slackers vs. hard workers

Doesn't it sometimes seem like the slackers always get ahead?! I would appreciate any advice on how to be more successful at my next job.

a little Background: At work, everyone is having to take on more duties while someone is recovering from an accident, for at least a month. It's been going on now for about a week. In addition to my regular work, I've been picking up new tasks and working more hours than I should. even before this, I think I have to quit because I can't control the situation. After 1.5 years, I still haven't been given a performance review. This guy who comes in late, leaves early and doesn't even care about what he's doing or who his work affects, got a promotion after 5 months! I'm looking for another job. In the meantime I'm trying to figure out if I could be doing anything differently so work could be better.

I recently read some advice for young journalists: Don't work anywhere small and if you do, don't work hard, late or extra hours. Instead, go to the biggest paper possible and get any position even if it's making coffee.

Maybe this is true in any field? These ideas bother me. I was taught to work hard. sure I'm not the A+ hardest worker out there, but I care and I don't do half-assed projects like my coworker. Though, he must be doing something right because he just got promoted. I don't understand!!

That's the nature of the beast; happens all the time.

I've worked with slackers and halfsteppers that got raises before me.

I can't figure it how they do it!!! Maybe, I can get some tips from them. I sure would make more!

Ha'a'heo 'o Hawaii!!!

I find myself a very hard worker. I love being busy and doing a variety of tasks. But I find myself really the only one since I have been working at this one place to be doing the prep work, sweeping, etc. While the other 2 workers just wait on customers and when they don't have any costumers to wait on, then they just stand around chatting. Kinda pisses me off, but what can I do, especially when one of them is my manager. So, that is life I guess. There are always people who will get **** on such as the people who are hardworkers to do many tasks while the slackers do very minimal. So, yes I have to agree with you that sometimes slackers get ahead.

Why haven't you got a review? Have you asked for one? Have you asked for a raise? Sometimes you just have to speak up and be confident to get what you wan't if you don't people will walk all over you no matter where you work. Tell your employer that you enjoy your position and feel like you give 100% and would like to excell in their business ask them how to get the desired position/raise and work on it but don't point fingers. also if your going to leave this job ask for a letter of recomendation for the future and always give notice. you don't wan't to burn any bridges.

In addition to my regular work, I've been picking up new tasks and working more hours than I should.

Are your bosses aware you are doing these things? Don't automatically assume they are. If you don't do so already, you might consider sending them a list of your weekly accomplishments and planned tasks for the next week to ensure that they know exactly how much extra work you are doing on top of your own assignments.

Just because YOU see someone slacking off doesn't mean that person slacks off in front of the boss. It's all about perception and making sure people know what accomplishments YOU are responsible, what YOU got done, how you saved the day, etc. The quiet person who goes about their business and expects people to come to them does not win--you must speak up for yourself.

I'd be curious to know also if the guy who got promoted has the exact same skill set you do and was performing the exact same job.

After 1.5 years, I still haven't been given a performance review.

Have you asked for one?

itsalwayssomeoneelse

Let me get this straight, not only are you doing overtime for your own position, you're taking on additional responsibilities because someone's out of the office, May I ask WHY are you doing overtime in the first place??? Are you being paid for overtime or are you on salary? It makes me angry to see people who voluntarily do overtime, then turn around and complain that they aren't being recognised for doing extra work. Were you the kid in class who's the teachers pet, and would read the textbooks in the first month of classes?

Listen up, work isn't neccessarily a competition, it takes a whole new set of skill sets to get ahead in the corporate world, and just doing more than expected, and sitting by watching others get promoted is partly your fault. Get your head out of your ass, and like the other poster suggested, learn to ask for what you want, performance reviews and raises. Also make it a point to let your supervisor know what work you are doing, esp. the extra stuff.

For all I know the other people who seem like slackers to you, probably have a different job description, and might not have that much work to do, worry about your own job, and do the work thats required of you. The other thing is the slackers might be very good at what they do, and they might finish their work quicker, so it's not fair to compare yourself with others, for all we know you could be really slow, and need to work overtime to finish stuff.

There could be numerous factors why you aren't getting promoted and aren't getting a raise, maybe it's the length of time you've been in the position, maybe you're just really good at what you do and instead of moving you they prefer you to stay where you are, as for the raise part maybe the company doesn't have the funds to raise your salary, maybe the person being promoted has connections with the company. You say you're in journalism, aren't you aware that salaries are low to begin with in that field, and that there's an oversaturation of qualified candidates in that field?

I don't mean to be harsh to you, but it just makes me angry when people grumble and complain about their jobs without trying to look at the bigger picture. If you really don't like your job and your prospects there then do something about it, find another position.

Maybe this is true in any field? These ideas bother me. I was taught to work hard. sure I'm not the A+ hardest worker out there, but I care and I don't do half-assed projects like my coworker. Though, he must be doing something right because he just got promoted. I don't understand!!

The fact of the matter is this: you can be the brightest spark, the nicest person, and the hardest worker in the building, but if you are not in the right place in office politics, if you are not known by the right people, and if you are not in the right crowd, all your efforts are futile. This is not just me talking. This is me having spoken to MANY managers, HR people, and the like.

They tell you that hard work is what you need to get ahead and that's true - IF you own your own company. In somebody else's company, yes, you have to do some work, but what you really need to do is to figure out how to be a high flyer. It means schmoozing. It means networking. It stinks but it's the way the working world works in most cases. There are companies that don't work that way; they are not usually the larger companies. However, that doesn't mean small companies are any better; some are, most are not.

The hardest lesson of my life has been exactly this. I, too, thought that being honest and working hard were the keys to success - but not everyone is honest and not everyone works hard and, as you have observed, they manage to do well. This does not mean you have to abandon your values but you will have to 'play the game' to get ahead. Or, you can do as I have and decide that being a high flyer in management isn't worth the sacrifice. I'm finding fulfillment in life other ways.

It most definitely does seem like SLACKErs in all forms of the job market, school environment, & everywhere else in between wins, or gets more attention than say you or I...

And it seems to me.. at least for now that this will always be the case.. UNLESS someone finally puts there foot down.. and sets the rules, without any exceptions!!!

• Author

Dear guest "itsalwayssomeoneelse":

gee, some of your comments were kind of mean.

Were you the kid in class who's the teachers pet, and would read the textbooks in the first month of classes?

Get your head out of your ass

for all we know you could be really slow, and need to work overtime to finish stuff.
  • Author

Thanks everyone for your advice. I haven't been on here much in the past two weeks or I would have replied sooner. Even the so-called "mean" comments were needed... I have to put my foot down and ask for what I want. I've asked to be reviewed; my boss always seems to flake out at the last minute. Tuesday, my next day of work, I will ask for a review and talk about my job duties. Last week, they hired a new staff reporter and have asked me to train him to basically do my job, despite the company's supposed money troubles- no money for raises, overtime, etc.

Making a list for them outlining what I've been doing each week also sounds like a good idea. You guys are right about focusing on just doing my job well, whatever it is right now and until my coworker gets back.

The person I spoke of who got promoted has not been here as long as I, but apparently he's more of a master at schmoozing. Since my original post, I've been working 40 hours a week at the most and letting some stuff fall by the wayside, and you know what? No one's really noticed. In fact, my two editors have been thanking me for working so much.

UNLESS someone finally puts there foot down.. and sets the rules, without any exceptions!!!

Not gonna happen. Don't hold your breath.