To submit a grievance or not?

Hello all~

I am in a situation where my work environment has become increasingly intolerable. The company is short staffed, responsibilities are not balanced at all, i have a supervisor who talks to employees disrespectfully;when people speak up for themselves she carries a grudge...right now, i'm the subject of one of those grudges. She's had issues with another employee who filed some sort of a complaint against her as well. I'm about to submit my resignation letter though...

My question is, should I even bother submitting a grievance since I'm about to quit?

HELP

My question is, should I even bother submitting a grievance since I'm about to quit?

Did you already find a new job? You will need a reference from these people if you haven't...

Regardless, I would not try to submit a grievance if you are going to quit. Leave on good terms, if you ever need a reference or recommendation you will have one.

• Author

True...thanks!

I don't plan on using this employer as a reference though since I haven't been here too long and since they have a history of these type of issues...

I'm in the midst of getting another job that's not related to this current job field. Hopefully I'll get it sooner than later. This current job is breaking my spirit and the person who interviewed me told me nothing about many of my current totally unrelated job tasks that I've been required to do. I have been compliant in doing them, but with lots of regret...

• Author

...so I've decided against submitting the grievance letter since I'll be resigning sooner than later. It's definitely tempting to submit the G. letter though,to reaffirm some of the issues that other former employees have gone through. The turnover rate at this company is so high that I'm not sure how they are still operating...

True...thanks!

I don't plan on using this employer as a reference though since I haven't been here too long and since they have a history of these type of issues...

I'm in the midst of getting another job that's not related to this current job field. Hopefully I'll get it sooner than later. This current job is breaking my spirit and the person who interviewed me told me nothing about many of my current totally unrelated job tasks that I've been required to do. I have been compliant in doing them, but with lots of regret...

You are quitting before finding another job? I would advise against that. It is much harder to find a job when you don't already have one. What if job you interviewed for falls through? And why would you not use them as a reference? Then you will have a gap in your resume and will end up having to lie about your job history..not a good idea. Is your current job going to give you a bad reference? Is there more to this story then you are letting on? Are you in danger of being fired from your current job?

If you are trying to get a job in another field, then that is the perfect excuse to give the interviewer for leaving a job after a short while. Trust me, the interviewer would rather hear that you currently have a job and want to leave then you either a) quit your job before finding another, or b) you have been unemployed for a period of time and can't find a job. The longer you are unemployed, the harder it is to find a job, BELIEVE me. I have been there.

Edited by Lauriebell82