Big dogs and apartment complexes.

Not sure where to put this so hopefully this will be ok.

So I just got a puppy, a 9month old tibetan.

the poor thing is very nervous (shelter dog) and has been mistreated in the past.

In any case, Im trying really hard to socialize him and he is doing really great.

However, my apartment building has no breed restrictions, which, at first look its great IF the owners of potentially dangerous breeds were responsible, trained their dogs and had the strenght to handled them should a situation occur.

Well, today something horrible happen. I was ready to walk my puppy, so I opened the door to my apartment, my dog walks out and I hear the jingle of leash and chains. All of a sudden two huge pit bulls are lounging at my dog. The puppy runs back inside and the pits chase after him, run into my apartment, overpowering their owner and chase my poor puppy all over the place.

Thankfully my room has two entrances, one from the bathroom and another by the hall. The one by the hall was closed so my puppy was able to run to the bathroom while i distracted the pits, ran in and closed the door.

Needless to say I was shaking like a leaf and my puppy peed on my bed out of fear.

The owner gathered his dogs and left. I have no idea who he is, or where he lives, all I know is that he lives in my floor somewhere (its a huge complex)

Now, here is my question...should I report this incident to the landlord?

I know if I do, they will probably ask the owner to get rid of the dogs....

Now...as scared as I was....i love dogs...and when i went to the shelter, I saw SO MANY pits in there....i felt so sad for them.

However, it is extremely dangerous when a owner can't handle them. In my world I would force the owner to get the dogs obedience classes and get them shorter leashes....but im sure thats not gonna be the office solutions.

This tempts me to just let it go...but im afraid I will run into these dogs again and I dont want any more problems.

This is not the first incident with big dangerous dogs in this building. Two weeks ago I was walking the pup again and we ran into this HUGE dog, like small horse size dog came up. He just smelled the puppy but i could tell he was scared so I walked away with him...all of a sudden the huge dog was charging towards us dragging the petit owner behind while she screamed at him to stop. Thankfully he just ran past us, but come on! if you can't handle your dog you prooobably should not have him or at least walk him when there is a risk of him going crazy!

Im not sure what to do...should I contact the leasing office and put a complained?

should I report this incident to the landlord?

should I contact the leasing office and put a complained?

No!

You are new at handling dogs and got in a situation that made you and your dog panic.

You'll get better at this and you will know what to do next time.

Take care and don't make yourself be hated by your neighbors.

No!

You are new at handling dogs and got in a situation that made you and your dog panic.

Um, the pit bulls ran INTO HER APARTMENT TO ATTACK HER DOG!

You sure have a way of negating people's valid concerns on here.

OP, I would try to find out who the guy is and go have a talk with him. Quietly and rationally. Then if he doesn't keep his dogs under control, you go to someone else who can make it happen.

What if these dogs ran into someone's apartment and started ripping into the child playing with his or her toys inside their own room? I'm sure it would be because the parent "got themselves into a situation that made them panic." :rolleyes:

laRubiaBonita

i would report it..... 6 times out of 10 apt. manager do not gove a flip anyways- but at least it will be documented.

Um, the pit bulls ran INTO HER APARTMENT TO ATTACK HER DOG!

The dogs were just being dogs.

Next time she opens the door and hears jingles of dogs coming she can close the door and wait for them to pass or hold her dog up for example.

People "love" to make a mess out of things it seems. Even dogs!

Next time she opens the door and hears jingles of dogs coming she can close the door and wait for them to pass or hold her dog up for example.

Here's the result of dogs just being dogs: http://http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/xml/news/2007/12/marine_devil_dogs_071208w/1210mc_Dog_Attack1_800p.JPG

And another example: http://leerburg.com/Photos/soda1.jpg

Yeah. I guess one could say they made a mess.

Correct and if left to their own behavior patterns from not being disciplined, will create problems. The OP's concern is legit and deserves recognition.

I agree with Donna...

Approach the pit bulls owner and see if a respectful resolution can be had.

I care not about the breeds so much as how the owners are in handling them in public...its ultimately the owners duty to re-train when these situation erupt.

• Author
No!

OMG are you serious?! You're blaming ME for an irresponsible owner who has TWO pitbulls he can't handle and walks them in feeble little leash they get out of??? wow

I know its not the dog's fault and my beef is mostly with owners who get dogs they can't handle. For instance, I was reading that if you want to own a dog like a pit bull you must have a strong personality and do A LOT of research and be prepared to spend good money doing obedience training with them.

Another issue is with this other lady I ran into when I was walking my pup. She was about 5 feet, 100lbs tops...her dog??? http://www.barryrudolph.com/dogs/graphics/bigdog.gif

Next thing I know, I hear her screaming "stop!!!" as her horse-dog is charging full speed towards us dragging her.

So not safe.

So dont tell me its MY fault that these people get animals they can't handle.

IN ANY CASE

I went to the leasing office and let them know what happened. I made sure I said the dogs were not vicious and that they seemed to be just playing (if they had been vicious, it would have totally be the end of both me and the puppy. I can't imagine the damage two angry pits could do). The leasing office basically asked if i knew who the owner was and since i didnt they said they were gonna give out notices throughout the apartments about leashes and controlling the dogs...

Apparently there have been a lot of issues with big dogs and people who can't control them. scary.

So yeah for now Im just gonna be extra careful when I walk out of my apartment.

thanks for the thoughtful responses by the way!