I am applying for a management position...

I'm very nervous about this. A clinical manager position was JUST created in my unit, and I am going to apply for it. I spoke with my supervisor about it, and she said that I would be a canidate and I meet the criteria and experience..but just barely (she didn't say the "just barely" part). It's possible someone with more experience could apply and beat me out though. Any thoughts on this?

Go for it. You might just get it.

No point in worrying whether other candidates might or might not pop up.

Best of luck :)

• Author
Go for it. You might just get it.

No point in worrying whether other candidates might or might not pop up.

Best of luck :)

Thanks! I had already told my supervisor that I want to get into management, and I want to get my foot in the door here. I think the only thing that may happen would be people in my department getting upset that I got promoted, however none of them (therapists) would be interested in the job. Should I tell her that I understand if they want to hire someone with more experience or supervisory experience? I feel like that would make me look like I'm not real serious in wanting it though...

Does the management job still allow you to see your own patients and help people directly (i.e., doing what you really want to do), or are you just applying because it's better hours and more money?

I ask because I've been eligible for a supervisory/chief position in my department, but I don't want it, because it would be more administrative/bureaucratic than actually practicing law, so I don't want it...for now, anyway.

If the job is what you want, I say go for it. But given how green you really are in the grand scheme of things, it's definitely possible (and quite probable) that someone with more experience will get the position instead. But even if that happens, the fact you applied and went for it shows your company that you're interested in advancement, and really want that kind of job. When it opens again, apply again. And again. Until you're the most qualified candidate, and have proven to them how badly you want the position.

Attitude and drive are just as important as qualifications to many employers. So go for it!!

I think the only thing that may happen would be people in my department getting upset that I got promoted, however none of them (therapists) would be interested in the job. Should I tell her that I understand if they want to hire someone with more experience or supervisory experience? I feel like that would make me look like I'm not real serious in wanting it though...

Again, I don't think that you should be concerned about whether or not others in your department will get upset. If they wanted the job, they should have applied for it. If they didn't, then they missed the boat.

And no, I don't advise telling your employers what you suggested. That would be self-sabotage and yes, it wouldn't reflect well on you.

Let your employers make their own decision about who is right for the job. And as Star suggested, if you don't get it. Keep applying until you do.

If you want it, go and get it. No point in talking yourself out of it before a decision's even been made. :)

Edited by january2011
  • Author
Does the management job still allow you to see your own patients and help people directly (i.e., doing what you really want to do), or are you just applying because it's better hours and more money?

I ask because I've been eligible for a supervisory/chief position in my department, but I don't want it, because it would be more administrative/bureaucratic than actually practicing law, so I don't want it...for now, anyway.

If the job is what you want, I say go for it. But given how green you really are in the grand scheme of things, it's definitely possible (and quite probable) that someone with more experience will get the position instead. But even if that happens, the fact you applied and went for it shows your company that you're interested in advancement, and really want that kind of job. When it opens again, apply again. And again. Until you're the most qualified candidate, and have proven to them how badly you want the position.

Attitude and drive are just as important as qualifications to many employers. So go for it!!

More money/better hours is definately a bonus, but I really do want to get into a management/supervision role. My ultimate career goal is to be a director of an agency one day, so this will get my foot in the door. I will still get to do direct care with patients, but won't have a caseload or anything. It's true I may not get it because there are certainly canidates with more experience, but I want to at least try. Like you said, it shows them I'm interested in advancement.

Hi LB - long time and good luck :)

here's my 2 cent = don't be so hesitant and doubtful, this does not make you seem more suitable for the job....

Anyway - among all those who qualify on skills - the selection is purely on character, and often character would take priority over skills...

After all - skills you can learn - your character is not likely to change...

• Author

I did apply for the job, my supervisor said she would be "talking with me" so we shall see what happens! I really hope she does consider me for the job!

• Author

So I'm not very encouraged that my supervisor is going to consider me for this position. She has not said one word to me about it yet, and they put the positon on the website. I guess I'm not their first choice for the job.

LB, don't stress. When your manager speaks with you be confident and explain your skills and goals. Show them that you're valuable and that you want to grow within the organization.

If you don't get the job that's ok. At least you will show management that you are driven and interested in working up in the company which is a great thing to demonstrate.

no need to jump to conclusions yet. You will only know when the position is filled. It's ok if you don't get it, it's only bad if you didn't try out of fear and you're past that stage already.

• Author

Thank you everyone. I'm just so bored with my current job that I really want to take on new responsibilities and challenges. My only hope at this point (if I don't get the manager job) to get a higher paying/more responsibility job, is if my one coworker doesn't come back after her maternity leave ends in a few weeks.

laRubiaBonita
and they put the positon on the website. I guess I'm not their first choice for the job.

many, if not most, companies will advertise for a position externally unless it is specified that they only want an internal hire.

It means nothing more than the company is reaching out to hire tha best candidate for the job.

start practicing your interview skills now though.

• Author
many, if not most, companies will advertise for a position externally unless it is specified that they only want an internal hire.

It means nothing more than the company is reaching out to hire tha best candidate for the job.

start practicing your interview skills now though.

Yeah, the reason why I am concerned is because there was another clinical manager job open in the adolescent unit (which I didn't have interest in applying for) that came out a few days prior to the one in my department. They filled that position right away and it never even made it to the website, so I guess they hired someone internally (but didn't specify that's what they wanted to do).

• Author

Okay UPDATE!!!

My supervisor emailed me and scheduled me for an interview for the clinical manager position next week!!! I'm so excited! This will be good also, because I am comfortable with my supervisor and will not be as nervous!

Now she scheduled the interview during my shift (like in the middle of it) so I'm wondering how I should dress. Usually I wear business casual to work, but since this is an interview should I just dress up really nice? Like pant suit? I would think that would show her I am serious about the job, I'd just be really overdressed for work! What does everyone think?

I would go for the pant suit (you have no idea how odd that sounds to English like me :D). Just take the jacket off whilst you are working and put it back on for the interview.

Good luck :)

Thank you everyone. I'm just so bored with my current job that I really want to take on new responsibilities and challenges. My only hope at this point (if I don't get the manager job) to get a higher paying/more responsibility job, is if my one coworker doesn't come back after her maternity leave ends in a few weeks.

LB, this isn't the "only hope." You can also remain at the current position and keep excelling and demonstrating to management that you are promotion worthy. I wish you all the best but I want you to understand that expecting a promotion in less than a year may not be the most realistic. I don't want you to get discouraged or start hating your job if you don't get promoted this time.

My supervisor emailed me and scheduled me for an interview for the clinical manager position next week!!! I'm so excited! This will be good also, because I am comfortable with my supervisor and will not be as nervous!

Now she scheduled the interview during my shift (like in the middle of it) so I'm wondering how I should dress. Usually I wear business casual to work, but since this is an interview should I just dress up really nice? Like pant suit? I would think that would show her I am serious about the job, I'd just be really overdressed for work! What does everyone think?

Congratulations! That's great. I hope you've thought about what you should say so that you're well prepared.

As for the dress. Does the position you are applying for require a more formal dress code than business casual? If so, go for the pant suit. If the new position has the same dress code as you have currently don't over dress. Dress a little neater than usually, maybe nice pants and a blouse, but don't go with the suit.

My company hires/interviews internally all the time (we are business casual also for most employees) and no one ever wears a suit or dresses much differently.

• Author
LB, this isn't the "only hope." You can also remain at the current position and keep excelling and demonstrating to management that you are promotion worthy. I wish you all the best but I want you to understand that expecting a promotion in less than a year may not be the most realistic. I don't want you to get discouraged or start hating your job if you don't get promoted this time.

Yeah, I am trying not to expect it. I guess because I have excelled at my position and have worked so hard, it's more that I feel I DESERVE it.

Congratulations! That's great. I hope you've thought about what you should say so that you're well prepared.

As for the dress. Does the position you are applying for require a more formal dress code than business casual? If so, go for the pant suit. If the new position has the same dress code as you have currently don't over dress. Dress a little neater than usually, maybe nice pants and a blouse, but don't go with the suit.

My company hires/interviews internally all the time (we are business casual also for most employees) and no one ever wears a suit or dresses much differently.

Thanks, I will probably wear one of my more dressy business casual outfits. The position does not require a different dress code then my current position. I'm unsure what exactly my supervisor will ask me, this is my direct supervisor who will make this decision, she already knows my work and my education and job history and how I currently work. I had already told her why I want to get into management when I told her I wanted to apply for the position. Not that I think I'm too good to be interviewed or anything (and I certainly wouldn't show that) but I'm curious what kinds of questions she has for me. Management related ones? Anybody ever been interviewed for a management position?

Edited by Lauriebell82
  • Author

Keep your fingers crossed for me!!! I'm hoping this isn't a pity interview and she is actually considering me!

I have to disagree with Allina about dress. I'm in business casual most days (when not in court or deposition), and most of our staff wear jeans everyday. When interviewing internally (either for promotions or lateral positions), everyone dresses as though it's their FIRST interview - a suit. Doing so otherwise somewhat suggests you feel you have an "in" and don't need to live up to the expectations for other candidates.

But you know your office best, LB. Maybe speak to someone in HR about what's typical?

• Author
I have to disagree with Allina about dress. I'm in business casual most days (when not in court or deposition), and most of our staff wear jeans everyday. When interviewing internally (either for promotions or lateral positions), everyone dresses as though it's their FIRST interview - a suit. Doing so otherwise somewhat suggests you feel you have an "in" and don't need to live up to the expectations for other candidates.

But you know your office best, LB. Maybe speak to someone in HR about what's typical?

Well, if I were interviewing for a position at another site, and it was outside of my normal work hours then I would wear a suit, definately. But considering that the interview (which I suspect is going to be informal) is during my normal work hours AND it is with my direct supervisor, then maybe a suit would not be appropriate. I also don't want my other coworkers to know that I am interviewing for it, I did tell a few that I applied, but I don't really want to go around broadcasting it until I actually get the job. If I show up in a suit they will definately think something is up.

I asked my dad who is in HR and he said that I should wear something "especially nice" that day, like a nice pair of black pants and a formal button down shirt.

I'm really not sure what to expect from this meeting, I suspect that my supervisor will just give me some indication whether or not she is seriously considering me for this job and maybe ask me a few questions. She knows everything about my work already. I worry that this is some sort of "pity interview" that I am not really a canidate, that she is just meeting with me so she can let me down gently. I hope that isn't the case.

Good luck, LB. And remember to interview as if no one on the panel already knows you or your work. :)

It's not a panel interview, just my immediate supervisor, but if she does ask me technical questions I will answer as if she doesn't already know what I'm going to say.