I know this is a common dilemma

Okay, here goes...I recently moved several states away due to my husband's job and I have been looking for a job in my career field. The area we moved to doesn't have a lot of professional opportunities, especially in my field. Unfortunately, since my husband earns a better income, at least at this time, I had to leave my old job when we moved.

I took a very part-time position in my new area for far less pay and completely not in my career field. I took the job because I wanted to be doing something and the little extra income is nice while I look for a job in my field...and yes, there are jobs out there in my field. It will just take some time. However, how do I address this on my resume and/or with potential employers in my field? I do not want to not be considered for jobs in my field if they just look at my current job. I almost feel like I shouldn't have taken this job but I wanted to be working after being off for a couple of months.

If you have been in this situation and still were able to get back into your career field, what did you do? How did you address this issue on your resume? I don't want to be dishonest (by not listing it) but I don't want to be passed over when they see the "stupid" job that I am working now.

Advice please! :)

Hi,

I think personally i would just put your relevant work experience on your cv. Employers don't usually have much interest if u worked in a completely different job with no connection to the position being applied for. Once you have an interview you could mention your current position, and the reasons you have taken your current job. It could be seen as a positive that you have been active even if it's not in your usual role.

I know recently, i applied for a job, and i only put relevant experience on there. I got the job:)

Good luck!

It looks MUCH better to have a job going into an interview (even if it's not in your field) then to not have a job at all. Are you currently in a professional type job that could be put on a resume?

On the cover letter is probably where I would put something like what you said about wanting to get back into your chosen field. Like sammy said, it looks positive that you took a job so you could continue to work and I would tell them that. It will make you look like a hard worker and that you are willing to step up for your family.

• Author
Hi,

I think personally i would just put your relevant work experience on your cv. Employers don't usually have much interest if u worked in a completely different job with no connection to the position being applied for. Once you have an interview you could mention your current position, and the reasons you have taken your current job. It could be seen as a positive that you have been active even if it's not in your usual role.

This was my thought as well...to mention my current job in the interview. Then I am not leaving anything out of the process. Thank you!

It looks MUCH better to have a job going into an interview (even if it's not in your field) then to not have a job at all. Are you currently in a professional type job that could be put on a resume?

On the cover letter is probably where I would put something like what you said about wanting to get back into your chosen field. Like sammy said, it looks positive that you took a job so you could continue to work and I would tell them that. It will make you look like a hard worker and that you are willing to step up for your family.

I had considered that it does look good to already have a job as I look for another one. My current job is a professional type job but one that I am over-qualified for, the pay is lousy, and it is not in my industry.

I was concerned that if I listed the job on my resume, that I would be overlooked because the types of jobs I am applying for are very different than the one I am in.

The cover letter might be a good place to mention this as well as the interview...if I can get to that point.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will need to think about it some more but it seems to me that the cover letter is the place to mention it.

I was concerned that if I listed the job on my resume, that I would be overlooked because the types of jobs I am applying for are very different than the one I am in.

No, you won't be overlooked. You will probably be passed over MORE if it looks like you are currently unemployed on your resume. And then just explain on the cover letter that you are looking to get back into your field.

• Author
No, you won't be overlooked. You will probably be passed over MORE if it looks like you are currently unemployed on your resume. And then just explain on the cover letter that you are looking to get back into your field.

Okay, well I changed my cover letter slightly to include my current job. We'll see how it goes!

One good move is to create a functional resume (as opposed to chronological) so that your relevant qualifications are the first thing a prospective employer sees.

In the interview or in the cover letter you can address the reasons for taking the temporary job you hold now.

I recently read an article that said that a lot of employers will not hire someone no matter what the experience or qualifications if they are not currently employed. Some employers are so brazen as to actually put this info on the job info.

Yeah, when I was unemployed and looking for a job the first few months was really rough because I had to say I wasn't working. I started working at a grocery store part time and that actually helped me find a job (not one that I really wanted though) but I think they liked that I was actually working and attempting to make money in the meantime! I could tell the difference in the interview.

I think they like if you have a job, no matter what it is. It just shows that you have work ethic and that someone actually was willing to hire you (even if the job isn't in your chosen field).

I know you don't agree with this OP, but I think you should put your current job on your resume since it is a professional job. Sometimes HR departments will not even bother to read the cover letter (they get 100's of resumes), they will just go straight to your resume. If you don't have the job on your resume, it will look like you are currently unemployed if they chose not to read your cover letter. They will not think it's weird or fishy that you are in a job that is not in your field, since you moved because your husband found a new job. It makes sense that you did not have the time to do a complete job search and just took something temporary and part time.

Edited by Lauriebell82
  • Author

Thanks, Laurie and Lady Grey, I may reconsider and add my current job to my resume. Or, like another poster suggested, create a functional resume instead of a chronological one.

I do agree that it looks good to be able to say that I am currently working...

One good move is to create a functional resume (as opposed to chronological) so that your relevant qualifications are the first thing a prospective employer sees.

In the interview or in the cover letter you can address the reasons for taking the temporary job you hold now.

I think that's a good idea too if you did want to add it on there.

I spoke to one of my friends who recruits on a large scale for a company, and he said he only looks at relevant experience/qualifications on a CV. Because he gets so many applications, he doesn't want to read through waffle, the ones that stand out are the ones with relevant experience. Keep precise and to the point:)

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!