My biggest fear is being stuck in a job I hate for the rest of my life. To me being happy is a lot more important than money.

I am 19 and have a tough decisions to be made. Should I go university this year and do a degree in either Marketing, Music or Business Studies. My worry is that I will not be motivated to do the work, I feel as if my education days are over. These days everyone gets degree's.. is work experience more important now?

I currently work in a customer service job and been there for past year and a half, I cant stand it, it's so monotonous it makes me really depressed. I need a job where it challenges you.

I recently started seriously considering joining the fire service, problem being competition is so high and there's not many vacancies. I could be stuck in my job I hate for another few years in till I eventually get a job in the fire service.

I want to be great and successful but I am scared of choosing the 'wrong' choice therefore I keep stalling and don't do anything about the situation.

People always tell me that I will be fine as I am a good worker and bright, but I can't help but think I have slipped off my path the past year or two.

Have any of the people hear felt they made wrong career choices and what was the consequences, are you unhappy?

I'm not totally happy but I am a LOT BETTER OFF that what I would of been otherwise.

Now, I didn't get my Higher School Certificate equivalent until I was 25 years old (failed year 10 in 1986). Completed the above qual in 1995. Did my first year of a Bachelor of Arts in 1996. Completed a full Exercise Science degree in 1997 to 1999. Completed my Grad Dip Ed in 2000 at the age of 30 years old.

19 years of age is NOT TOO LATE. Procrastination is a killer buddy, I've had friends procrastinate and they are now in their 40s and unemployed, or living off government handouts and being pushed around by the government to accept any **** job and so on. What a **** life. That's where I was headed. I now work in the Public Service and though I'm struggling to get promotions like others a lot younger than me, I'm fighting on to progress with what I have because I was going down a very bad path for many many years.

Now, you have plenty of time to consider while you are young. Yes work experience is more important but you have time to research what is in demand and you can, if you choose to, study at university toward a degree where there will be a job at the end of it. Don't just go for what seems popular or cool, look for something where there are good job prospects.

Along the way, you can continue trying out for the fire service. I don't know what country you are in, but if it is anything like Australia, if you get in the fire service, you are in a job set for life, one that you can work on the side for good money while pursuing other life goals or one that you can work full time. I tried for the fire service but missed out, was disappointing because I needed to get a job off the ground asap. I did almost get into the defense force though. Anyway, point being, look at your options and research the prospects.

My biggest fear is being stuck in a job I hate for the rest of my life. To me being happy is a lot more important than money.

I am 19 and have a tough decisions to be made. Should I go university this year and do a degree in either Marketing, Music or Business Studies. My worry is that I will not be motivated to do the work, I feel as if my education days are over. These days everyone gets degree's.. is work experience more important now?

I currently work in a customer service job and been there for past year and a half, I cant stand it, it's so monotonous it makes me really depressed. I need a job where it challenges you.

I recently started seriously considering joining the fire service, problem being competition is so high and there's not many vacancies. I could be stuck in my job I hate for another few years in till I eventually get a job in the fire service.

I want to be great and successful but I am scared of choosing the 'wrong' choice therefore I keep stalling and don't do anything about the situation.

People always tell me that I will be fine as I am a good worker and bright, but I can't help but think I have slipped off my path the past year or two.

Have any of the people hear felt they made wrong career choices and what was the

consequences, are you unhappy?

You will be stuck if you allow yourself to be stuck

Everyone has been through these ropes, unless you're just extremely lucky like my friends.

I understand your worries, I myself have gotten off track and when that usually happens it makes you procastinate and second-guess yourself, ALOT!

If your concern lies with your happiness you have to do what will reap the most in benefits for your sanity. You will always have the majority of people tell you that you should be aiming for wealth because money solves everything. WRONG. It cannot buy you a lifetime of happiness if you simply do not like your career! Simple as that.

My family and some of my close friends think I am absolutely crazy for wanting to major in history and not go into a more better suited 'money-maker' field of study/work. Hey, I'm following my passion, my love for history and I might not have my whole life planned out but I like that, live with some mystery, it keeps the mind happy and the goal ever clearer. If you have a dream career like I do and it fills you up with excitement and just an urge to suceed than aim for it! Living your life honestly goes by one rule and that is to live it with passion.

So let's summarize: If there is no passion for what you're studying or working in then you're going to live with more regrets than anything else. Your career should be a reflection of your personality, it needs to suit you and bring out your best qualities.

And if you really are at a loss for what to do than it's okay, don't panic and just breathe. If you don't succeed in one thing that doesn't mean it's the end, people go by getting a degree in one thing and end up doing something completely different and finding that it suits them better! It happens so often! Whatever process you choose to get to your goal it should be what's most comfortable and at the same time positively challenging you for the benefit of your future.

Edited by Viva
  • Author

I enjoy music but that doesn't really pay great unless you make it big and I don't want to teach.

I would like to run my own company but I am not sure in what.

The fire service interests me but cuts are being made in that department

A job in marketing would be interesting, but Id have to go to University for that and I am not sure I have enough motivation for education left.

It's hard to find the balance between happiness + money. I remember when I was 15 I convinced myself that I would be in a job in computers and make loads of money because I was good at it. Then when it came to the crunch and I was 18 and applied for university studying computers I backed out because I had images of me being unhappy.

Because I always take so long to make decisions I never do and then I miss opportunities.

I wish I knew what I wanted to do since I was little... life would be so much easier.

Work experience is most important, but education is required for certain jobs.

Life is a journey, not the destination. It’s completely realistic to work or do something for many years only to completely change your mind, and start something new.