Thrown myself into the deep end - terrified!

I've done it. I've completed enrolment and selected the courses that I will be taking in the following year. In one year, I will be attempting to do all that is needed to attain the equivalent of a BSc in Computer Science... which usually takes 3 years.

The only reason I'm allowed to do this is because I have a first degree already - although it's in a different field altogether. Even then, most people going this route do it in 2. The professor who spoke to me told me that the absolute minimum he would recommend for a person coming from an unrelated degree, is 1.5 years, although he would not stop me if I insisted.

For a myriad of reasons, mainly financial, that are too detailed to explain here, I don't have much of a choice except to do it in 1 year. So I chose my subjects as such. Still, I'm bloody scared. I'll be doing two second-year subjects and two third-year subjects in my first semester alone.

I've done a significant amount of preparation. For someone with no previous tertiary computer background, I can now write basic programs in C, C++, Java, and Python, I know the basics of computer/OS architecture and network design, as well as some algorithm/AI principles. I have some fuzzy recollection of advanced mathematics and physics from the good ol' upper high school days, when I used to be pretty good even by Asian standards, although I should probably revisit them again.

I still feel woefully, woefully unprepared. All the bf says when I mention my fears is, "Well, it should be fine for someone of your calibre", and "If you really need to do it in 1.5 years, I'll just have to support you". Which is all well and good, but again, for reasons too detailed to explain here, I still chose to take the challenge and do it in 1.

The worst thing is, I actually need to do very well, not just pass, to have a chance at receiving a Masters scholarship after this. Sometimes I get struck by thoughts of, "What makes you think you can achieve what 95% of people who actually did a PROPER 3 year course couldn't?"

Edited by Elswyth

Wow, respect to you. You better sign off LS and start reading :p

It's a great feeling to really put all your mind and effort into something you want to achieve. I'm sure you'll really enjoy it even though it will be hard work. Good luck :)