Less productive people at work are promoted because they're chummy with higher ups

I was recently passed over for a promotion, even though I have gotten pats on the back and compliments about being a top producer (work in a call center taking surveys).

I have a bachelors didn't plan on sticking around anyway, but wanted the option of being a supervisor.

Coworkers that were considered aren't as good as peformers, but they are friendly with the higher ups.

I'm shy and find it hard to socialize with people up the chain of command, and feel more comfortable with coworkers.

The promotion or position was never posted, the director simply chose people he was friendly with.

I'm miserably stuck in low end jobs and my shyness makes it hard for me to move up.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

You've already got the insight. If you don't overcome your shyness and learn to chum with the big boys, you're not going to get nearly as high up in your company. It's just human nature to promote people you're closest to and friendliest with. Even government agencies which depend on test scores often find ways to promote certain individuals whose scores weren't necessarily highest. You're going to have to learn real fast that we live in a world now where who you know is as or more important than what you know...as hard as that may be to swallow.

HokeyReligions

I've always heard the "Its not what you know, its who you know" and that seems to be a standard. I've been on both sides of that fence.

Something that employers look for in new hires and promotions is not just the technical skills - but how well the personalities fit together, because building a team that like and respect each other, and who know how to communicate is just as valuable or important as visible productivity.

When I didn't mesh with a group - I've been on the top of the list when layoffs came, or stayed in my same position unti "I" did something about it. I've also meshed quite well with management and beat out others for a position that they may have been more technology-qualified for. My current position is an example of that. I am a short-term contract person who saw an opening for a full-time job. It was for technical people and they wanted someone who knows the company inside and out - I do not. However, I beat out 19 other people who have been here longer and know more about the overall company and the reason is that I got along great with management in the other department and in the short time I worked for them they gave me rave reviews! The key thing being that I participate and join in and show respect for those around me, and always ask if I can help someone when I'm not real busy. A great team player - as the catch phrase goes!

Being somewhat assertive is important - you have to go after what you want and sometimes the first step to that is having lunch with the right people and getting to know people, and letting them get to know you!

I have been having a similar problem at my workplace lately even though we have really different jobs. I think I understand what you're talking about.

Some people who I've asked for advice on here, told me that you can be the hardest worker and the most talented, but if you don't take the time to be friendly with the management, you can't count on getting a raise, getting a promotion, or going anywhere "up." Like the previous posts just said, it's natural to want to promote the people you are friendliest with and who you think you're closest with. but you have to make the effort.

You said you weren't planning on sticking around long, but want the option of becoming a supervisor. You also said you're shy and have a hard time socializing with the higher-ups. Have you thought about whether these feelings are related... If you think and act like you don't plan on sticking around, this might be adding to your hesitation on talking with them? You might be thinking you don't want to compromise your work values but schmoozing is sometimes necessary. You are going to have to play that game if you want a promotion. There's always going to be those people who take it upon themselves to do it.

Don't let your coworkers get the edge over you. The more you focus on what other people are doing, the less energy is directed toward your goal, which is the promotion. I know it sounds corny... "attitude is everything." Think positive, think like you're already there, and you'll get it! Whatever you choose to do, my best wishes.

The woman being promoted flirts A LOT with the owner and director, and coworkers have noticed it too. They think they may be having an affair.

I noticed from the beginning of the two month old company's inception how she aggressively sought his company and attention, talking it up with him, giggling, and unfortunately she is being rewarded for it.

The boss is married, and I wonder if she knows it. I kind of was attracted to him myself but avoided him because I knew he was married. This is making me think much less of him. It's his responsiblity to stop the flirtation and somehow let it be know to this woman that he's married.

I intended to not to stick around from the beginning because I'm overqualified for the position, but now it will just be sooner than later, considering how the company really is: rewarding flirtation over performance, and undercompensating workers, and changing the duties (from market surveys to sales).