Unfortunately, some of my coworkers may NOT be this way.

Did anyone you supervised give you a hard time or display resistance?

I have to work with four that were demoted. It has been challenging to say the least. Moral of the story: to be firm but fair, always follow company procedures with everyone. Be aware that if they have done the job before, they know what the expectations are and might get touchy if they feel patronized .

• Author
I have to work with four that were demoted. It has been challenging to say the least. Moral of the story: to be firm but fair, always follow company procedures with everyone. Be aware that if they have done the job before, they know what the expectations are and might get touchy if they feel patronized .

Yeah, I feel that I am firm but fair. I'm more "firm" then my supervisor is, so one of my concerns is that my coworkers will underperform (which they get away with currently because my supervisor does not work as closely with clinical staff as I do) so I see a lot more then she does. So if she gives me the job, would I have authority to give them consequences that she hasn't? She said I would be their boss, so apparently yes...

Yes, you do have the authority and should make sure they understand that there will be consequences from the very beginning.

They might try to take the mick , this is where diplomacy and tact comes in when clarifying, that as the boss, you have expectations that need to be met. Generally, things settle after the initial rebellion, just be consistent.

laRubiaBonita

if you get the postion, it would benefit you to meet with the people you will oversee and tell them Day One what you expect, what they can expect and try and answer any questions.

i would stress that you would like an "open door policy" and that they should feel comfortable telling you things, etc....

• Author
if you get the postion, it would benefit you to meet with the people you will oversee and tell them Day One what you expect, what they can expect and try and answer any questions.

i would stress that you would like an "open door policy" and that they should feel comfortable telling you things, etc....

I have been trying to do research on the "first day expectations" thing. Most of the articles say that it is important NOT to disqualify yourself for the position (i.e. "I realize I am younger/less experienced then all of you") because they will lose respect for you, and it shows that you are not confident that you can handle the position.

If they didn't apply for the position, you might experience less push back than you're worried about. :)

Also, will you be responsible for or contributing to THEIR performance reviews? Or will that be left to your superior?

• Author
If they didn't apply for the position, you might experience less push back than you're worried about. :)

That's true, I am the only one who applied or even wants the position.

Also, will you be responsible for or contributing to THEIR performance reviews? Or will that be left to your superior?

Yes, I will be responsible for completing their evaluations. I would also have authority to fire them, my supervisor actually asked me in the interview if I would be okay with that!!

Feelin Frisky

I have. The way it will play out will always depend on both the individuals you supervise and your manner of working with them. My experience was that there was an element of resentment against me. But that's too bad for them. A few made such nuisances of themselves that it came to the ultimate showdown and I had to fire them. I don't expect that everyone will have the same experience however. I just happened to have been their peer for too long and that's only the way they saw me. If I had just walked in the door they wouldn't have any preconceptions and would have just accepted me. I don't internalize it that there was something wrong with me or my style. It was clearly resentment I didn't earn and my experience with the many other people I supervised was good.

• Author
I have. The way it will play out will always depend on both the individuals you supervise and your manner of working with them. My experience was that there was an element of resentment against me. But that's too bad for them. A few made such nuisances of themselves that it came to the ultimate showdown and I had to fire them. I don't expect that everyone will have the same experience however. I just happened to have been their peer for too long and that's only the way they saw me. If I had just walked in the door they wouldn't have any preconceptions and would have just accepted me. I don't internalize it that there was something wrong with me or my style. It was clearly resentment I didn't earn and my experience with the many other people I supervised was good.

The good thing is that I have worked with them for 10 months and none of them are my very close friends. I don't hang out with them outside of work or talk to them on the phone or anything. I just basically see them at work and chit chat with them. I think that my coworkers would maybe think it was weird at first but I think they would probably get used to it with the exception of one person..that unfortunately may result in a firing situation, which is what my supervisor eluded to during the interview.

• Author

So I saw a girl from another unit with a suit on today, which means she probably interviewed for the position. She has a lot more seniority at the company then I do, but I know a lot more about my unit then her. She is good freinds with my supervisor though, so I'm a little concerned that she will get "favored" because of it.

• Author

Okay, UPDATE. I did not hear back about the position, however I got some insider info from a coworker about interviews this week.

My question is: if you were highering a manager and you had to chose between two equally qualified canidates, one who is already in the unit and one who isn't, who would you chose?

Okay, UPDATE. I did not hear back about the position, however I got some insider info from a coworker about interviews this week.

My question is: if you were highering a manager and you had to chose between two equally qualified canidates, one who is already in the unit and one who isn't, who would you chose?

I'd probably decide based on who I thought would be more effective in managing the folks within the particular unit (i.e., probably more personality based).

If she's concerned about you being able to get along with your subordinates (or them with you, whichever), she may go for the outsider. If not, it seems the insider (you) would be the more appropriate choice. That depends more on the folks in your unit than on either one of the candidates.

But I thought you said this outside gal has more experience (her strength) whereas you have less but know more about how your unit operates?

Either way, I'm gunning for you, LB! Keep your eye on the prize - even if it's that other position you applied for.

• Author
I'd probably decide based on who I thought would be more effective in managing the folks within the particular unit (i.e., probably more personality based).

If she's concerned about you being able to get along with your subordinates (or them with you, whichever), she may go for the outsider. If not, it seems the insider (you) would be the more appropriate choice. That depends more on the folks in your unit than on either one of the candidates.

But I thought you said this outside gal has more experience (her strength) whereas you have less but know more about how your unit operates?

Either way, I'm gunning for you, LB! Keep your eye on the prize - even if it's that other position you applied for.

I get along with all my coworkers, I do have the "problem coworker" who raises hell, but that is not restricted to me, she treats everyone in the unit that way. I think she would be resistant to me being her supervisor, mostly because she knows that I am on to her. Outside girl knows her as well and is aware of her behavior ( I had a chat with her today, before I knew she was the one up for the job) so when she tries to do something about it, my problem coworker will raise hell. So basically there will be drama no matter who gets promoted, because neither of us will put up with her. (if my supervisor realizes that!)

We actually both have the same amount of experience, the difference is that all her experience is at this company, whereas my experience is split between two companies. I feel like that could work in my favor though, becasue I have have worked with different types of patients and in different settings.

I'm trying to think of ways to give myself the edge this week while she makes her decision!

Edited by Lauriebell82
I get along with all my coworkers, I do have the "problem coworker" who raises hell, but that is not restricted to me, she treats everyone in the unit that way. I think she would be resistant to me being her supervisor, mostly because she knows that I am on to her. Outside girl knows her as well and is aware of her behavior ( I had a chat with her today, before I knew she was the one up for the job) so when she tries to do something about it, my problem coworker will raise hell. So basically there will be drama no matter who gets promoted, because neither of us will put up with her. (if my supervisor realizes that!)

We actually both have the same amount of experience, the difference is that all her experience is at this company, whereas my experience is split between two companies. I feel like that could work in my favor though, becasue I have have worked with different types of patients and in different settings.

I'm trying to think of ways to give myself the edge this week while she makes her decision!

Right, this is is what I was getting at - who could handle the problem employees better, based on the dynamics of your unit and the personalities involved.

I remember when I interviewed where I am now, one of the higher ups asked me how I'd handle an oversensitive member of the support staff (subordinate to me) who has a martyr complex. (This person was to be my assistant, didn't know it at the time.) I forget what my answer was, but it became obvious that they needed someone who was not only qualified for the job, but could handle the existing staff...this particular person specifically. I only had the interview to answer their question, but you still have more time to answer a similar inquiry through your behavior.

At this point, I'd find ways to somehow show/communicate to your boss how well you're able to handle troublesome people - clients/patients, maybe? Be firm and confident, and if you sense a bitchy statement about to come out of your mouth about someone or their behavior, restrain yourself while describing the behavior/concern in an objective way.

For example, if this gal comes up in conversation, rather than say she's going to raise hell, say something like, "Change is difficult for many people. We'll work together to make this transition as smooth as possible for everyone, no matter who is selected."

Lead by example. :)

• Author

Thanks SG. I don't actually use the phrase "raise hell" in workplace, that is unprofessional. My supervisor asked me in the interview how I would deal with a resistent staff member, I responded similar to your statement about there being a transition process, and that I would want us all to work together to make it as smooth as possible.

I have spoken to my supervisor about my coworkers in the past, describing behaviors in an objective and analytical manner, so she is aware that I will treat staff members in respectful and appropriate manner, which I always do. I guess she is worried about how I will react to conflict and fights among therapists, which happen sometimes. I deal with it by putting it in the context the behavior is their own issue, but I have been proactive as of lately trying to do damage control and address the conflict.

My supervisor realizes that I have seen this conflict and have reacted positively, outside girl doesn't know these conflicts exist and would be a little more "unprepared" for what would happen. So I guess I would think I would handle it better because I know it's coming and I know how to react to everyone's personalities and outside girl doesn't? But I guess she could learn and if she is proactive also, she would be able to handle it to. So I don't know!

You're welcome. :)

I didn't mean that you'd actually say "raise hell," :laugh: I was just using that as an example. Even a grunt or groan or weird facial expression can denote the same thing, so just try to keep things positive.

It sounds like there are positives and negatives to both of you, and that it'll be a difficult decision for her to make either way. An outsider won't know the dynamics of the group, but the group might resist an insider's rise in the ranks. There could also be some bureaucratic crap behind the scenes that you know nothing about. But I hope she picks you!

For what it's worth, LB... Comparing who you are now to who you were when you first came to LS is like night and day. I hardly recognize the old LB anymore. I really like this version, it's the better, real, mature you. :)

• Author
You're welcome. :)

I didn't mean that you'd actually say "raise hell," :laugh: I was just using that as an example. Even a grunt or groan or weird facial expression can denote the same thing, so just try to keep things positive.

It sounds like there are positives and negatives to both of you, and that it'll be a difficult decision for her to make either way. An outsider won't know the dynamics of the group, but the group might resist an insider's rise in the ranks. There could also be some bureaucratic crap behind the scenes that you know nothing about. But I hope she picks you!

For what it's worth, LB... Comparing who you are now to who you were when you first came to LS is like night and day. I hardly recognize the old LB anymore. I really like this version, it's the better, real, mature you. :)

Thanks. :) My supervisor said she could tell a difference in me from even 10 months ago when she interviewed me. She said I am much more confident and my answers are phrased in a more precise and well thought out manner. So that's a good sign! She also responded to my answers with "beautiful" and "that's perfect." She could have said that to the other girl though! I think you are exactly right about the decision she has to make between the two of us. I guess she has to decide which "transition" she wants to make. It could go either way I suppose! I feel more anxious now because until I found out that outside girl was up for it, I was more confident that I was going to get it. Now I'm not so sure...

I will be disappointed if I don't get this promotion, I think it will be hard to see this girl be in the role I wanted.

Thank you for your response. I think my supervisor is mainly concerned about how THEY will respond to ME (i.e. not listen to me or take me seriously). She knows from working with me, that I am respectful and appropriate. Unfortunately, some of my coworkers may NOT be this way.

Did anyone you supervised give you a hard time or display resistance?

No, not really.

The most difficult situation I had ever was when the assistant I hired was getting boinked by one of my supervisors. Fortunately, my other supervisors caught on to what was happening and reassured me that I could take whatever action I wanted. There was a tense moment or two when I confronted them both on the matter, but in the end it worked out and we actually ended up having a great working relationship.

People do weird things on the job. I think maybe it's because people sometimes forget that they're on the premises to do a job, not to bring their personal sh*t into the situation. But I've just come to expect that people are going to do that. As a supervisor you just have to occasionally remind people why they're there. You don't necessarily have to be a hard-ass about it, but sometimes there's no other choice.

• Author

I'm getting so anxious because I haven't heard anything!!! I need to get my mind off of it but it's so hard. Any suggestions? I'm debating on asking my supervisor what the status is...

laRubiaBonita
I'm getting so anxious because I haven't heard anything!!! I need to get my mind off of it but it's so hard. Any suggestions? I'm debating on asking my supervisor what the status is...

this is a great excercise in practicing patience!

You could ask when they expect the decision to be made.