When you're over qualified, cover letters speak louder than resumes?

A friend of mine who only has his bachelors of science is currently a research clinician in a major metro area and has been for the last 2-3 years or so. We we chums in undergrad, but not best of friends.

I asked him if I could use him as a reference and he gladly obliged, telling him I would pay it back in the future.

He did let me know that my MS in science & certifications were deeming me over qualified for many positions that a BS in Science + training / experience could do for less money or underqualified for what a PhD would be wanted for...

I fall in that gray area of science and it sucks.

Another friend of mine is speaking with her boss today to get my foot in the door as a per diem or part timer to make a buck... but ultimately it's not what I wish to do.

This blows.

Anyone know any good sources to help me build a solid cover letter?

I have a medical doctor from Johns Hopkins Med helping me with whom I'm close... my adviser from grad school, and my mother's best friend who is an endocrinologist at a local hospital... my field is in physiology/endocrin function.. and I know I've made a post about it before (see 8-10 threads down lol)

but now I'm looking for cover letter resources... lol

I am going to ask the three individuals I mentioned above, but I'm asking so much of them already... I feel guilty. And each have a lot going on in their lives too....

thanks in advance!

I write pretty good cover letters (suck at interviews, though...), and I could give you some general tips - but I've never explicitly used strategies for dealing with being over qualified and I'm not sure how you would approach that (beyond the obvious of trying to show that you're not just going to be out the door once you get something that better matches your qualifications). At the end of the day, identifying that match is a key aspect of recruiting.