LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

I am applying for a management position...

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th January 2011, 7:34 PM   #1
Established Member

I am applying for a management position...

I'm very nervous about this. A clinical manager position was JUST created in my unit, and I am going to apply for it. I spoke with my supervisor about it, and she said that I would be a canidate and I meet the criteria and experience..but just barely (she didn't say the "just barely" part). It's possible someone with more experience could apply and beat me out though. Any thoughts on this?
Lauriebell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 7:44 PM   #2
Established Member

Go for it. You might just get it.

No point in worrying whether other candidates might or might not pop up.

Best of luck
january2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 9:10 PM   #3
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by january2011 View Post
Go for it. You might just get it.

No point in worrying whether other candidates might or might not pop up.

Best of luck
Thanks! I had already told my supervisor that I want to get into management, and I want to get my foot in the door here. I think the only thing that may happen would be people in my department getting upset that I got promoted, however none of them (therapists) would be interested in the job. Should I tell her that I understand if they want to hire someone with more experience or supervisory experience? I feel like that would make me look like I'm not real serious in wanting it though...
Old 17th January 2011, 9:31 PM   #4

Does the management job still allow you to see your own patients and help people directly (i.e., doing what you really want to do), or are you just applying because it's better hours and more money?

I ask because I've been eligible for a supervisory/chief position in my department, but I don't want it, because it would be more administrative/bureaucratic than actually practicing law, so I don't want it...for now, anyway.

If the job is what you want, I say go for it. But given how green you really are in the grand scheme of things, it's definitely possible (and quite probable) that someone with more experience will get the position instead. But even if that happens, the fact you applied and went for it shows your company that you're interested in advancement, and really want that kind of job. When it opens again, apply again. And again. Until you're the most qualified candidate, and have proven to them how badly you want the position.

Attitude and drive are just as important as qualifications to many employers. So go for it!!
Star Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 9:40 PM   #5
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriebell82 View Post
I think the only thing that may happen would be people in my department getting upset that I got promoted, however none of them (therapists) would be interested in the job. Should I tell her that I understand if they want to hire someone with more experience or supervisory experience? I feel like that would make me look like I'm not real serious in wanting it though...
Again, I don't think that you should be concerned about whether or not others in your department will get upset. If they wanted the job, they should have applied for it. If they didn't, then they missed the boat.

And no, I don't advise telling your employers what you suggested. That would be self-sabotage and yes, it wouldn't reflect well on you.

Let your employers make their own decision about who is right for the job. And as Star suggested, if you don't get it. Keep applying until you do.

If you want it, go and get it. No point in talking yourself out of it before a decision's even been made.

Last edited by january2011; 17th January 2011 at 9:42 PM..
january2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 12:41 PM   #6
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Gazer View Post
Does the management job still allow you to see your own patients and help people directly (i.e., doing what you really want to do), or are you just applying because it's better hours and more money?

I ask because I've been eligible for a supervisory/chief position in my department, but I don't want it, because it would be more administrative/bureaucratic than actually practicing law, so I don't want it...for now, anyway.

If the job is what you want, I say go for it. But given how green you really are in the grand scheme of things, it's definitely possible (and quite probable) that someone with more experience will get the position instead. But even if that happens, the fact you applied and went for it shows your company that you're interested in advancement, and really want that kind of job. When it opens again, apply again. And again. Until you're the most qualified candidate, and have proven to them how badly you want the position.

Attitude and drive are just as important as qualifications to many employers. So go for it!!
More money/better hours is definately a bonus, but I really do want to get into a management/supervision role. My ultimate career goal is to be a director of an agency one day, so this will get my foot in the door. I will still get to do direct care with patients, but won't have a caseload or anything. It's true I may not get it because there are certainly canidates with more experience, but I want to at least try. Like you said, it shows them I'm interested in advancement.
Old 18th January 2011, 8:23 PM   #7
Established Member

Have you decided to apply? I think you should.
0hpenelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 7:45 AM   #8
Established Member

Hi LB - long time and good luck

here's my 2 cent = don't be so hesitant and doubtful, this does not make you seem more suitable for the job....

Anyway - among all those who qualify on skills - the selection is purely on character, and often character would take priority over skills...

After all - skills you can learn - your character is not likely to change...
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 3:42 PM   #9
Established Member

I did apply for the job, my supervisor said she would be "talking with me" so we shall see what happens! I really hope she does consider me for the job!
Old 20th January 2011, 7:45 PM   #10
Established Member

So I'm not very encouraged that my supervisor is going to consider me for this position. She has not said one word to me about it yet, and they put the positon on the website. I guess I'm not their first choice for the job.
Old 21st January 2011, 1:43 AM   #11
Established Member

LB, don't stress. When your manager speaks with you be confident and explain your skills and goals. Show them that you're valuable and that you want to grow within the organization.

If you don't get the job that's ok. At least you will show management that you are driven and interested in working up in the company which is a great thing to demonstrate.
Old 21st January 2011, 6:27 AM   #12
Established Member

Good luck, I hope it works out
denise_xo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 10:56 AM   #13

no need to jump to conclusions yet. You will only know when the position is filled. It's ok if you don't get it, it's only bad if you didn't try out of fear and you're past that stage already.
I am healed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 1:59 PM   #14
Established Member

Thank you everyone. I'm just so bored with my current job that I really want to take on new responsibilities and challenges. My only hope at this point (if I don't get the manager job) to get a higher paying/more responsibility job, is if my one coworker doesn't come back after her maternity leave ends in a few weeks.
Old 21st January 2011, 2:24 PM   #15
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriebell82 View Post
and they put the positon on the website. I guess I'm not their first choice for the job.
many, if not most, companies will advertise for a position externally unless it is specified that they only want an internal hire.
It means nothing more than the company is reaching out to hire tha best candidate for the job.

start practicing your interview skills now though.