The Job Market is a bust

I am a recent graduate with a Masters, am not pursuing my PhD. I am in a Kinesiology field with 3 years + of clinical and applied research experience working with a population at risk for Type 2 Diabetes.

I am a certified personal trainer as well by a nationally/internationally recognized organization... (ACSM)

I am in good standing, I believe and do not wish to pursue the PhD track any longer. I am open to research, but not the bureaucratic bull**** that goes into a dissertation. Med school is an option, but I do not believe I'm ready for that...

I have a resume and a CV... applying, but I feel like what I can apply for is limited?

Any ideas/suggestions? thanks

i know what you mean. im way underemployed and i know so many people in the same situation.

what are you doing to look for jobs? have you had anyone else look at your resume lately?

• Author
i know what you mean. im way underemployed and i know so many people in the same situation.

what are you doing to look for jobs? have you had anyone else look at your resume lately?

Thanks for the response.

I've had my peers look @ my CV and Resume... and my father who is a psychologist.

I've spoken with my adviser and another faculty member i've worked with in the past for recommendations and they're both willing. I do not believe I can ask them directly to 'hook me up'. It would be nice. My adviser has my resume at current and my uncle is the head oncologist at a prestigious university medical center on the east coast... so as of last night he's been looking @ my CV & resume.

Another friend of mine who is currently a clincial researcher said I may use him as a reference too, which is nice.

It's just... 've been told I'm either not qualified for a position b/c I'm in a different field of research... not enough experience... or I'm over qualified b/c I have an MS and they want a BS w/ a few years of experience...

ugh

• Author
Get a degree in a real discipline.

Brilliant.

Psychology? LOL

english? ROFL

Communications? pfft

Philosophy? errrr no

Do you even know what Kinesiology is?

Well if it's any help you have now identified the problems:

- Some positions are in a different field

- You do not have enough experience for others

- You are over qualified for the rest

I am also looking for my next place of employment and these are also the same issues I'm up against. These are likely the big 3 reasons we don't get hired, right?

From your post I recognize that each of these audiences are going to take a different type of marketing. Further, I know I have to work on speaking to the needs of each employer individually.

I've been sending out generalized resumes to big companies for two weeks. But I'm going to slow down my pace and aim to have my resume sing, "HERE'S what I can do for YOU!"

Good luck to you in your search!

• Author
Well if it's any help you have now identified the problems:

- Some positions are in a different field

- You do not have enough experience for others

- You are over qualified for the rest

I am also looking for my next place of employment and these are also the same issues I'm up against. These are likely the big 3 reasons we don't get hired, right?

From your post I recognize that each of these audiences are going to take a different type of marketing. Further, I know I have to work on speaking to the needs of each employer individually.

I've been sending out generalized resumes to big companies for two weeks. But I'm going to slow down my pace and aim to have my resume sing, "HERE'S what I can do for YOU!"

Good luck to you in your search!

you too!!!

• Author
What was your goal when you decided to go for your Masters? Specifically, what job did you envision yourself with?

Eventually, a PhD... but I didn't realize halfway through my masters I am NOT a researcher. I am a clinician. I enjoy working with people... but I enjoy the science more.

a PhD entails a lot of paperwork and pencil pushing.. which I know is given for ANY profession, but much more so in dissertation work... I want to be an exercise clinician making 50-70k/year...

and eventually a medical doctor in the diabetes/cardiac field...

What was your goal when you decided to go for your Masters? Specifically, what job did you envision yourself with?

So that's a lot nicer way of saying the same thing I said. Well done.

Hey, thank you for answering me. It sounds like a fascinating field. And also completely understandable that during the course of your study and work on your masters - you found that you are more of a hands on people person. So - at least you know that, instead of doggedly moving forward in a direction that ultimately will not bring you passion and success.

It does seem to me however (not that I KNOW) ...that the more hands on a position in health care is (other than MD) the less a person makes. Still, the income you are targeting seems reasonable.

Is pursuing the MD just not in your sights anymore? If so, is there anyway to combine what you already have with something in the physical therapy , occupational, etc...you know more about this than I do, but you get drift.

The reason I bring it up is because many fields are looking for candidates who can multi - task in this way. Combine if you will. Its not a bad idea and is a good way to justify and market being under/over qualified.

So that's a lot nicer way of saying the same thing I said. Well done.

It isnt about being nicer. The OP's questions, motives, and position are valid.

It isnt about being nicer. The OP's questions, motives, and position are valid.

He needs to have an end game in mind, people go to school for bull**** degrees and then at the end wonder why they can't get a six figure job. I have very little sympathy for it. He's blown a assload of money and just now figured out that he doesn't want to be a "paper pusher".

While I can see where it's an issue for him, I have to wonder why he spent so much time and is just figuring it out now. He says he wants to be 'eventually' an MD. Well, that's a really good plan, but I don't think he's going to do it.

Eventually is a tip off.

It sounds like he wants to do PT and hang out at the gym while being paid $60K a year.

Well sure, who wouldn't?

• Author
Hey, thank you for answering me. It sounds like a fascinating field. And also completely understandable that during the course of your study and work on your masters - you found that you are more of a hands on people person. So - at least you know that, instead of doggedly moving forward in a direction that ultimately will not bring you passion and success.

It does seem to me however (not that I KNOW) ...that the more hands on a position in health care is (other than MD) the less a person makes. Still, the income you are targeting seems reasonable.

Is pursuing the MD just not in your sights anymore? If so, is there anyway to combine what you already have with something in the physical therapy , occupational, etc...you know more about this than I do, but you get drift.

The reason I bring it up is because many fields are looking for candidates who can multi - task in this way. Combine if you will. Its not a bad idea and is a good way to justify and market being under/over qualified.

You're right and although more schooling is an option... it's not a track I can afford any longer... I need to take a class for an Md still (Organic Chem)

...or a class for Phys therapy (which I don't remember what it was at the moment)

and every school is different.

I did well on the GRE's, but I'd want to take again...

I need to study/take the MCATs...

My adviser and I spoke about my future and it seems right now, my best fit is as a clinician... I'm still maturing in the sciences and how the administrative bull**** that goes along with all of it is not my fit. And that's true.. I love to engage and work with people. I loathe personal training, but I love the clinical training... intervention work in a clinical/diseased population.

I'm editing / making revisions to my thesis document now (like, right this second LOL) ... when I e-mail it to my adviser I may inquire further to future directions I may take and connections/inidviduals I may contact.. lol

crap.

Damn this country's economic system. You'd think healthcare/allied health would have more?

Nope... why pay 60-70k to an MS w/ years of experience when you can pay a BS w/ experience half that... :(

Would have/ Should have doesnt matter. OP is asking what to do NOW. Sounds like he has recieved a great education in a field he enjoys. Looking for 50 grand to start is reasonable. Couple that with the passion he brings for his work and the experience already had...the future is within his grasp.

• Author
Would have/ Should have doesnt matter. OP is asking what to do NOW. Sounds like he has recieved a great education in a field he enjoys. Looking for 50 grand to start is reasonable. Couple that with the passion he brings for his work and the experience already had...the future is within his grasp.

Thank you for your time, insight, and consideration. :o

All true, the whiny b*tching about blaming "the job market" really set a bad note with me, I hope he finds a track that works for him.

Lol. Yeah, I mean...this is kind of a support forum.

Yeah, how about "I sort of screwed myself and I need advice"?

Blame shifting not a big sell in my house.

• Author
Yeah, how about "I sort of screwed myself and I need advice"?

Blame shifting not a big sell in my house.

how did I screw myself? I'm not asking for a 6 figure salary. I pursued something I love... in a very relevant field. Conveniently... no one is hiring someone at my level and I've been told that already. I'm over-qualified...

how did I screw myself?

By not keeping an eye on what was employable in your career track. Sounds like you have a few good options so good luck. Good advice: Don't slip into a victim mindset, you are in charge and you are the one acting on your life. Don't let yourself fall into passing blame, take blame and credit, as they come, for what you do.

Decide what you want and pursue it, is the best advice. If that means you want to be employable, keep focussed on that.

All true, the whiny b*tching about blaming "the job market" really set a bad note with me, I hope he finds a track that works for him.

the job market DOES suck right now, and i think its important for the OP to realize this in his career search. sure, with his qualifications and some work im sure he can get a satisfying job in his field. but the fact is that he's going to have to try a lot harder and be a lot more flexible than he otherwise might have to be in a better economy. he's looking for advice on how to improve his search so it seems like he's on the right track.

I totally agree that the job market sucks, especially in America as I understand, and the fact that there is a lot of competition with getting a job.

I speak from personal experience when I say this, I don't have quite the qualifications you do (Exercise Science Degree and Post Grad Dip Ed in Physical Education) but nontheless, tertiary education is NOT the ticket to a good job anymore! Employers don't give a toss about what quals you have! They want real-world experience, and usually a LOT more experience than an internship or any other practicum while completing studies. You spend all that money for near nothing, because now you're in debt and you haven't even got into a decent job, and getting a job, depending on the threshold for when you are required to start repaying those debts from your salary, may mean you are in a worse position than if you didn't work at all!

Two options I put to you for consideration, since this is what I did. Try and get into education (ie a teacher). I worked casual in this industry for five years, didn't like it but helped me get a full-time job in employment services and from there to my current job which is my next suggestion. Could try getting into the public service or civil service - whatever you call it over there. Should be pretty good conditions with half-decent pay.

Sure, you shouldn't have to get a job as a waiter or some other menial role, but don't make the fatal mistake that just because you are qualified the red carpet will be rolled out to you, because it won't be, unless you KNOW SOMEONE in the industry you are seeking to break in to.

I am a recent graduate with a Masters, am not pursuing my PhD. I am in a Kinesiology field with 3 years + of clinical and applied research experience working with a population at risk for Type 2 Diabetes.

I am a certified personal trainer as well by a nationally/internationally recognized organization... (ACSM)

I am in good standing, I believe and do not wish to pursue the PhD track any longer. I am open to research, but not the bureaucratic bull**** that goes into a dissertation. Med school is an option, but I do not believe I'm ready for that...

I have a resume and a CV... applying, but I feel like what I can apply for is limited?

Any ideas/suggestions? thanks

I was just in a similar boat. Advanced degree, decided a PhD was a horrible option for many reasons, in good standing, but couldn't find a job in anything. Not even local diners/restaurants wanted me because who the f--- would hire someone with a Master's to wait tables? I tried omitting my grad school education from my application, but when they asked what I've been doing the past two years, I couldn't bring myself to lie about it, and then I had to explain why I didn't put it on the application.

It took a long time, but I finally landed something related to academia. You should consider medical school if it's something you ultimately want to end up doing, so in the meantime you can start building clinical volunteer experience (not just in research) and shadowing experience.

If there's one thing I learned through this frustrating BS in this horrible market it's that you can't afford to limit yourself. Apply to anything and everything that's remotely related to what you've learned and done. Check out clinical research coordinator positions at university hospitals, or even some lame secretary/unit clerk job to get you started. I don't know whether you'd be qualified to do hands-on clinical jobs in a healthcare setting without specific certification (like patient care technician or nurse assistant certification), so look into that. I've also had better results with seeking out specific organizations/companies to check out job openings than I have with crap like Monster and Career Builder, so ask around and look around.

Yes, you're at a disadvantage if you have a Masters because everyone wants significant experience + a BA/BS, but it's not impossible for you to get a foot in the door. It's just a long, frustrating, discouraging road. The job I landed isn't exactly glamorous or awesome, but it's challenging, and the benefits are worth it for me. I've been expecting to eat sh-t and start at the very bottom of the ladder, so getting something decent that I can mostly enjoy has been a pleasant surprise for me, despite my mother whining about how low my salary is. She comes from another planet where all people with Master's degrees automatically earn $80K+ fresh out of school. :rolleyes:

Whatever job you end up in now isn't going to be your last, so try not to get stuck on finding something that you'll absolutely love. Recent graduates entering the workforce for the first time have it very rough, so be prepared to bend over. Heh.