LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

I am applying for a management position...


Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st January 2011, 2:04 PM   #16
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western PA
Posts: 7,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by laRubiaBonita View Post
many, if not most, companies will advertise for a position externally unless it is specified that they only want an internal hire.
It means nothing more than the company is reaching out to hire tha best candidate for the job.

start practicing your interview skills now though.
Yeah, the reason why I am concerned is because there was another clinical manager job open in the adolescent unit (which I didn't have interest in applying for) that came out a few days prior to the one in my department. They filled that position right away and it never even made it to the website, so I guess they hired someone internally (but didn't specify that's what they wanted to do).
Lauriebell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 4:19 PM   #17
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western PA
Posts: 7,357
Okay UPDATE!!!

My supervisor emailed me and scheduled me for an interview for the clinical manager position next week!!! I'm so excited! This will be good also, because I am comfortable with my supervisor and will not be as nervous!

Now she scheduled the interview during my shift (like in the middle of it) so I'm wondering how I should dress. Usually I wear business casual to work, but since this is an interview should I just dress up really nice? Like pant suit? I would think that would show her I am serious about the job, I'd just be really overdressed for work! What does everyone think?
Lauriebell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 5:51 PM   #18
Established Member
 
anne1707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,512
I would go for the pant suit (you have no idea how odd that sounds to English like me ). Just take the jacket off whilst you are working and put it back on for the interview.

Good luck
__________________
"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.."

- Richard Dawkins
anne1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 6:30 PM   #19
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 8,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriebell82 View Post
Thank you everyone. I'm just so bored with my current job that I really want to take on new responsibilities and challenges. My only hope at this point (if I don't get the manager job) to get a higher paying/more responsibility job, is if my one coworker doesn't come back after her maternity leave ends in a few weeks.
LB, this isn't the "only hope." You can also remain at the current position and keep excelling and demonstrating to management that you are promotion worthy. I wish you all the best but I want you to understand that expecting a promotion in less than a year may not be the most realistic. I don't want you to get discouraged or start hating your job if you don't get promoted this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriebell82 View Post

My supervisor emailed me and scheduled me for an interview for the clinical manager position next week!!! I'm so excited! This will be good also, because I am comfortable with my supervisor and will not be as nervous!

Now she scheduled the interview during my shift (like in the middle of it) so I'm wondering how I should dress. Usually I wear business casual to work, but since this is an interview should I just dress up really nice? Like pant suit? I would think that would show her I am serious about the job, I'd just be really overdressed for work! What does everyone think?
Congratulations! That's great. I hope you've thought about what you should say so that you're well prepared.

As for the dress. Does the position you are applying for require a more formal dress code than business casual? If so, go for the pant suit. If the new position has the same dress code as you have currently don't over dress. Dress a little neater than usually, maybe nice pants and a blouse, but don't go with the suit.

My company hires/interviews internally all the time (we are business casual also for most employees) and no one ever wears a suit or dresses much differently.
__________________
the problem with logic is there's too many loopholes
and the problem with truth is that it's usually brutal
allina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2011, 9:37 AM   #20
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western PA
Posts: 7,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by allina View Post
LB, this isn't the "only hope." You can also remain at the current position and keep excelling and demonstrating to management that you are promotion worthy. I wish you all the best but I want you to understand that expecting a promotion in less than a year may not be the most realistic. I don't want you to get discouraged or start hating your job if you don't get promoted this time.
Yeah, I am trying not to expect it. I guess because I have excelled at my position and have worked so hard, it's more that I feel I DESERVE it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allina View Post
Congratulations! That's great. I hope you've thought about what you should say so that you're well prepared.

As for the dress. Does the position you are applying for require a more formal dress code than business casual? If so, go for the pant suit. If the new position has the same dress code as you have currently don't over dress. Dress a little neater than usually, maybe nice pants and a blouse, but don't go with the suit.

My company hires/interviews internally all the time (we are business casual also for most employees) and no one ever wears a suit or dresses much differently.
Thanks, I will probably wear one of my more dressy business casual outfits. The position does not require a different dress code then my current position. I'm unsure what exactly my supervisor will ask me, this is my direct supervisor who will make this decision, she already knows my work and my education and job history and how I currently work. I had already told her why I want to get into management when I told her I wanted to apply for the position. Not that I think I'm too good to be interviewed or anything (and I certainly wouldn't show that) but I'm curious what kinds of questions she has for me. Management related ones? Anybody ever been interviewed for a management position?

Last edited by Lauriebell82; 22nd January 2011 at 9:40 AM..
Lauriebell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 11:14 AM   #21
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western PA
Posts: 7,357
Keep your fingers crossed for me!!! I'm hoping this isn't a pity interview and she is actually considering me!
Lauriebell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 11:21 AM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 26,422
I have to disagree with Allina about dress. I'm in business casual most days (when not in court or deposition), and most of our staff wear jeans everyday. When interviewing internally (either for promotions or lateral positions), everyone dresses as though it's their FIRST interview - a suit. Doing so otherwise somewhat suggests you feel you have an "in" and don't need to live up to the expectations for other candidates.

But you know your office best, LB. Maybe speak to someone in HR about what's typical?
Star Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 11:28 AM   #23
Established Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,426
Good luck, LB. And remember to interview as if no one on the panel already knows you or your work.
donnamaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 11:32 AM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 26,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamaybe View Post
And remember to interview as if no one on the panel already knows you or your work.
Yes!

And good luck!!
Star Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 3:20 PM   #25
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western PA
Posts: 7,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Gazer View Post
I have to disagree with Allina about dress. I'm in business casual most days (when not in court or deposition), and most of our staff wear jeans everyday. When interviewing internally (either for promotions or lateral positions), everyone dresses as though it's their FIRST interview - a suit. Doing so otherwise somewhat suggests you feel you have an "in" and don't need to live up to the expectations for other candidates.

But you know your office best, LB. Maybe speak to someone in HR about what's typical?
Well, if I were interviewing for a position at another site, and it was outside of my normal work hours then I would wear a suit, definately. But considering that the interview (which I suspect is going to be informal) is during my normal work hours AND it is with my direct supervisor, then maybe a suit would not be appropriate. I also don't want my other coworkers to know that I am interviewing for it, I did tell a few that I applied, but I don't really want to go around broadcasting it until I actually get the job. If I show up in a suit they will definately think something is up.

I asked my dad who is in HR and he said that I should wear something "especially nice" that day, like a nice pair of black pants and a formal button down shirt.

I'm really not sure what to expect from this meeting, I suspect that my supervisor will just give me some indication whether or not she is seriously considering me for this job and maybe ask me a few questions. She knows everything about my work already. I worry that this is some sort of "pity interview" that I am not really a canidate, that she is just meeting with me so she can let me down gently. I hope that isn't the case.


Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamaybe View Post
Good luck, LB. And remember to interview as if no one on the panel already knows you or your work.
It's not a panel interview, just my immediate supervisor, but if she does ask me technical questions I will answer as if she doesn't already know what I'm going to say.
Lauriebell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 3:26 PM   #26
Established Member
 
laRubiaBonita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Up your Butt (!)
Posts: 8,207
quit worrying soooo much geeze!

they would not waste their time with a pity interview, LB, trust me; i am sure they have better things to do than to string you along.

wear what you would normally wear to an interview, i like the idea of a jacket that you can put on and dress it more and themn take off to be a bit more casual. and as far as everyone else in your ofice is concern- well they are not of concern. who cares if they think you have some interview or not....

quit worrying about the things not in your control.
__________________
‎"I am willing to move out of my comfort zone and experience life in a new way." ~ Louise L. Hay
laRubiaBonita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 3:41 PM   #27
Established Member
 
anne1707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriebell82 View Post
Well, if I were interviewing for a position at another site, and it was outside of my normal work hours then I would wear a suit, definately. But considering that the interview (which I suspect is going to be informal) is during my normal work hours AND it is with my direct supervisor, then maybe a suit would not be appropriate.
I disagree. I think it is in fact entirely appropriate that you wear a suit. You should be approaching this interview in exactly the same manner as you would if it were for another company.


Quote:
I also don't want my other coworkers to know that I am interviewing for it, I did tell a few that I applied, but I don't really want to go around broadcasting it until I actually get the job. If I show up in a suit they will definately think something is up.
But if you are after a management role then you should have the ability to "man-up" now and brave the comments of your colleagues.


Quote:
I'm really not sure what to expect from this meeting, I suspect that my supervisor will just give me some indication whether or not she is seriously considering me for this job and maybe ask me a few questions. She knows everything about my work already. I worry that this is some sort of "pity interview" that I am not really a canidate, that she is just meeting with me so she can let me down gently. I hope that isn't the case.
I can promise you that as a manager, I have never done a "pity interview". Interviewing is, in my opinion, tougher than being interviewed and I would never interview anybody who I did not think was a genuine potential candidate. Plus if you going into the interview with such a negative attitude, then you have as good as talked yourself out of the job before the interview even starts.



Quote:
It's not a panel interview, just my immediate supervisor, but if she does ask me technical questions I will answer as if she doesn't already know what I'm going to say.
It's not just the technical stuff. One of the worst things internal candidates will do is not go into sufficient detail about their experience because they assume the interviewer already knows that. Or if asked to talk about themselves, will be overly informal. If you don't tell them xyz which they rate as critical then they can't really take account of what they know of you outside the interview when comparing to other candidates otherwise the interview process is not fair to all.
anne1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 4:08 PM   #28
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western PA
Posts: 7,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by anne1707 View Post
I disagree. I think it is in fact entirely appropriate that you wear a suit. You should be approaching this interview in exactly the same manner as you would if it were for another company.
Maybe I could wear a suit and take the jacket off for my actual shift and just wear pants and a button down shirt. That may work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne1707 View Post
But if you are after a management role then you should have the ability to "man-up" now and brave the comments of your colleagues.
Good point! This is very true.


Quote:
Originally Posted by anne1707 View Post
I can promise you that as a manager, I have never done a "pity interview". Interviewing is, in my opinion, tougher than being interviewed and I would never interview anybody who I did not think was a genuine potential candidate. Plus if you going into the interview with such a negative attitude, then you have as good as talked yourself out of the job before the interview even starts.
I certainly don't want to have a negitive attitude going into the interview. But just knowing how conflict adverse my supervisor is, it was a concern of mine. She told me I was a potential candidate when I told her I was going to apply, so I will take her word for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne1707 View Post
It's not just the technical stuff. One of the worst things internal candidates will do is not go into sufficient detail about their experience because they assume the interviewer already knows that. Or if asked to talk about themselves, will be overly informal. If you don't tell them xyz which they rate as critical then they can't really take account of what they know of you outside the interview when comparing to other candidates otherwise the interview process is not fair to all.
Thanks for the tips! I have never had an internal interview before, so I'm not sure how to act or what to expect out of it. She will probably ask me how I will handle certain situations, so I plan on going into detail about my management philosophies, just as I would if I were interviewing with someone I didn't know.

What questions do you think she will ask me Anne?
Lauriebell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 4:19 PM   #29
Established Member
 
anne1707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,512
I would think there will be some focus on how you will deal with staffing situations - performance issues, conflict between colleagues, your management style. Also what you see as the most important aspects of the role and the key challenges to you in being successful in the role if offered the post. You don't have to be perfect - recognise and promote your strengths.

But also recognise your weaknesses but try and put a positive spin on these - how you deal with them, how you have developed and worked on yourself in overcoming weaknesses. But don't go on too long about them!
anne1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 6:35 PM   #30
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 26,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriebell82 View Post
I am trying not to expect it. I guess because I have excelled at my position and have worked so hard, it's more that I feel I DESERVE it.
Well, thing is, just because you have done well in your current position does not necessarily mean you "DESERVE" the promotion to a management position. The question for your hiring supervisor isn't whether you deserve an A+ or a gold star or even a raise for your previous work, but whether you are qualified for a different, future management position.

Anne gave you some very good insight about how to demonstrate that you're qualified to enter management:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne1707 View Post
I would think there will be some focus on how you will deal with staffing situations - performance issues, conflict between colleagues, your management style. Also what you see as the most important aspects of the role and the key challenges to you in being successful in the role if offered the post. You don't have to be perfect - recognise and promote your strengths.

But also recognise your weaknesses but try and put a positive spin on these - how you deal with them, how you have developed and worked on yourself in overcoming weaknesses. But don't go on too long about them!
Star Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Applying Logic to Something so Illogical Crestfallen_KH Infidelity 13 12th December 2007 4:28 AM
Applying For Training - Need Your Input Guys! NightsInWhiteSatin Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being 2 9th July 2006 12:19 PM
would applying NC with the person you are dating ever help? grace2005 Dating 3 1st December 2005 9:36 AM
Applying for Jobs SixthSt.Girl Business and Professional Relationships 10 7th April 2005 4:55 PM
B/f's applying for work in Iraq Stone Long-Distance Relationships 8 13th December 2004 3:26 PM

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 8:39 AM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2013 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.