I don't care anymore

I'm a high school teacher - have been teaching for 2 years. My job takes up a lot of my time. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. It's ok for now. It kinda has taken over my life. I'm at that point where I just don't give a f**k. I'm skimming corners, putting my minimum into pretty much everything. I feel guilty because I'm not giving these kids my all. I'm just lost with it all. In fact most of my time I spend resisting the work I have to do (yes I procrastinate!).

I'm posting here because this just doesn't sit right with me. It's an internal battle. I know I need to leave and find something else. How do I handle it in the mean time?

• 1 month later...
dreamingoftigers

Each day just focus on the fact that each day you get through brings you one step closer to your goal of doing something new.

As well, try to take in everything about the experience so you remember it with some fondness.

I'm a high school teacher - have been teaching for 2 years. My job takes up a lot of my time. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. It's ok for now. It kinda has taken over my life. I'm at that point where I just don't give a f**k. I'm skimming corners, putting my minimum into pretty much everything. I feel guilty because I'm not giving these kids my all. I'm just lost with it all. In fact most of my time I spend resisting the work I have to do (yes I procrastinate!).

I'm posting here because this just doesn't sit right with me. It's an internal battle. I know I need to leave and find something else. How do I handle it in the mean time?

Teaching is really hard work, especially the first two years. Do you have any good colleagues that you can pool resources with and get some mutual support from?

You worked really hard to get there and now your there you don't like it? I think you need to find what you don't like about the job. The work? The hours? Maybe your not that interested in the subject your teaching? Sometimes things aren't for us, you need to stick it out in till you find something else you like. Maybe by then your opinion might have changed? who knows.

DatingForLOLs

As somebody who makes a living sitting on his arse at home, I don't envy you at all. I've always seen teaching as one of the hardest and most draining careers to pursue - but surely it must be one of the most rewarding too?

If it's no longer rewarding and you don't feel like you can give your all in the job, it might be a good idea to take a break for a year (if you can find something else to tide you over), and then see if the passion returns.

Kids are pretty good at detecting when a teacher isn't fully committed, and can make life even harder if they see it as a weakness.

Either way, good luck!

• Author

Thanks. Its getting even harder now. The frustration is turning me into a different person. A defeated, dejected person. Life is too short for this. I am seriously thinking of quitting in the summer term.

desertIslandCactus
Thanks. Its getting even harder now. The frustration is turning me into a different person. A defeated, dejected person. Life is too short for this. I am seriously thinking of quitting in the summer term.

What if you Know that you are going to leave when the semester is over - or whatever your designated time frame. Would this help you at this time?

Would it help you to know that as hard as it is .. that if you dig now - and get it over with, there is a Light. Six more months?

• Author
What if you Know that you are going to leave when the semester is over - or whatever your designated time frame. Would this help you at this time?

Would it help you to know that as hard as it is .. that if you dig now - and get it over with, there is a Light. Six more months?

Maybe. I'm just concerned about what I would go on to. There is no way I want to be at home unemployed especially at a time like this. There would be light if i had something to go on to. I also hate the person I've become.

I sound like a right miserable cow!!!:lmao:

I taught casual for five years in various High Schools around South Western Sydney, so many of the schools were ordinary . The only thing I like about it where the short hours, no commitment with casual, just turn up, babysit, go home. But there was no sick or holiday pay or anything like that. What I disliked about it most, as bad as it sounds, were the kids, and rude kids in particular. I knew this job wasn't for me and eventually got out of it. Worked in another service industry which was almost as **** and moved interstate almost 3 years ago to get a job in the public service. Perhaps this is something you can consider given your qualifications and work experience, you may have transitional skills somewhere in a public service capacity.