Employees that "get away with murder"

Anyone work with any of these? You know the people who don't do their work, get compliants from fellow coworkers, ect, however still manage to keep their jobs. I wonder why this occurs. Understaffing? Bosses wanting to avoid drama? I don't know. Any ideas?

desertIslandCactus
Anyone work with any of these? You know the people who don't do their work, get compliants from fellow coworkers, ect, however still manage to keep their jobs. I wonder why this occurs. Understaffing? Bosses wanting to avoid drama? I don't know. Any ideas?

I know it's the story with union employees i.e. govt employees. Without being unionized, there's no reason it should be tolerated in the private sector.

I told an employee often enough to stop reading the newspaper on the job (he was cheating in other ways as well) .. Anyway hallelujah .. he decided he didn't have to listen to me, and he quit. :)

(We thought we couldn't get by without him, turned out he was making his job look hard, and was also milking it) ..

laRubiaBonita

maybe they 'know someone'; maybe they slept with someone; maybe they know dirty little secrets; maybe they are bilingual; maybe they are part of the diversified workforce....... the list could go on.

Yep...I work with one. We're a privately owned business and one employee is treated better than his peers and even management. His payplan is different from everyone else's...he can almost come and go as he pleases...he is able to get time off that nobody else is allowed...he has been caught in numerous lies...and the list goes on. He is, however, good at being the owner's "yes" man and is very adept at brownnosing. Nobody here wants to trade places with him...but his act is getting old and he is fooling nobody. His time will come though...and his fall will be mighty and very enjoyable to watch.

• Author

Yeah, not that I wish anyone to get fired, but obviously employees who are continuing to ignore warnings and displaying the same types of behavior over and over again need some type of consequence for their action. I worked with people like this at my old job and my new job. The employee just keeps displaying the same type of behavior, has gotten multiple warnigns, says she will change, ect. But doesn't. Yet nothing happens to really MAKE her want to change or give her any real incentive. Maybe eventually the company will just get sick of it and do something about it.

The mistake is to worry too much about other employees' performance. Unless it's your job as their supervisor, you really shouldn't fixate too much on their performance unless it is clearly having an impact on your work. For example, if someone is late in finishing a task that needs to be completed in order for you to perform your job, then it matters. But generally, if what they're doing doesn't interfere, leave them alone. There's a fairness meter inside everyone for sure, and I know it's hard to overlook what is perceived to be unfairness, but you can't worry about that. Focus on your performance first and foremost.

The mistake is to worry too much about other employees' performance.

Indeed, maybe they are just gifted and are way better than you. It happens.

• Author
Unless it's your job as their supervisor, you really shouldn't fixate too much on their performance unless it is clearly having an impact on your work. For example, if someone is late in finishing a task that needs to be completed in order for you to perform your job, then it matters.

Unfortunately, this is the case in most of my jobs. Therapists generally work as a team, and if someone drops the ball it effects everyone.

laRubiaBonita
Unfortunately, this is the case in most of my jobs. Therapists generally work as a team, and if someone drops the ball it effects everyone.

well if it is something specific that is happening on a regular basis you could address the problem with the person in an email.... that way it is kinda documented.

Feelin Frisky

I was the victim of double standarding many times in my younger work career. It put a lot of mileage on my nerves and my patience. I used to work in a busy wire tranfer department of a big NYC bank on Wall Street. I took on jobs that were in retrospect already beyond the humanly possible and were probably the reason they were an "opening". I stretched myself to the limits to do the whole thing myself and every time I went for another opportunity in the same department they couldn't get any one person to do what I had done--I'd see two and some times three people doing what I was led to believe was one person's job. It's like being robbed.

Truth was that business kept growing but managment didn't adjust provisions for volume. They just "reacted" when they were pushed to it by the mediocrity of average workers. Super performers like myself were very much taken for granted because as far as mangament was concerned, I gave them nothing to worry about. I'm sure this is still happening to a lot of people. But I avoid any work that doesn't create value that people can see would not exist without me. If you're a support person, you get the shi+ end of the stick because no one knows how hard you work--they just coast on your back because everything gets done.

• Author
well if it is something specific that is happening on a regular basis you could address the problem with the person in an email.... that way it is kinda documented.

Yeah, that's been done. Pretty much everyone who works in my unit is aware of the problem with her. There have been warnings that she has been given, and a visit to HR. Yet, she continues to do the behavior. Maybe they will eventually just get sick of it and give her some real consequences....

The cheating twins I have mentioned were like that. With one of them I pretty did all her work plus she tried to sabotage every project I worked on yet she suffered no consequences whatsoever.

I'm in management, so when I see employees in any dept taking advantage I get irate, because they are basically stealing from the company.

• Author

Coworker is digging herself deeper it seems. She literally set me up this week asking me to call a patient's family member and made it seem like they were supportive. Well they weren't at all. I got screamed at. Then she blamed me for everything falling apart. My supervisor saw the email and is finally starting to open her eyes. Apparently she was in a 3 hour meeting today with my supervisor but it probably will go nowhere. I guess her job has been threatened several times, but it appears they are just empty threats because she continues to violate the warnings and no action is ever taken when she does. She just continues to get "talked to."

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author

My boss is now aware of this situation. However, instead of fire her, she wants to "change her responsibilities." What the heck? She can't do the job she was hired to do so her job will just change to suit her needs? This is rediculous. I am really trying not to get in the middle of all this, but I am so confused and frustrated. My boss actually was telling me all this yesterday and asked my opinion. What am I supposed to say to that? Yikes, this is just horrid.

My boss is now aware of this situation. However, instead of fire her, she wants to "change her responsibilities." What the heck? She can't do the job she was hired to do so her job will just change to suit her needs? This is rediculous. I am really trying not to get in the middle of all this, but I am so confused and frustrated. My boss actually was telling me all this yesterday and asked my opinion. What am I supposed to say to that? Yikes, this is just horrid.

I'm her coworker. I'm not comfortable commenting on such matters, and do not want to get involved.

If the boss persists just answer noncommittally to any question. Neither a yes or a no. It really isn't your place to be taking an active role in what should or shouldn't happen, especially since you are "involved" directly in the drama. I would just stay out of it altogether (like you stated).

I may speak on my own behalf, saying I'm no longer comfortable doing followup calls for her. I wouldn't trash talk her or anything, but instead just speak from the stand point of what you are willing to do or not do (establish your boundaries, rather than talking about what she is doing wrong).

Again, to me it's so sensitive I may just stay out of it altogether.

Uy,

Lauriebell barely got a semi firm foot in her job where she was offered more responsibilities...

And she already wants to fire her coworkers for not being "effective"!

And of course she is rationalizing it as: she gets away with murder.

(:sick: in this economy and knowing how hard it was for her to even get this job)

• Author
Lauriebell82
Uy,

Lauriebell barely got a semi firm foot in her job where she was offered more responsibilities...

And she already wants to fire her coworkers for not being "effective"!

And of course she is rationalizing it as: she gets away with murder.

(:sick: in this economy and knowing how hard it was for her to even get this job)

I don't want my coworker to get fired, I want her to do her job. And because my supervisor wants to enable her, that means I have to stay in my same job and not have the chance to move up or challenge myself.

I am thankful that I have a job, that is sooo true. But it is very frustrating to watch a coworker slack off at a job that I want and would excel at. But yea, I should just suck it up and be thankful that I am doing well at my current job and that I am in the field I want.

laRubiaBonita

I am thankful that I have a job, that is sooo true.

not to pick on your ariadne.....

ugh.... i am so sick of hearing people say that.

"you should be so lucky to have a job..." OR "at least you have a job.."

just cause one has a job it doesn't negate the right one has to be unsatified

• Author
not to pick on your ariadne.....

ugh.... i am so sick of hearing people say that.

"you should be so lucky to have a job..." OR "at least you have a job.."

just cause one has a job it doesn't negate the right one has to be unsatified

Yeah, I do hear that a lot, especailly from those who are unemployed and having problems finding a job ("well you should be grateful you have a job") I was much more miserable when I was unemployed then I am in my current job, difficult coworker and all. My hope is that my supervisor will just get sick of everyone's complaints and do something about it. In the meantime I have decided to just do my job and try to work with her as best I can. Her behavior is unpredictable, especially her attitude towards me, so I basically just need to be indifferent to her. If she nice fine, if she is not nice then fine.

If anyone has worked with a difficult/abrasive/rude/slacker coworker, you know how challenging and frustrating it can make the work environment.