Spookie's job search

eerie_reverie

1. If I am applying to a big corporation online, who do I address the cover letter to??

2. What has been your practice for returning calls when looking another job whilst still employed? (I'm finding the whole running to my car to call back thing exhausting and ineffective.)

Do call back and do write a thank you email / letter.

The cover letter should be generically address unless you know the interviewer.

Was this job the transfer or new?

BTW, Good luck in your search.

• Author
eerie_reverie
Do call back and do write a thank you email / letter.

The cover letter should be generically address unless you know the interviewer.

Was this job the transfer or new?

BTW, Good luck in your search.

What is "generically addressed"? "To Whom It May Concern:"?

This is new, JB... I'm in a rut, fed up with waiting for a transfer, fed up with my commute. I'm going to find a job in the city and change my life.

What is "generically addressed"? "To Whom It May Concern:"?

This is new, JB... I'm in a rut, fed up with waiting for a transfer, fed up with my commute. I'm going to find a job in the city and change my life.

Ah the rut and being fed up with the transfer.

Generally addressed as in "Dear Sir/Madam" not "To whom it may concern". That line is more like a complaint instead of job seeking.

Somewhat off topic, How is the job market? I'm doing something similar.

desertIslandCactus
1. If I am applying to a big corporation online, who do I address the cover letter to??

2. What has been your practice for returning calls when looking another job whilst still employed? (I'm finding the whole running to my car to call back thing exhausting and ineffective.)

----------------------

Can you call their Human Resources dept and ask who to address it to.

• Author
eerie_reverie
Ah the rut and being fed up with the transfer.

Generally addressed as in "Dear Sir/Madam" not "To whom it may concern". That line is more like a complaint instead of job seeking.

Somewhat off topic, How is the job market? I'm doing something similar.

The job market appears to be alright. I gave one of my friends my resume last week and they called me back almost immediately. I was supposed to interview on Friday but a work conflict came up, so now it's next week, although I kind of suspect I may have f-ed that up by asking to reschedule, and they won't be calling me back. Still, .8/1 is pretty good odds for an interview.

Well actually the fact that you gave a friend your resume to give to the company, works in your favor, for one thing.

Secondly, no way does the fact that you had to reschedule mean you messed up your chances...au contraire. You watch, they'll still be interested...actually even more interested. Let us know, ok?

• Author
eerie_reverie
Well actually the fact that you gave a friend your resume to give to the company, works in your favor, for one thing.

Secondly, no way does the fact that you had to reschedule mean you messed up your chances...au contraire. You watch, they'll still be interested...actually even more interested. Let us know, ok?

That's what my dad said... that they'd respect that I'm loyal to my current job and am prioritizing properly. Which I am. It was a legit conflict. An issue came up on a project I am working on and I knew I shouldn't leave.

Either is fine but the former is best.

Good luck, ghost! :laugh:

Either is fine but the former is best.

Good luck, ghost! :laugh:

TBF has spoken! I guess she is spooked! LOL :lmao:

OP, the referral by your friend and getting a call is a positive thing. Networking is king! I did that this weekend and got a few contacts and mentors!

That's what my dad said... that they'd respect that I'm loyal to my current job and am prioritizing properly. Which I am. It was a legit conflict. An issue came up on a project I am working on and I knew I shouldn't leave.

Your Dad's a smart guy!;) I was in human resources and we never held that kind of thing against an applicant...like I said, it was just the opposite.

TBF has spoken! I guess she is spooked! LOL :lmao:

OP, the referral by your friend and getting a call is a positive thing. Networking is king! I did that this weekend and got a few contacts and mentors!

Very true. I mean the very fact that they didn't just get your resume randomly through email or snail mail but through a person who works for the company, gives you a leg up on the competition.

Good luck!

• Author
eerie_reverie

Thanks, yall. Just submitted a cover letter addressed to a dear sir or madam.

Some of these online apps take hours to get through!

• Author
eerie_reverie

Here's a confession: I've never been to a job interview. I've never even been to a fake job interview. I also have no idea what it means to act professional, even though I believe I'm personally likable, and come off as smart.

I'm intimidated by kids who went to business school and know exactly what to do/ say in every situation.

You'll be fine. Just answer the interviewers questions as honestly as you can and be yourself. Oh and dress professionally too and turn off cell phone.;) You'll be fine, I'm sure.

Oh and you said you have no idea what "acting professionally" means. It just means to be very polite and courteous. Shake the interviews hand when meeting them. Thank them for the opportunity and for their time. Shake their hand at the end. That's pretty much all it means to act professionally....just common every day courtesy.

1. Call and ask who to address it to, do not write "To Whom It May Concern".

2. Always return phone calls from potential employers, regardless of where you are in your employment search and/or employment status.

• Author
eerie_reverie

Well, the place I asked to reschedule never called me back. I am guessing my particular style of phone-tagging was rather unprofessional and they were turned off by that - who knows.

But I am not disappointed... because I love my job. :love: In the past couple of days I've realized I am so antsy to leave because it's been about 3 years, and historically, that's when I start to get antsy. But leaving a company I love just because I crave change is not the right decision. I need to start with my personal life, and failing that, I should probably look internally first. It's been a year since I asked for a transfer... perhaps the time is ripe for me to ask again, based on professional reasons this time.

Thanks a lot to everyone who posted in this thread.

So... I have an interview Wednesday. Why do I feel like a traitor?

I felt the same way... and I cried when I gave my notice to my boss.

• Author
eerie_reverie
Well, why do you?

Because I made my work fam love me and now I'm gonna abandon them?? Just as I'm starting to become somewhat valuable thanks to all the investments they've made in me???

• Author
eerie_reverie
I felt the same way... and I cried when I gave my notice to my boss.

How is your new job working out??

How is your new job working out??

Couldn't be happier. I am excited to go to work everyday, and a little sad when the workday is over.

When I saw them calling, I'd pick up my cell phone and quickly leave the office, and then answer, and ask them to hold until I got outside of ear shot of anyone at the firm. They always understood.

• Author
eerie_reverie
Couldn't be happier. I am excited to go to work everyday, and a little sad when the workday is over.

That's great to hear!