Would you be willing to do this?

Lauriebell82

If you were offered a job with better hours and more/harder responsibilities, BUT had to stay at your current payscale, would you agree to it?

If I could put in a proviso for a salary review in 6 months, I think it might be worth considering.

if there's a payfreeze, try to negotiate a different deal.

The deals you outline at the moment "cancel each other out".

• Author
Lauriebell82
If I could put in a proviso for a salary review in 6 months, I think it might be worth considering.

if there's a payfreeze, try to negotiate a different deal.

The deals you outline at the moment "cancel each other out".

I like the idea of a salary review. Right now I am a non-exempt employee with a low hourly rate, the job that I may get offered is an exempt salaried job that pays about $10,000 per year more then I make now, and it is going to be daytime hours (I currently work second shift). I'm most likely not going to get changed to actual position however, just given the responsibilities of that position. It's possible I may get stuck doing that position for the same pay for good.

And my company is not currently on a payfreeze, thank goodness.

If you were offered a job with better hours and more/harder responsibilities, BUT had to stay at your current payscale, would you agree to it?

Absolutely. Even if you cannot get your employer to agree to a raise in 6 months, you'll have stronger credentials on your resume, which will enable you to get a better paying job when you are ready to make a move.

Besides, harder responsibilities = more challenge = growth.

Definitely (and have done it too) - if it enhances career potential and offers an opportunity to do something you want to do

Definitely (and have done it too) - if it enhances career potential and offers an opportunity to do something you want to do

Ditto. I took a 40% pay cut last time I changed jobs. I've never regretted it.

Will the extra responsibilities help advance your career? If no then probably not. If yes than I would take it, but I would give a deadline(maybe silent or not) that if I wasn't given a raise to make up for the responsibility then I would quit. I'd be dubious about a promotion without a raise when there aren't layoffs or pay freezes. It would make me think the company is trying to rip me off.

Agreed. I took my dream job (with dream hours) and it included a pay cut because while they matched my salary, I'll no longer be eligible for a bonus. I miss my shopping sprees, but it was the best decision for me.

Short answer is yes.

I left a job that was way more challenging and now I'm bored. If you are bored and not challenged then it s time to move on.

Will the harder responsibilities add to job satisfaction and boost your resume, or will they mostly add stress? Sounds like you want the job but are hesitant since no pay raise happens.

• Author
Lauriebell82

Thanks for the responses everyone. I DO want the job, but I'm afraid my company will take advantage of the fact that I am willing to do a higher paying job for less money and not give me a raise (I'm talking $10,000 per year here).

Another person currently has the actual "position" that they want to move me too, however in liu of firing her, they want to cut her responsibilities (she is not capable of doing ALL of her responsibilites, only some). I'm assuming they will keep her at the same pay scale she is at now, but maybe not.

So essentially, what they want to do is have me take over her "responsibilities" but do not want to pay me what she makes. While she was on vacation for a week I did her job and excelled at it, so this is why they want me to do this. I really want to take the job, I am getting very bored at my current job, and feel like I am not challenged.

I would take it esp since it has better hours.

HAve they mentioned pay? Why are you assuming you won't get a raise?

Thanks for the responses everyone. I DO want the job, but I'm afraid my company will take advantage of the fact that I am willing to do a higher paying job for less money and not give me a raise (I'm talking $10,000 per year here).

Right now, it's hard to find companies that won't take advantage of new hires in that way. One byproduct of the recession has been that companies are squeezing every last ounce of productivity out of their employees, and they know that they call the shots until the economy picks up steam. You'll probably just have to suck it up.

The key issue in moving between jobs (emergency situations aside) is whether or not the job is moving you toward a long-term goal. It's okay to move sideways, but you don't want to move backwards, and pay isn't necessarily the variable to evaluate. You can sometimes take a job that pays less in terms of salary, but also allows you to get your hands on a variety of things and you can increase your market value as an employee by having broader experience to your name. I would be careful about taking a job just because it seems to be a little more flexible with the hours -- that's something that can always change at any time, and it frequently does. Change jobs for the right reasons.

• Author
Lauriebell82
I would take it esp since it has better hours.

HAve they mentioned pay? Why are you assuming you won't get a raise?

Well, they told me that I wouldn't be changing positions, just responsibilities. My company has two levels of counselors (Counselor 1 and Counselor II). I am a Counselor 1, but qualified to be a Counselor II. They are two different payscales. In social services salaries are not negotiable, they tell you what the salary is for the specific job and you either take it or leave it. So essentially I would get paid for being a Counselor 1, but do the Counselor II job duties. They flat out told me my position/pay scale would stay the same, until the Counselor II position is ACTUALLY created in my department..but they don't know when that will be.

• Author
Lauriebell82

So unfortunately my deal fell through. My coworkers responsibilities will not change at this time, therefore there is no need for me. :mad: I'm sort of at a crossroads of what to do...

Breathe.

Take stock, but relax.

Nothing has changed at all, you're still where you're at.

it doesn't matter.

but carry on with your job, and do the best you can with what you have.

A steady effort will pay dividends - either at this job, eventually, or at another one, if you decide to change direction, in time.....

I would take the job. Both more responsibility and better hours are a positive to me, so it's a no brainer.

I'm a naive tard and just assume that if I consistently take on jobs that have more responsibility that my pay will follow eventually.