complained today at work, for not getting breaks lately

Today,I did the hardest thing,well not hard for some people but for me it felt hard.Ok what I'm trying to say,I sticked up for myself at work cause I'm sick and tired of people taken advantage of me.I havent gotten breaks lately at work.So today I asked my boss if there was a reason why Im not getting my breaks.And he told me I would have to remind the managers.Which I think is crazy cause they can remember to send everyone else on thier break except for me.They use this excuse saying they"forget".They dont forget,they just arent trying hard enough to remember to send me on break cause they really dont care if I get one or not.I dont buy that "forget crap" at all.My boss snapped at me and afterwards I felt awful for saying something about it.Thats my weakness,is I get afraid to stick up for myself at work.But when I do,people get mad thats why I fear sticking up for myself.Its against the law whether they like it or not.I just recently found out which was today at my work,that you have to work 5 hours in order to get a break.And those are the hours I work is 5 hours and not getting my breaks.So I complained today.Yesterday when I wanted one the manager was like"you can stay and finish your work."And I really needed a break.Yea,I was really pissed.Now I felt like I did the wrong thing,cause as soon as I told my boss about it he got real snappy.

Patty

It is good to hear that you stepped up to the boss today. That is good to hear. You don't need that crap. Anyways, if you only work 5 hours, I am pretty sure that you won't get a break. I believe if you work 6 hours you get a 15 minute break and if you work after that you would get a full half hour. I work in food service temporarily and there are some days if I work like 5 hours that I really don;t get a break. Then when I do get a break it is on the days when I work 6 or more hours. Unless we are really busy. But if I were you I would just bring up this issue with your manager again and mention that you don';t understand why everyone else can have a break and that you can't.

I do give you alot of credit for sticking up for yourself and being alittle forward when you want something. Apparently that is how you have to be to get anywhere in life. You have to be very forward and direct. But I really think that if you only work a 5 hour shift, then you don't get a break. But I am not sure about that one. Just stand your gaurd and don't let people **** all over you. You made the right step to questioning your boss, so if that happens again or even before it happens, talk to your coworkers, boss whoever to get it straight as far as how many hours you have to work to get a break. WEll, hope this helps. ----SARAH

Hi Patty,

Good for you for sticking up for yourself. It might be hard but it's the right thing to do.

I suggest that you speak to your manager at the beginning of each shift. If you're working, for example, from 1:00 to 6:00, say to your manager at 1:00, "when do you think you would like me to take my break today?" If your manager doesn't give you an answer, says he's not going to know for a few hours, it depends, etc., tell him, "OK, but if I haven't heard from you by 3:30 as to when I should take my break, I will take my break then. I'll be sure to let you know before I go on break. But if you want me to wait until after 3:30 you'll need to give me a specific break time before then. If I haven't heard from you by 3:30, 3:30 will be my break time." That way you're showing that you're willing to be flexible, but you're not going to tolerate the manager not taking responsibility for scheduling breaks for his workers -- which is part of his job.

Good luck!

Congratulations PATTY for telling your boss just exactly "how it is & how it should not be."

I thought, but I guess I'm wrong in this case.. that everyone is supposed to take a break.. It's like in the official handbooks of whatever business,etc. you're working at. I mean, yeah there are those exceptions to the rule.. ie: it's very busy, short-staffed, etc. But, not being able to take a break less than often, is ENTIRELY NOT RIGHT..

I've got your back.. If he/she doesn't want to listen to you, in the future.. I'll have to go their myself.. And make reason with them. ;)

• Author

Thanks everyone.My boss snapped at me today telling me when to go on break.I think he's mad cause he thought I wasnt going to say anything.I dont take crap from people there.When I saw them starting to take advantage of me,thats when I put my foot down.But I feel better,knowing I sticked up for myself.Even though my boss may be mad.

Patty