He's a "Yes Man"

I work in the public sector now. One of my colleagues at my new job is often referred to as a "Yes Man." For the life of me, I really don't understand what this means. Anyone care to explain and provide an example? Thanks!!

It could be that he is a follower and not a leader.. or it could be that he is someone who is easily taken advantage of.

Not all negative definitions though but it really is kind of a diss..

Here is a definition of a yes man that isn't all that negative and really more a positive spin on it..

I have always felt a salesman.. no matter the field is a yes man.. a man who believes the customer is always right.

It means he'll always agree with whoever is in power and that he's aligned himself with. Regardless of whether they are actually right or wrong. He won't stand on his own principles, if he has any. It makes him a bit of a parasite.

Yes, madam; AC's description is on the spot.

Think bellhop or conciege, yes madam we can get those tickets, yes we can...

You see "yes men" all the time in the military, government, and corporate world...so basically everywhere. In my experience, the yes man is generally one who purposely agrees with those in positions of power with no regard to his personal opinion in order to gain favor with the superior. This is often done to "climb the corporate ladder" or gain favorable ratings, job positions, or promotions.

This will elicit different responses depending on the superior. The blind ones will look highly favorably at the yes man, touting him/her as a loyal and able subordinate. However, the more experienced leaders will see him as a spineless lemming who has no potential for leadership. Therefore, the "good" yes men will manipulate their behavior to best suit the superior.

On the other hand, you just have others who just don't like when people think badly of them, so they avoid dissenting to anything in order to prevent conflicts. Or others who are just too clueless to ever have any opinion, so they will just say "yessir" and carry out the order, even when it's clearly the wrong thing to do...the problem is that they just don't know any better...