Christmas gift for boss?

Hi all, I'm a student working part time. Even though we had a secret Santa thing at work, my mom tells me I should still get a present for my boss. But, I think it'll kinda make me look like a suck up in front of my co workers and honestly, my boss is pretty cool with me so I don't know how he will take it. Besides, it's hard to think of something to get him.. the whole 'a mug with hot chocolate mix in it' was done at secret Santa and honestly, I don't see the point of giving him a rather inexpensive gift...

So, I want to ask the people who work full time: should I get my boss a small gift despite the whole secret Santa exchange?

Thank you!

No, there is no need to do that. The only way that may happen is if you and your team buy a joint present but that again is not expected.

If anybody should be buying presents, it's the boss.

No, don't single-out your boss as a Gift Target. Awkward!

If you want to give something to the office (and make a good impression in general), bake up some home-made treats and put 'em on the table in the breakroom with a note that says "Enjoy - Merry Christmas! --Perhaps". That has always worked well for me.

• Author

Thanks for the reassurance - I knew I was right! =P

And OpenBook, I did that and you're right, t'was a success. The treats were gone by lunchtime.

And OpenBook, I did that and you're right, t'was a success. The treats were gone by lunchtime.

Well done! And Merry Christmas! :bunny::bunny::bunny:

creighton0123

Other way around. People don't usually buy bosses any presents. It sets a bad image and in some cases can be against company policy if exceeding a certain amount.

It is perfectly acceptable, however, to buy a direct manager a parting gift should the manager be transitioning to another role/company.