Do you have any job pet peeves that you'd like to share? I'm curious as to what others must go through at work. Some of the things I've been through include: (1)working for a boss that dictates sitting next to you which wouldn't be so bad but he chain smoked at the same time, (2) working for an attorney that you have to call in the morning to see if he's coming to his appointments, (3) having to meet with clients b/c my boss ran out of gas (happened twice just in one month), (4) working late for someone who had to leave early b/c it was her dog's birthday, (5) I've had to run to get cigarettes for my boss while he was meeting with client and (6) taking my boss to get his car fixed (he drives a Jag) and not getting paid for mileage on my car.

People who are working for me who, despite my asking "Is everything going okay? Need any help or guidance? You'll be done by X time?" questions, do not tell me that they have no idea how to proceed with their work until an hour before the deadline. Then I get stuck working late and holding their hand through the process, and come to realize that they had NO idea from the beginning what was going on.

Ask questions, people! God did not put me on this earth to hold your hand, although I am happy to help and explain anything and everything if you so ask.

Well, it starts once I arrive @ work, and is continued until thee end of my shift(s)... and that is:: Can I go home yet, or What time is it.. (( that's it)) --- hrs. to go..

Hey, all of us some time or day experience the same type of dialogue. Especially around my neighborhood of that:: "Is it Friday, yet", and it's only Monday.. (lol).

non traditional students that think they need to do their homework at WORK because they don't have time at home to do it....meaning the items that you should be taking care of during your 40+ hour work week get put on hold indefinatly or pushed onto other employees who are already doing their job plus yours. Joy of joys....btw...is it Friday yet :)

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by NEONINK

1) People who clip their fingernails at work!

Hey, I've done that! But only in the privacy of my own cubicle, and directly into the waste can. Anything wrong with that?

Originally posted by zman

Hey, I've done that! But only in the privacy of my own cubicle, and directly into the waste can. Anything wrong with that?

But WHY? Can't you do it at home?

Originally posted by cindy0039

But WHY? Can't you do it at home?

Can't you brush your hair and put your makeup on at home, without having to continually touch it up all day long?? What about the classic image of the secretary painting her fingernails at work?

Seriously though, we live over 8 hours a day, more like 10 hours a day at work each day. Add in commute time and we've only got a few hours available to do things besides eat and sleep. It shouldn't be a surprise that people try to squeeze in a few things that could be done at home at work instead.

My fingernails grow fast, and sometimes I don't notice it until I'm at work.

Right now I'm unemployed, so here's my job search pet peeves:

1) Employers who don't get back to you to tell you one way or the other whether they want to hire you or not!

Are they really going to base their hiring decision based upon who bugs them, calling back constantly to see what the status of my application is??

I can understand not replying to every person who sends in a resume, although I still think that's classless. But I went in for a three hour interview with four people with this company, sent them all individual thank you notes, and still haven't hear a peep out of them over 5 weeks later.

2) And what's up with these questionaires some companies and government agencies make you answer when you apply for a job?? Then they only send on the people who scored the best, the top 3 or 4 people who scored best on the test. Obviously the tests tend to weed out people who are modest in describing their accomplishments and tell the truth, while giving a big advantage to those who exaggerate how great they are and stretch the truth or even lie. Anything to make the cut to the interview stage.

3) And another one - job postings that basically require you to have several years experience doing that exact job in order to be qualified. No credit for transferrable skills in another job. They only way you could be qualified is if you worked in that exact organization, company or agency doing that exact job.

Originally posted by zman

Can't you brush your hair and put your makeup on at home, without having to continually touch it up all day long?? What about the classic image of the secretary painting her fingernails at work?

I totally agree with you here. And when I DID work in an office, I most certainly would put on my makeup and fix my hair at home and the only touching up might be to reapply lipstick, which I did in the ladies room. Someone painting her nails at work is totally unacceptable in my book.

Since I'm retired from my profession and now keep other peoples children because I just love kids and for a little extra spending money, I guess my only work pet peeves would be parents who don't seem to spend enough time with their kids. So many people in their 20's and 30's put so much importance on careers and obtaining material possessions that they lose sight of the fact that their children will grow up so fast and they will regret the fact that they didn't spend more time with them.

My boss finds that her and I are somewhat close friends. Sure I went out with her once with a group of her friends, but she thinks that since I am around her age and that I have gone out with her once that she wants to make it an every weekend event or whenever she wants to go out. But, she is very annoying and half the time I can't stand her.

lately it's been the lady that pushes Mary Kay products to the ENTIRE department. We're all sick and tired of it, but she's in a higher position than we are. Hopefully some corporate compliance code of ethic's classes we have to take this month will take care fo it.

Yeah, we have an Avon lady and a Longerberger lady who are always pushing their stuff (and the Longeberger stuff is NOT cheap) and take it personally if you do not buy. And then there are the ones selling their school kids' wrapping paper and candles and Girl Scout cookies......

HAHAHA... I knew a few people would admit to it. Those clipping nails just seem to echo throughout the building. Especially my boss who must have 1/2" nails.

When they start whipping their socks off and clipping their toenails, that's when I will have to stand up and say ENOUGH!

arggg....

Originally posted by NEONINK

When they start whipping their socks off and clipping their toenails, that's when I will have to stand up and say ENOUGH!

Hey, I've done that!!

No, just kidding!

:D

Oooh, and the guy that ALWAYS picks at my food that I bring back from the not so yummy cafe. He touches it, eats an onion ring...takes my FORK and takes a bite out of my crab salad. I'm like HELLO! (I usually go get my food and help answer phones while the rest of the people in the office go to lunch meetings or the normal business lunch routine). But ya, I'm not dating you, you are not from my loins....get your grubby, slimy, who the hell knows where your saliva has been out of my food. Ugh! Then if I should mention, goes to McDonalds and gets his own lunch.....ugh!